Thursday, March 5, 2009

That's Why...

In the ocean of Mal Pais...

Got home from a nice ride, plopped down to a massive egg & spinach burrito, and wanted to call it a day. Done. Feet up, be still, just sit...

It was one of those days.

Looming over my head was 45 minutes till my run. If it was just a "go run" kind of run I would be happy to do it. It was different though, it was the kind that the mind has to be "on" to make it worth doing. 8 miles with 3x1 mile at sub 6 minute pace. All I had to do was break 6 minutes 3x. Considering it is my job, a pace coach picked for me, and I can do it (I've done it before, in fact one time I did it 8x with my running buddy Cody). I knew it was possible, but I was not in the right focus, my mind felt so challenged for that run on this day... One of those days.

As I sat with my face full of eggs I started to think about triathlon and how something I love and adore has given me so much, so, so, so much. In return I just needed to "tuffen up" and go get the run done...it was still one of those days...

I looked on my counter top and saw a box I had yet to open. Opening the box in that moment would give me 5 or so more minutes to procrastinate before I run. The box now wide open, I pull out a pink shirt. On the shirt are a bunch of logos. Logos of companies that believe in me, invest time, energy, resources, and finances on me. In that moment it hit me that I can not have "one of those days". I owe it to them, to me, to go run.

Holding that shirt in my hand with all the love of my supporters gave me the strength from within to JUST GO DO IT. Sincerely, in that very moment I was so happy to go run. Guilt came over me that I even let the temptation to slack entertain me after the opportunities I have been given.

Of course I started my warm up way too fast. That always happens when I am excited about running. As I was running down Ali'i I thought of my friends in Costa Rica who all want visas so they can come visit the island, I thought of all the people that would give almost anything to just be in Hawaii and see Ali'i Drive. It made me run faster. I thought about Kainoa in school and how I am an example to him to NEVER EVER stop chasing dreams and to work hard, so hard, for everything. That gave me more energy.

On my first mile repeat I thought of a friend who is about to get married and just lost his job 4 days ago. I thought of my friends who just left the island because they also lost their jobs. It almost made me cry, this is my job, I still have it, I have to make it count, for them I wanted to run faster and harder.

On mile 2 I looked out over the ocean and thought about how when I am on my period I can still run. It brought back memories of my girl friends in Mal Pais, CR who couldn't afford tampons and spent nearly 4 days every month at the beach, in the ocean, just to stay clean. It made me want to run for them. Still peeking out over the ocean I thought about my mission trips to Honduras and Belize. I played basket ball and soccer with children who had unbelievable talent at sport but would most likely never have a chance to become a professional athlete because they lack any opportunity at all. I wanted to run faster for them...

2 mile repeats in the bank. They hurt, I wanted to hurt, I wanted to suffer for my friends and family that are hurting while I am enduring such a beautiful life. My 3rd repeat was about enjoying what I do. I waved at every runner I passed, I smiled to every car that honked. I wanted the smile on my face to really show just how much I appreciate my job and how thankful I am to have been given this chance. A chance so many may never ever know...

It's now evening and my head is spinning. It was one of those runs that I should have stopped to hydrate, been more smart running in the Kona heat. During the run none of that was on my mind... it was just running for those that gave me this chance...

I'm pretty sure that run didn't get the embassy to give my friends their visa, save anyone's job, provide tampons to some girls at the beaches of Mal Pais, or pave a road for children to have a way to reach dreams. For now, it's something closer to home... it's letting my son see anything is possible when you just have one person that believes in you. I was fortunate enough to pull a shirt full of logos out of a box that got me going. And for Kainoa, it taught me to always be the logo on everything he does...

.

24 comments:

MJ said...

Great post. Congrats on being so well centered, adjusted (or whatever the right word is).... I have dredged up motivation from some odd places in the past but never on such a meaningful level.

I'm going to have to think about this type of thing a bit more....

Hope you went <6 every time :)

D said...

I know you know that I know (uh... right?), but I'm telling you some more. You are amazing!

Ordinarylife said...

What a fantastic post!!!

ADC said...

I have said this before and I am saying it again, Bree, you are such an ispiration. I have goose bumps by just reading this.

Missy said...

I needed this because I really don't want to leave for the pool at 430am:( I'm leaving right now, I swear!

Chloe said...

Thanks Bree - that is exactly that I needed to read right now. Thanks for the inspiration!

Chloe

Kona Shelley said...

You are an amazing gal, always thinking of others!

Jen said...

I LOVE this story!!!

I am also going to repeat what I have told you before...
what an inspiration you are Bree!!!
Thank you so much for sharing this story and having such a beautiful heart!
I absolutely adore you Bree Wee. :)

runningyankee said...

this is definately something to read over and over again and then once more. thanks for another great post! only thing is.. now i'm craving an egg burrito...

Natalie said...

What a poetic post! Kainoa is blessed to have you as his mom! Keep up the hard work!

Cricket said...

I know I shouldn't be laughing about the tampons???? But... you know me!
I love this post- It reminds me to keep going. Inspires me that you too have these moments. You're real kiddo!
You let everyone know that the difference in our success or failure is not chance, but choice.
Thanks! Now I'll go do my run!

Jenna said...

Awww. That is a great post. First off, of all your successes in life - your little boy will be your greatest!! YOU are a great mom!! I love how you take your own struggles and turn it around to see how you can make life better for your son. And, you are a great example of how choosing your mindset can alter your day! Bravo!!

MadisonDuo said...

Fantastic post! I love how you find the littlest things in life i.e., the shirt, that make such a positive impact on your own being, on your son, etc. I love the 'logo' analogy for you and your lil man :)

If I ever make it out to Kona and I see you running, don't get freaked out when a woman comes up to you wanting a hug, cause that will be me :)

I always say 'run like the wind and never look back' and you are the epitomy of this...you make your mistakes, you learn from them, and move on with a huge smile on your face!

Thanks for this awesome post this morning!

Katie said...

I can't thank you enough for all your great posts - this was one of the best. Thanks for sharing your life with all of us who read your blog. We are always cheering for you - in a race or in life!

Teresa said...

Great post! Keep believing in your self as others believe in you!!!d

Shan said...

Amazing post, Bree! It's a good reminder that we need to appreciate every moment, and put in "the work" because no one else will do it for us!

I believe in you!!! :)

t-odd said...

What a fantastic post! You are certainly blessed to be able to do what you love AND appreciate it. Times are tough, it's true, but there is still so much to be thankful for and there is always a "little someone" looking up to us. Stay strong!

Charisa said...

I'm going to have to try this next time I don't want to do the run - especially the type that takes 100% focus. I'm so happy you appreciate all that you have and the opportunity to be pro - so cool! :)

Amber Dawn said...

what a great post Bree. You are an amazing woman, and athlete. Thanks for sharing what goes on in the mind of a true champion!

allyson said...

Wow, thanks for the post, I realized I should be more thankful for everything, less than an hour ago I was moaning and groaning and everything else about the slow moving people at the grocery store.

Leah said...

Beautiful post. Great perspective. Thank you!

Dolphin Boy said...

Miss your burritos!! Yummy...
Will jump with you anyday....will let you know when I can go!

tinaparker87 said...

Thanks for a great post. You have a purpose in life and it will be great to see how you manage to keep it all together. Lavaman will be here soon!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Simply lovely story Bree.