Thursday, April 16, 2009

Coach, You Owe Me Break Pads!

You know how every week there is that one special training day? The one that will really kick you where it counts, takes up all your day, or scares your pants off? Thursday was the day on my schedule that had me scared all week long. I decided to just quit looking at it, talking about it, and thinking about it.

Last night I tried to convince the local boys it would be INCREDIBLE, that they would love it, and that they should do it (it would be really good for them). Sam C. was the first one to say yes. Then Dave. Then Kevin & Jahn. That morning in the parking lot we even talked Sam B. into rolling out of the parking lot with us. Sam B. is one of the most fun people you will ever meet. He really has no interest in winning any race. His ultimate goal in life is to one day beat 8yr old Madeline Foo (only problem is she keeps getting faster and he is getting older...). So he came for warm ups...

During warm ups I broke out my camera. I had too. I almost fell off my bike riding with Sam B. We never ride together, this was a treat. He asked when do we take a break from sprinting and why do we sprint warm up (this was at 13mph). It was awesome! Sam you are AWESOME!

Okay, let the fun begin. After warm ups we had a 60 min. TT, then a 30 min. recovery, then a 30 min. TT, then a 30 min. base. Not so bad, I like it. I've learned to make peace with it. After that was a climb up Hina Lani to that wonderful hill named Kaloko. Seriously, coach must have some infatuation with that hill because I have done it now 3x in a month. I don't even want to talk about it anymore. It's that hill that just goes straight up. The one cars barely get up, the one that takes me almost 90 minutes for 10 miles (if you go from Queen K to the top left). The one that takes your breath away and is freezing at the top (thank you elevation). That hill.

Kevin is the only one who climbs Hina Lani with me and I could not have been more thankful. That hill really isn't too bad just cruising, but to push, it hurts. He pushes me the entire way and gives me all the courage I need to "embrace it". Then he rides me to the bottom of Kaloko and tells me, "Each pedal stroke will get you closer to the top Bree". He gives me some more confidence, boosters then tells me adios, he had work.

I have never ridden Kaloko alone, it's not the climb that scares me, I love it actually. I would ride up it every week if it were my call. It's the down hill that makes me cry. It's just ridiculous if you ask me. Lance Armstrong rode Kaloko and said there is not a single hill in the Tour De France like it. That means there is not a single down hill like it, that means I will never need to practice this down hill because I will never see this down hill in any, ANY, any race ever in my life. It's just ridiculous.
I climb all by myself up, up, up the giant hill into the clouds. I find so much joy in this climb, I've learned to love it and embrace it. Not to mention it is beautiful. In fact, 5wks after I gave birth to Kainoa I ran up it in the "Run Till You Ralph Race & Pedal Till Ya Puke". Every year Kona has a giant race up it (runners and cyclists go at it). Not too much to tell about the climb, one pedal stroke at a time, closer to the top. Once to the top there is a left side street that is just shy of a mile and 17-21% grade. That part, I was lucky, I got to do it twice.

After the climb I was told to RIDE DOWN. Coach was serious. He knows me, he knows I would call for a ride down or stick my thumb out & hitch a ride down (I've been known to do both). Little Miss Chicken (that would be me) held the brakes the WHOLE WAY DOWN!

Look at my hands at the bottom of the hill! I held the brakes for dear life, SO tight. I even held up 4 cars behind me because I rode in the middle (I was scared a mongoose would jump out and I'd hit it and crash). It was just ridiculous. My hands hurt so bad, worse then my legs. Then I looked at my brakes, um... small problem, I wore the pads right off. I went down the hill about 4mph, not even moving. Seriously, people even waved at me, who in their right mind thought I would take my hands off the brakes and wave back!? Honestly!

Feet firmly back on the ground, back to sea level... life was good again. I must confess, I was pretty darn proud of myself to go down the hill solo. I felt like a million bucks after that, talk about cloud nine, but I'm never riding down again. Point proved, I can ride down the hill. No more need to prove it again (PLEASE HEAR THAT COACH?!)

Off the bike for a little transition run in the sun. Just the way I like it. Thank you to the boys this morning for the laughter during warm ups, the push on the TT, for the help getting up Hina Lani, and for the encouragement to tackle Kaloko solo!!

Tomorrow I will be looking for new brake pads. Coach I will send you the bill... ha ha!

Happy Training everyone!
.

24 comments:

Maggs said...

Downhill is way more tiring sometimes. Especially on the arms.

rr said...

Ouch, your poor hands! I want to come ride that with you someday.. it puts our measly tantalus to shame. And I'm with you on the brakes.. I'm a sissy too.

Samantha said...

I would've done kaloko with you!...ok, behind you probably but I'd be there.

D said...

It takes me soooo long (even driving) to get climbs like that around these parts. Of course, I'm secretly glad that's case ;)

Go Gammie said...

Way to go Bree!!! Just think if Coach has you average 3 Kaloko climbs per month,,, ok, scrap that thought. The brake pads will get expensive! When you were talking about Kaloko climb, I thought, "what about water, what about gels, salt tabs?" and you had to take it all with you and carry the weight!!! And also do the top road 2 X. You are amazing, no one there to cheer you on and you did it, way to go!!!! You have a great work ethic and are inspirational to so many of us :)
Enjoy Friday and have a great weekend!!!

ADC said...

Wow, that looks painful. I on the contrary love downhills on my own, never in a group because I really don't trust myself. Way to go Bree, well done.

Missy said...

Not just your hands, your shoulders and arms had to be spent after you made it down...but my HUGE arms could take it;) HAHAHA! The smell of burning break pads in the sun.

Nice work...off to the pool!

Bruce Stewart (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

At least in the Tour de France you would have 200 bicycles six inches behind you hurtling down the hill. Your staying in one piece is more important than riding at 65 mph. Take care. Just go slowly down and enjoy the breeze and scenery.

FLATOUT JIM said...

I still like down hill better. Course I have never done a verticle drop either.

You Hawaiians are crazy. Hey is that even a word?

Oscarjet said...

Que carreteras tan bonitas para entrenar ! muy buen entreno y muy buenas las fotos , me gustan mucho!
Que pases un buen dia !!

Sherry said...

OMG! Could. not. do. "Florida" downhills scare me! Ha! Keep me on the flats!

Congrats on making it down... alive & unscathed!

Jennifer Harrison said...

Yeah, that is ME too. total loser on the downhills. I am like that in Tucson down Mt. Lemmon- each time I do it I get a little more brave. But, last time we were in Tucson, Jerome had to switch out my brake pads!!!!

IronBob (swimming upstream at IMAZ 08) said...

You know. Tell coach you really dont want to hurt yourself working toward your goal to be tops in the World. I dont think you will see inclines like that in your races (will you?). Tell him the "old, wiseman" said so.

The morning of IMAZ last year, I met some really "wise" IMers at a Denny's race morning. There mantra was "Dont forget to enjoy and embrace the day". Something to remind ourselves of daily.

ps: I think Sam B and I would get along great. From what you mentioned, he lives the "mantra"

CoachLiz said...

Bree, I should get you to ride around Lake Tahoe with me. The first time I did that ride I swear that there was smoke coming up from my break pads, lol. Now I really love those downhills at 43 mph and the wind making my eyes water and burn so I cannot see a dang thing!

LOVE IT!!!

Are the mongoose critters as skittish as squirrels? If so, be careful of those varmints.

Bob Almighty said...

Well on Rev3 there is a big' ol down hill going down Route 254 luckily it's a straight shot...

On the new brake pads..Coach looks like he has deep pockets...go Carbon :)

t-odd said...

Imagine the grip strength you are developing. You will put people on their knees when you shake hands. See if you can get a set of disk brakes - kills the aero, but you go through fewer break pads.

Wes said...

Note to self: Sam is favored Kona training partner when in town...

Downhills ARE SO MUCH FUN! I thought that was our reward for working so hard to get up there! Last year, in SC, I hit 46 mph going downhill. I was in the big big ring and yelling: weeeeeeeeee!

:-)

Natalie said...

Ouch! How long did the descent take that your hand is that red? The mongoose sounds like a fierce predator. His buddies are probably in the bushes saying "10 points for each triathlete...but 15 if you get Wee!" LOL

Charisa said...

The boys I ride with LOVE the Palomar descent. I hate it because my hands start cramping by the end by holding the brakes too long . . . Glad I'm not alone :)

Amanda said...

Ha Ha! Every time I start to get a little confident on the downhills, i hit a bump, freak, hit the brakes!

Nice work on the uphills...you're tough!

Thanks for the suggestion on the tea. I'll check it out :)

Bob Spory said...

That sounds just terrible! Maybe you should have some one meet you at the top and drive you down? Not like you are going to decend like that in a race?

Chloe said...

Holy cow! I would have ridden in the middle of the road as well! One random rodent would have knocked you off!! But that sounds like an awesome workout. Wish we had hills like that around my beaches! :)

allyson said...

jeez, those hands. I am sure I have never rode 10th of that kind of hill and my downhills scare me. I cant even imagine. Way to go.

beth said...

i'm with you- hitch a ride next time- you proved you can do it... your poor hands- have they recovered!?