Saturday, March 7, 2009

Sea Urchin Searchin'...









Looking for wana (pronounced "vana")... yes, we were on a mission to find some, what better way to prepare for another gorgeous Hawaiian sunset...

It's been said I spend TOO much time in bikini's at the beach for a pro triathlete. I take that as a compliment. While that's not entirely true ALL the time, this week it is. It's recovery week. And being a mom does not mean I get to put the feet up and lay around all week, I do "mom" things.

Today's mom thing to top off the recovery week was to scout out sea urchins. My sister keeps telling Kainoa "don't touch". I had to let him know it's okay... he was a bit nervous at first because auntie kept telling him the poison is going to get him (and it can, but there are WAYS to handle them). So we did. Like a typical boy he was all about finding every last one of them once he "survived" the first touch...

The first "for real" race of the season is only 3 weeks away. I'm starting to feel less like an off-season mess and more like an athlete little by little. For sure there is a TON of work to do and I'm up for the challenge. The longer off season gave me a HUGE mental relief and some much needed "refreshment". Now the body just needs to come along for the ride...

Anyways, after searchin' for sea urchins I came to realize that we are only afraid of the things we are warned about or told about because other people have fear of it. I bet Kainoa would never have thought twice about playing with the pokey little creature if my kid sister didn't tell him it's a little poisonus monster. That got me thinking about the ocean (of course). So many people fear it because of things they hear or read about. Really it is simply incredible...

My swim coach is the most oceanic-contious-knowledable fearless ocean swimmer I know. He swims for miles out to sea. Over and over he tells me to go play out there without fear. He has even showed me a great secret spot to swim where tourists don't go so I can swim alone...

I must share a foto of just how incredibly fearless Coach Steve is of the ocean and all that swims in it... check this out, it's him, in our sea, enjoying one of the ocean dwellers...


Today is a good day to let go of those fears...

.

20 comments:

ADC said...

Gorgeous photos Bree (as always). What is your first race? And keep spending your time in bikinis - enjoy life.

Bruce Stewart (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Great post. Anyway, I hope you don't go alone on those long mystery swims, after all you need someone to take a photo of you next to one of those sea creatures!
As for swim attire, I at least overcame my fear of wearing the swimsuit that men consider "normal" here. Not sure I would want to run dressed like that down Alii Drive every day, though. Flip turns feel a little easier than with the previous longer variety.

Rory said...

There is nothing to fear, but fear itself. Go have fun!

TriGirl Kate O said...

Wow, I hope that is a nurse shark! Your time on the beach with Kainoa is precious--enjoy every second of it.

Amy Beth Kloner said...

Please identify that fish!! What are we talking here? And who is your swim coach? Long lost brother of the late Steve Irwin?
Unless that's a funny-looking dolphin, I say he's got some major cojones!!!!

t-odd said...

Is that a whale shark? Because that is SOOOOO cool. I LOVE the ocean and I am here, stuck in freshwater land, but I appreciate it more when I get to see it - as I will in a few weeks in FLA. Fears are funny things, they can keep you safe, but they can also keep you from reaching your potential and experiencing every good thing the world has to offer. Keep teaching that fearlessness!

Sue said...

the pics are always fun..the stories are great..you are a wonderful athlete..but the mom in you is the best..

Meredith said...

I enjoy your 'non-tri' related posts lately...keep those coming...great pic at the bottom....how many bikini's DO YOU HAVE?? I think I only own one!! hahahh!!!!

Jen said...

You seem like an absolutely wonderful mom! What important lessons you are teaching Kainoa, and you lead well by example!
Have a great Sunday!
Can't wait til the first big race!

jessica rae kirkwood said...

I love your posts. Especially the one the other week about your thoughts during your runs.

Ain't that the truth.

ps - I"m not doing lavaman. I haven't been training :( For the best, for the best.

Good luck, I may have to get those raw balls from you in June :)

Natalie said...

What you say is very true about our fears. I was never afraid of what was in the water in our simple lakes here in the midwest until a friend of mine said (while we were watersking, mind you) that she was afraid of the "little fishies coming up to bite her feet." Ever since then, it has always been in my head. Hence, I'm working hard to overcome my fears and face them head on (been blogging about it)!

Good luck in 3 weeks at your first race! In the meantime, enjoy all those days at the beach with K! Before you know it, he will be out-surfing you on those big waves!

allyson said...

Too much time on the beach, there is never too much time. I love the pictures and they keep me motivated.

Steve Stenzel said...

There's no such thing as "TOO much time in a bikini!" Blasphemy!!!

And great pics! Reminds me of my time in Cozumel!

rr said...

How lucky is Steve to see that whale shark!! Awesome.

Your swim coach is also friendly and welcoming to all the pool-crashers who show up from Oahu.. he's an awesome guy!

Love the Kainoa beach pics.. so fun.

Javier said...

Awesome pictures

Teresa said...

Great post! We spend so much time fearing what could happen instead of realizing that we have already been through so much and we can make it through anything. Taking time to realize that we learn from our fears is important. You are a great mom in teaching Kainoa to face his fears and to be cautious at the same time. Really enjoyed your photos!
AMAZING!

Jill Costantino said...

AMAZING photos! Knowledge can do wonders - your lil guy is a fortunate guy to have you as his mom.

Charisa said...

WHOA crazy pic! And you have got to be the most wonderful mom in the world Bree!

CoachLiz said...

I want to go searchin' for urchins! Very cool photo of your friend swimming with the big shark-fish creature.

Jenna said...

This prairie girl would have an absolute heart attack if i saw anything like that in the water with me. No question. I hate swimming alone because then I think the "monsters" can target me. If i am part of a group (as in a race) I just try not to be hanging off the end of a pack. Yes, I think I need help! LOL

Great pictures once again!!