Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A Lot Like Heaven In Hawaii...

Lavacamp day 3: Waikaloa & Mana Road

Today started with a seminar on open water swimming. Pacing, drafting, strategies, sighting... all that fun stuff. And of course a few little tricks and tips to avoid those pesky buoy collisions. You know me and swimming, I'm trying my very BEST to get better at it, even if that means tempo trainers, drills, and less snorkeling...

Look! I'm totally paying attention! That's me in the flower tank top "trying" to talk to Rick (my friend in yellow on the left of me- he was focusing!!). Brent in red (in front of me) was passing notes... we learned a lot! WATCH OUT for me swimming this season!!

Look! I'm focusing AGAIN! Notice the gang totally focused on coach and me (near the back in the white cap) looking for turtles...

Show time! Some pick ups and learning to break away from the start... Talk about a lagoon! We scared the tourists out as we nearly tipped over their kayaks with our splashing.

Me-white cap, Brent-blue cap... on any "normal swim day" I would be like 14 people behind him... see coach, I focused in class!! Today was the first day in a LONG time he said it looks like I'm holding water (I think Brent was dogging practice).

Here fishy, fishy, fishy... seriously, how can you swim when there is SO much to see in Hawaiian waters!?



After checking out the turtles, I mean swimming, we had a seminar on nutrition. I took notes on this one! After all the hard work I put in training last season, all my best efforts could not save me from my nutrition flip flops. Call it the 4th discipline of triathlon, call it fuel, call it whatever you like, if you don't have a plan in place getting from start to finish on race day will be a challenge. Here are the few key points, really basic, really rookie, but really good if you need a start point...

  • Pre race breaky: 300-600 calories 2-3 hours before race start
  • Drink an electrolyte drink in the morning, avoid plain water so you aren't flushing your electrolytes before the race begins
  • Stop drinking an hour prior to race start (this helps with those bath room moments and something to do with glycogen), sorry, didn't get the rest of the info, I just remember to stop all fluids and calories an hour prior to race start.
  • 10-15 minutes before start have a few calories (like a gel)
  • Depending on your size, what you practice in training, your effort, the heat/conditions you are racing aim for 300 or more calories an hour (this is VERY personable, try it!)
  • You need to replace 3 things EVERY HOUR: Water(hydration), calories, and electrolytes.
  • BARE minimum 500 grams of sodium an hour... a sweat test can help with this and practice in training. A few signs of serious sweat loss are white junk all over your skin and clothes post race, dizzy or feeling lightheaded, cramping, head aches. Some athletes go all the way to 2,000 mg an hour! Studies have shown severely dangerous cases of lack of sodium and very, very, very few of too much... (an idea, I am 1150mg an hour).
  • Post training/race get QUICK release carbs back into the body within 15-30 minutes after stopping (like some dates, a bagel, chocolate milk), an hour after (try not to be much longer) get in plenty of protein and carbs, the muscles will thank you and recover quicker.



Next up was a base run on Mana Road! I love it here, it really is country!! It's cold, has a nice touch of elevation, a good little trail, and you get to run next to the biggest cattle farm in the USA!! MOOMOO baby! Hawaii is amazing, we went from sea level, tropical island paradise, to a cold, country farm. It was so much like heaven in Hawaii, my two most favorite places...the beach & country!!

Take that coach! Zone 1 and the legs STILL feel like one of the cows sat on me! If anyone has legs I can borrow for the rest of the week I'd appreciate it, I'll even return them! You can use mine, but I must warn you... climbing stairs, riding a bike, and getting out of bed ALL hurt like a 10, on a scale of 1-10.




Some running company... 4 legs would have been nice today!

Brent on a mission...

My running partners for the day...


When all was said and done, it was another great training day with great company in a great place! Tomorrow we will ride up Kaloko AGAIN. I have already come up with a few good ideas to convince coach I should ride in the support car on the way down. If he doesn't go for it you can bet this girl will hitchhike. After seeing the max recorded speed on the bike clock from last week (64.8) there is just no way this chicken is facing that speed again!

The bike clock, sorry it's blurry! Even my camera was scared of that number!



And the drive home to Kona...thanks Coach Dan for taking a ton of fotos!! Chat laters... I got some baking to do for the team!!

.

21 comments:

ADC said...

Bree, the camp seems like so much fun. Was that 64 MILES per hour. Wow!!

Go Gammie said...

Wow Bree, I do not know how you had the energy to write in your blog today. Well, I guess your Zone 1 run is my Zone 4. And I still could not keep up. You are one speedster for sure!!! Lavacamp is opening my eyes to how fast you pros really are :)

Sherry said...

Gorgeous pictures... as usual. That Lagoon... OMG!

Loved the nutrition tips. I consume any and all nutrition tips like there's no tomorrow as I'm usually one of those people with all of the "white" all over me.

Enjoy the rest of camp! Looking forward to more pictures for me to drool over.

Missy said...

I DO need to check out some other nutritional sources this year. How soon the mind forgets about horrendous bloat from last year.

As always, best pictures around and I was always that girl in school too:)

JC said...

Bree, do you eat solid food for your pre race calories?

Eileen said...

Love reading your blog, thank you for sharing your training experiences. This breakdown of race nutrition is especially nice and simple. I am always trying to get this right! And I made those recovery cookies, super good, then I tried adding oat bran, dried unsweetened cranberries, and salt. Yum! Thanks so much for the inspiration!

IronBob (swimming upstream at IMAZ 08) said...

Great tips on nutrition, Thanks.
Love the photos. The run looked like fun and the scenery and good company probably made it go by quickly.

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

BEAUTIFUL pictures Bree - thanks for all the info! Looks like camp is going GREAT... and for the record, I bet my camera wouldn't want to focus on that number either... :)

BreeWee said...

Morning JC!! Sorry, can't post on you blog, it's blocked...so in case you check back here...
Pre race mean is always the same for me... Ezekial raison bread with almond butter and honey. It has about 300 calories, fast & slow release carbs, a bit of protein to help me for a day of racing, and it digests so easy for me. Then I have a banana 30 minutes later...

always solid foods pre race because I know I'll be eating gels and stuff all morning (or day long if an Ironman).

BEST to you for figuring out your pre race meal!!
Bree

Charisa said...

beautiful!!!!

IAN said...

I normally enjoy reading your blog. This was not the case with this particular post. My post Hawaii blues were just kicked into Zone 5 thanks to your writing and photos. Thanks, I appreciate it... seriously!

Runner Leana said...

Thanks for those nutrition tips Bree! It looks amazing out there. Camp sounds pretty intense!!

Wes said...

You can borrow my legs... but I seriously doubt you can reach zone 1 on them ;-)

Heidi Austin said...

i loved your amazing pics :) must be fabulous training in paradise! and gracias para el nutrition tips. i think that is something we all struggle with.

ps i think you the only other surfer chick I know that has been to mal pais in costa rica :)i saw ur fb pics~ hahah i miss surfing!!!1

allyson said...

Camp sounds like a blast. I can not believe you hit 64 mph, i have no idea what i would have done. Going over 30 scares me.

Samantha said...

Last year all the cows were crowded around the fence as we ran up the road so I decided to go off the road and run next to the fence and they all ran off and it sounded like a stampede. haha.

I must admit. I'm having a hard time reading your blog this week. I wish I was there but I'll come back for sure next year. I even caught myself really wishing I could ride koloko this week. that's scary. haha. and today I had a wonderful set of 8x1 mile at half pace all by myself :( ...lonely.

happy training!!!

Jen said...

You are sooo funny Bree! I love your stories. Great pics as usual chica!!

Trigirlpink said...

Love all the fotos! That lagoon looks really fun to swim in too.

Laura said...

Love coming over here to get my daily Hawaii fix. :) Thanks for all the great posts Bree!!

goSonja said...

Thanks so much for the nutrition tips. My training partner (who reads your blog too) and I were discussing what you said over weights today. It really got us thinking about the salt issue.

The pics are fantastic-o, and yes, my legs are all yours. In fact several days with them and you would be screaming for your own legs back!

Keep up the great work!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Sounds like a great camp! Lots of fun. Lots of work. Ditto re: the nutrition tips...very interesting info. Thanks for sharing!