Saturday, April 11, 2009

Passed Once, Lapped Once, AWESOME!

YOUCH, ouch, double ouch! But I asked for it...

Every year for the past 28 years the Big Island hosts The Mac-A-Thon 5k & 10k. It's one of the oldest races in Hawaii. The course is down South in Honaunau and it's known for it's hills. Hills and pancakes that is! As soon as you cross the finish line there are monster cakes waiting with macnuts, FRESHLY grown on the island macnuts!! There are hula dancers and live music, not to mention a beautiful bay filled with dancing dolphins.

This morning was my first time EVER running this event. Pretty much my schedule includes training, tune-up races, and my key races. It doesn't have a lot of space for "fun races". I love "fun races" though and beg coach to let me enter each and everyone of them! Today he agreed on some fun! The Mac-a-thon 5k!!

The run starts up a hill, that leads me to think I will be running down that hill into the finish line (and we do). Somehow I also thought once I get to the top of the hill it would be mello and I could just hold pace till I need to turn back and go down hill. SO I race pretty much as hard as I can up the hill only to get to the top and see a little down, another up, another down, and an up, it rolls...

Already this is the most fun 5k course I have ever done in my life (a lot like a mini roller coaster). Thanks to my incredible pre-race strategy I am in trouble. Lyman, Kai, and Eric are hot on my heels and knew about the rollers. Charging up the hill and hoping to let the down hill carry me home just kicked my you know what! Nearing the finish, Lyman passes me like a freight train, I'm just trying not to roll down the hill, and I can hear Eric about to clobber me alive... the pace clock is rolling... 17:56...57...58...59...18:00...01...02!!!...DARN IT ALL! Didn't even break 18! Held off Eric, passed once, and it hurt!

Uncle Honaunau himself! He sits on his car and watches all the runners cars while we race! Talk about incredible security proctection!!




It's ALL about the cakes!


The oldest finisher! 80 years old and still running strong!

1st Class finish line, totally Hawaiian style!

After the run it was full on speed racer! Time to drive back North to Kona, then further North to Waikoloa for the Easter Carnival. Let's just say Kainoa had way more fun putting his feet in the Koi ponds then searching for eggs... I'm pretty sure the 2 eggs he found his dad put in his basket.
This is Kainoa's weekend with his daddy so my Easter visit was short, too short for me, a hug and a kiss good bye and this momma was driving back down to Kona...

I met up with my hanai uncle (in Hawaii most everyone has a hanai family, it's like a second family, especially if you don't have one or yours lives FAR AWAY, like mine). Carlton looks out for my sister Brooke and I. So today uncle Carlton and I met for Easter lunch and he brought Easter goodies for Brooke, Kainoa, and I... totally a perfect lunch afternoon and I could not be more thankful for having famly here on the island, especially around holidays!

Home for 45 minutes... then into a SPLISH suit... time to swim! In a Masters Meet! This is where things got really ouch for me! The cool thing about no-more-solo swims is having incredible company, or getting your bum kicked (both happen for me).

After a mile warm up it was off the blocks for a 100IM. ha ha ha, hilarious! I'm just glad the goggles stayed on. Seriously, if there was no back stroke in IM I think I would kick-@$$. This is coming into the wall on the back stroke, on my back FLOATING for a few seconds till I reach it. I was snorkeling into the wall as you can notice my head underwater searching for something (like a wall). When your breast stroke is faster than your back stroke you know you have problems... but it was fun and that was the goal coach was after... to recharge some fun in my swim!
Let the REAL fun begin! The 500 free... This was just ridiculous. You'd think with massive arm muscles like mine I could pull myself through a 500 pretty quick... ha ha ha, yeah, not really. I had 2 goals for this race. Not go out too hard in the first 50 (that was coaches orders, not mine) and only get lapped once. If I got lapped more than once I was planning on getting out...not really but that would be funny...

I was up against Karlyn Pipes Neilsen. That's similar to having my mom race Michael Phelps...it's just not even a race. I was game though, bring it on woman! After a nice 50 I held the same exact spilt for each of the first 4x100's, talk about pacing!! The last 100 I won't comment on, I blame the legs, I blame all 500 yards of it on the legs just being so darn dead from the week, the past few weeks, and the 5k. Heck, swimming was fun though, and that was the plan!

AND I WON! Not really, Karlyn set another Masters world record... yeah, in that little race where she lapped me (I was lapped once) her 5:04 was good enough to break her old 45-50year old woman's masters record. That makes about 163 records the woman owns! Like I said, my mom swimming against Michael Phelps. If you want my time, just add another 50 yards to her time...

And here we are all smiles... her happy to have another record, me happy to be pau! Well, not fully pau, I still had to do a pull set, thankfully with the company of Coach Eric (Karlyn's hubby).

And here is Coach Eric now, measuring the distance of the 25yard pool. Kinda weird, the thing is after every masters meet you have to actually measure the lanes! Kona pool is "officially" 25 yards, in case you're wondering...

Tomorrow is a 6hr Easter egg hunt for me. Since Kainoa is at his dads for the holiday I need something fun to do...actually coach needs me to do a 6hr brick...I think calling it a 6hr egg hunt sounds more like an adventure!

Happy Easter everyone!!!

.

15 comments:

Mama Simmons said...

LOVE the 5K finish line! That's so classic.

ShirleyPerly said...

So much fun to see you at the swim meet today!! Great job on that 500 freestyle. I have a photo of you & Karlyn on the blocks that I will send you in case the person who had your camera didn't get that. You sorta look like you're praying, haha.

Happy Easter to you and lil K!

Oscarjet said...

Hola ! buena carrera y lo mejor las galletas !!este tipo de carreras sin presion ni stress son muy buenas .Y muy buen entreno de natacion ! que bien lo pasais ! me alegro!
En mi pais no para de llover y hace mucho frio...todos tenemos ganas que pase este duro invierno y salga definitivamente el sol !!
Nos vemos ! :D

Marni said...

i love reading your stories!!! have a great easter!

Sherry said...

Are you sure that's not ME doing the backstroke there??? LOL! My favorite part of that stroke is all of the 'backwards underwater looking' for the wall that I do! LOL!!!

Very cool about your hanai family. :o)

Happy Easter, Bree!!!

IronBob (swimming upstream at IMAZ 08) said...

I think you have the makings of a great book writer in the future. Great stories (and I thought you wanted to read mine!).
Happy Easter.. I'll be riding 4 hours around 3pm Eastern, so I'll think about your having similar fun around the same time.

Pedergraham said...

Happy Easter, Bree. Enjoy your 6 hour "egg hunt". I swam the 100 IM on Friday night---am so glad that is a Masters event---short and sweet and NOT the 400 IM. BTW, our finish lines in Vermont look a lot like that. Until last year, there was one dirt road 5k that cost $2 and the food afterwards was hotdogs and stream-cooled Pabst Blue Ribbon, with pottery for prizes.

allyson said...

Backstroke is the worst, but my breast and fly arent much better. Gotta love all the water up the nose. Have a Happy Easter

Brent Poulsen said...

yo yo yo! looks like you had an awesome week of training. Recover well!
Brent

Go Gammie said...

Happy Easter Bree!! Wow after your 5k race and a long drive I thought your day was over. Then you got to go swim against Karlyn!! You are always up for a challenge, I guess that is why you are able to perform at such a high level. Way to go. Have a fun day looking for those eggs!!

ADC said...

Your weekend seems like so much fun. Good 5km race.

Bruce Stewart (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Congratulations to Karlyn on her 500 free SCY world record (she is my swim coach, too!). And you did really well, considering. Great posting. You are really a full-time professional athlete now.

CoachLiz said...

Oh my gosh, in that photo of you and the guys eating the cakes is funny. I kinda doubt that pancakes is a regular event in anyone's diet in that photo.

Those photos at the pool are great. It looks like some rain clouds were building up back behind you.

Eileen Swanson said...

Good work in both races, I LOVE swim meets ;-) Kainoa is getting so big!

Pedergraham said...

P.S. I meant to write that Karlyn is coming to Vermont to do a freestyle clinic. I wish I could go, but it is the same day as Lelia's birthday party. Tell her to buy some long underwear--it is still not spring here yet!