Saturday, April 25, 2009

Double Coffee Day...



I'm not a coffee drinker, but if I was, today would be a double coffee kind of day! Driving in Florida is so different than it was when I lived here and so different than driving in Kona (around and around and around). Remembering things like $1.00 to get over a bridge, on and off ramps, 4 lanes of traffic in EACH direction, and merging, what's that anyway?, had me fearing for my life. I finally made it to St. Pete for bike check in and the lovely meeting. Once in St. Pete I accidentally missed an exit, drove down a street that was blocked off for St. Anthony's Triathlon, then drove down a one way street in the wrong direction! By the time my heart rate reached 210 I decided to just pay for parking (that is so against my rules), coach would be proud I wasn't being cheap for once...

Did I mention while driving down the blocked off road (still not sure how I ever even made it on that road) I drove right on by 2 of my sponsors, excited to see them I honked so loud, only drawing more attention to myself when I should have been hiding for driving on that road-illegally!

Safely parked it was time for reinforcements... expo's scare me BIG time, so do pro meetings. Immediately I teamed up with Josh Schott and Travis Blanton (da manager), 2 of my biggest supporters. We made some jokes, laughed, I got to take their picture (you know I LOVE my camera), and I even convinced Travis into attending the pro meeting with me! YES! I wouldn't have to be the nerd sitting by herself!!!! Finally I was calmed down... enough to make a joke that is... more on that later...

Look at Katya (my team mate) in the back ground on the poster! I can get her to autograph one for you, but it'll cost you...

After that it was time to visit K-Swiss! Not only do I love being part of the K-Swiss family I love the NEW BLUE SHOES! They look like under water bubbles! They remind me of snorkeling...and yes, tomorrow I am wearing BRAND new shoes during a race (okay, so it's only a training day for me) but I am using them. That rule: don't wear new shoes on a race day, I think it only goes for new shoes you never even heard of. I've been in the K-Swiss since December and they have been amazing for me, I'm trusting them again.

Back to that little joke...

Coach knows I'm scared of the pro meetings, so the manager and I had a plan. He sent a message to coach saying I am nowhere to be found. Later another one that I am lost. Then after the meeting a message that the meeting is long over and I never showed. Coaches orders were: FIND HER! We pretended I was still lost, in a surf shop or something, scared to show face at the meeting. A few minutes later we sent this foto (above) to his phone saying he found me having my 7th hot dog... poor coach...he is getting more grey hair by the day!

On the drive back to my family I made some Kona calls. Wanted to hear about the surf, the group ride, how everyone is. Tomorrow is the Captain Cook Challenge. For about 45 seconds I got sad hearing about it. I love racing at home, one thing I never want to lose is the small town girl in me that enjoys the local races more than anything. When I got into sport I never imagined I would one day be flying to beautiful places, amazing races, and getting to race against some of the best athletes in the world. At times I am so scared & intimidated. Other times I want to challenge myself to see just how far I can go in sport. In both cases I am thankful for where I came from and where I just might go with all of this. Today really helped me feel that with the support my sponsors lavished upon me...

Heading into tomorrow, training day or not, thank you so much to all my sponsors and family, this is all possible because of you!

Back to the parents it was time for dinner from the grill and a golf cart ride (my parents ride that thing EVERY NIGHT!) Kainoa will be driving it solo by the time we leave here! It has been wonderful being around my family this week. If you happen to be at St. Anthony's tomorrow and need a fan club you can share mine! MY ENTIRE Florida family will be there, first or last place they will root for you as if it's the Olympics!

Have a great Sunday everyone!

.

17 comments:

Jen said...

See you tomorrow, Bree!
Good luck!!! :)

Chloe said...

Ok - I have those shoes and LOVE THEM! I raced in them today (for the first time) - and giggled with happiness how great my feet felt :)

And I think that golf carts are a staple in florida!

Good luck tomorrow and have fun with the family!!

Mama Simmons said...

your coach is a trooper! ;) Have fun tomorrow!

D said...

MORE CUTE SHORTS!! Seriously, if they are only available in HI I'm gonna be pissed.
Have fun!!

kerrie said...

have fun tomorrow! say hi! to my bff brooke d. if you see her out there racing. it is her first "real" pro race tomorrow!!!
enjoy it!!

Maggs said...

Good luck and have fun tomorrow.

Kiet said...

Go get 'em Bree. And FYI, you are one of those fast pro's you talked about racing against. I'm sure there is some other female pro out there in blogland saying the same thing about you.

Go Gammie said...

Have a great weekend and a great race Bree!!! I agree with Kiet,,, you are the new intimadator. You are going to do awesome this weekend!! Glad to see you are having a nice time with your family :) Hi 5 to you!!!

chr15 said...

Woo hoo!!! Race fast Bree!

Would ya be open to negotiation on that signed pic of Katya??? She's on the front of Triathlete's world this month too.

Bruce Stewart (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Is that your younger or older sister in the golf cart? I know the race starts in about a couple of hours and I will be as nervous as you. I hope it goes well for you.

triitagain said...

Good Luck, will keep up with you via TriBoomers Live TwitterCast.

Stacy

Sherry said...

Hope all went well today. Lots of wind out there today! Heard the age-group swim was cancelled. Yikes! Rough stuff! Excited to read your race report... I'm sure you made it the best 'training' day possible. :o)

CoachLiz said...

Hope it went well today. I cannot wait to hear all about it. Your coach better have a good sense of humor is all I can say. I had to reprimand a bunch of my athletes who went out to the International Festival drinking last night and did not show up to this morning's ride.

My text was: "Beer makes you slow."

IronBob said...

Great race today, even though you should have brought your surf board for the swim. Thanks for being so nice and cordial when I interrupted you and your family after the race to introduce myself. Also, I hope I didn't break any rules in T2 transition telling you you were in 6th, 2 minutes down (I really have no clue as to most of the USAT rules are. I still think we should be able to wear Ipods, especially us IMers)
CHEERS.

Oscarjet said...

Me gustan tus nuevas zapatillas !
Disfrutalas ! Sonrie siempre ! es energia pura !!
abrazos !

allyson said...

I love my kswiss sneaks too, they are so much wider than any other sneaker and fit my fat foot perfectly. Hope your race went well and you had tons of fun.

Missy said...

Congrats on St. Anthony's - I was caught up in my own world so I'm just catching up on everyone else. Can't wait to hear the race details. Family is goooood!!!