Monday, April 20, 2009

CSI Kona...

Mission: To find a bike that Brent and I swam over 2 weeks ago.

Location
: On the way to the Ironman buoy, about 400-500 meters off shore, directly in front of a row of 10 lawn chairs. (that's as good as my directions get)

Who
: I invited anyone who felt like looking for a bike on the ocean floor, only Randy, Leann, and Phoebe showed up.




It was finally time, time to find that white bike I have been thinking about for nearly 2wks! Honestly, the reality of actually finding it was slim-to-none. The ocean is HUGE and DEEP. When the CSI Kona crew showed up I tried to give them my best directions. "In front of this row of 10 lawn chairs, about 400-500 meters out." Over coral & reefs filled with vana we go...

It was hilarious to witness four of us spread out deep in the sea looking for a bike nobody had ever seen but me. I am sure they were looking for a "bike", one you could maybe pull up to shore and ride. We looked, searched, swam, searched more, and laughed hysterically as we really had no clue where to look other than in front of some lawn chairs...









As we got deeper and deeper out to sea, where the water was cool and calm I felt so close. I had this strange feeling I had seen the same coral heads and sand tracks before. The ocean bottom isn't really changing, maybe I did recognize the area....

I saw the bike! I screamed so loud I am sure people on shore were about to call for a rescue crew. The CSI Kona crew came swimming over... they looked... and came up laughing! I am sure they were as excited as I was to find the bike, just not sure they knew it would be such an ugly old piece of junk...

Look at my bike!


Can you see it?! Way down there? I tried to touch it, I think I need a tank! A little too deep for me... my ears almost exploded!







It was so exciting to see it again. Truth be told I was not going to rest till we found it. Now I've seen it so I can move on... no more bike-searching during every single open water swim!












There really is nothing like being under water... it is absolutely amazing!! A whole other world for sure. After playing mermaids we all had work to do. What a great way to start the day though!! Just as we set foot on shore we looked back to admire the beauty of the ocean we just played in.

Little did we know, following us in were a handful of open-water life guards...

If you are ever in Kona and want a really fun ocean adventure, just swim out about 400-500 meters in front of 10 lawn chairs on the way to the Ironman buoy, there is a bike down there!

.

39 comments:

Maggs said...

When I read your FB yesterday I was hoping you'd post about it. I wonder if someone got frustrated during IM and tossed their bike off the cliff and it drifted down there. Or maybe someone was looking to really shorten T1?

Chloe said...

That was the best post ever!! And I totally agree with the theory that someone was looking to shorten T1 :)

Thanks for sharing the amazing pictures!!

Chloe

triitagain said...

How cool to find that bike again! Thank you so much for your kind comments on my blog. I have admired you since your Simply Stu interview. Good luck this year!

Cy said...

What a awesome day- those photos are priceless!!

Natalie said...

Those photos are amazing! You get some of the best pics ever. Seriously, what kind of camera do you have (I despise mine and am in the market for a new one).

Looks like a fun time...wish I could have been in Kona today to join you.

rr said...

Gorgeous photos! And so fun that you found it!!

Teresa said...

THAT looks like fun! What a blast you must have had with your friends too and finding the treasure is the best!
tn

Phoebe said...

gotta get the documentation to the lab now. haha! fun pics Bree:)

Dolphin Boy said...

Nice...I like picture number 35!!!

Oscarjet said...

Como dije ayer....donde vivies es el paraiso !! como te llevas la camara de fotos para entrenar nadando????
Increibles fotos en el mar !!! Increibles !
:-D

ADC said...

Amazing photos. Bike in the ocean 0 that is sooo cool. CSI???? You only need Agent DiNozzo :)))

Amanda said...

Love the pics! How fun!

Sherry said...

Woah... today's pictures are extra gorgeous!

I couldn't help of think of the movie "Stand By Me" while I was reading your post. Of course, I'm glad that you were searching for a bike and not what the boys in the movie were searching for.

I have a feeling that you'll continue to look for that bike every time you swim in that area. It's like this little treasure just waiting to be found over and over again.

BTW, WHAT kind of camera is that?? Amazing!!!

Trigirlpink said...

THAT was the best picture story telling EVER! Love it!

Bree....when I come in Kona I'm expecting a chartered swim out to see the bike when I come, ok? :-)

IronBob (swimming upstream at IMAZ 08) said...

Didn't I see in some of your old pictures that you rode Scott last year? You didn't dump the Scott out there, did you? Antonio didn't make you do it, did he?

Cricket said...

Ahhhhhhhhhhh. I wish I was there. That looks like a blast.
Great pictures & Great Times.
So happy You are happy!
*** Bron needs a bike!

Marni said...

Those pics are awesome! Is that a digita water proof camera? Those pics came out amazing!
Isn't the ocean amazing!
-marn

t-odd said...

I didn't get that invitation. The pic of the three of you on the beach looking out to sea reminds me a lot of "Blue Crush" (but you three are WAAAAY hotter.) And I totally agree there is nothing like being underwater - I would never get out of the ocean if I had that to look at all the time. The bike - it's a mind game - "enjoy your swim, you have 112 miles on this when you finish."
Remind me to commit a crime the next time I am in Kona so you all can investigate.

Running~Jordan said...

magical

Go Gammie said...

That is so cool that you actually found the bike again!!! Great underwater photos, they turned out so well. Mission accomplished!!!
Have a great time at your next 2 races. St Croix will be sweet now that you have done Kaloko so many times!!! Your the Best!!!

Benson said...

Ah, Soooooo Cool!
I love all the pics.
I heart the 3 mermaids *wolf whistle*

Charisa said...

NICE bike! :)

snowygrl said...

Looks like so much fun.. I started counting down the days till Kyle and I are on the island. can't wait 30 days :)!!

Runner Leana said...

That's awesome that found the bike! I definitely wonder how it got out there...

SixTwoThree said...

This was without a doubt one of the funnest posts I've read. What a great escape to look at these pics. What a crack up!

Bob Almighty said...

I think that might be either Normann's bike from 05 or the aftermath of Mark Allen's victory party in 89...I'm leaning more toward the Mark Allen theory as it looks like an 80's 10 speed.

Also great underwater shots.

Maria said...

Awesome adventure, awesome pics!

Jennifer Cunnane said...

Oh wow, I think I actually want to swim now... just not in a pool but the ocean! Thanks for sharing the pictures are great!

kerrie said...

i am totally going to look for the bike next time i am there since i know EXACTLY where that spot is ;). but what i really want to know, where are you carrying your camera when you swim?

Amber Dawn said...

amazing pics! Looks like a great place to spend the morning :-)

Coach Liz said...

How much fun! It is great that you got to share that with a group of friends. I would have loved to be on that search party.

Bob Mitera said...

Great pics and great article. It will be fun to watch you race this year.

Cheers

Brent Poulsen said...

awesome! I cant believe you found the bike! dang i miss Kona, good luck this weekend

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

That is just the COOLEST story ever.

beth said...

i love this story. and the photos are amazing. will you be my photgrapher?!?!

Bruce Stewart (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

If I had been in that last picture, I would have stood out, just like Phoebe did. The lifeguards were wise to come out, as you three girls should never be alone so far from shore.

Ordinarylife said...

What awesome pictures!

Now I guess the questions is why is it out there...

Viv said...

You all look like too much fun!! That is so funny about that bike down in the ocean, what a trip. Keep rocking that training in Florida and keep smiling!

Jenna said...

Great pics and you tell your tales with so much energy :)