Wednesday, May 13, 2009

All For Papayas!

Equipped with my bike, swim stuff, run stuff, and a lunch box, it was time for a hilly ride, a swim at Hapuna Beach, an easy run, then a bit of recovery, followed up with masters swim...

I love these days, they prepare me for long Ironman moments. I need them too. A lack of long distance race experience and not having several years of training have revealed to me time and time again that days like this belong in the bank, added up they will result in a good race, lots of good races, given patience and time...

45 minute drive North to Hapuna Beach, it was a BEAUTIFUL morning! My ride went really, really, really good till the last mile or so. Up and over some hills, into some wind, blown into the road by some wind, it was all fun and games and I was loving every minute of it. With 5 minutes to go before meeting a couple friends for a swim of the Hawaii 70.3 loop I decided to play on the rollers. There is a really fun little trail from Puako to Hapuna (the old Peaman International Biathlon run). As soon as I hit the trail my bike locks up, no forward movement and I hold on for dear life trying not to launch over my bars. Not sure what happened and unable to fix it (I tried and ended up a greasy mess), me and Antonio are walking the mile to the beach...


A few fishermen wondered why I wasn't riding. Wish I knew... just happy to have made all the ride but a mile of it...(foto courtesy of a local fisherman, glad I could humor him).

Post fight with Antonio, he won...







I took this foto for you Nick, this is how to play in the shore break without busting your arm...


To Hapuna. The water is as blue as blue can be, as calm as can be, and as warm as can be. Perfect conditions. The boys tease me about my the fight with my bike and how I clearly lost. Fun and games are over... into the sea...

We swim the Hawaii 70.3 loop, no bikes hidden in the coral, no fish, not a single distraction, however, lovely and beautiful. Days like this make me so thankful for where I live and what I do.

After the swim Randy and I set out on a recovery run. We ran the rollers from Hapuna to Puako. No shade, no Hawaiian sea breeze, no cloud cover, it was probably the most ideal conditions if your focus is HOT and you enjoy eating salt, lots of it.

Today was a really good day for me. Since focusing my attention on "getting good" I have made it a mission to train smart and in the company of others better than me in hopes of gaining some experience and confidence. For sure I have kept the balance to reward hard efforts with beautiful sunset swims, sandy days at the beach with Kainoa, and cliff jumping with friends. But rarely do I train with my friends who's mission is just to finish or to "maybe" one day get an Ironman slot in their age group. In no way do I think I am better or above those friends, it's just that sometimes our missions for training greatly differ.

Today I was able to train with my mello friends (except for the ride), and they were able to remind me of so many of the things I love about sport. They had me talking story in the parking lot rather than rushing through a parking lot transition, they had me laughing about how the Hawi winds scare them, about taking a minute off last seasons time, or how last year they swam Hawaii 70.3 slow because it would be their longest ever swim. The little things, the things you think about when you first start sport, or how sport is life changing were all things we rambled about. It brought back such sweet memories of just loving sport for what it is and not what it gets made out to be, feeling challenged trying to explain it but it makes sense to me & I'm so grateful for the people in my life who remind me of my first taste of triathlon and the boys today who help me keep it real...

After the run it was time to drive South to Kona to get my bike fixed (long ride tomorrow and I need it). J-Dog told me to smile, he would have it good as new in a minute or 2, and he did. Bike mechanics amaze me. I blame the SRM sensor for lodging itself between my crank and frame and busting up my chain...

It's almost time for masters, I LOVE SWIMMING! Tomorrow is a long ride/short run brick, anyone game??? I'll bring the papayas!

.

28 comments:

Amber Dawn said...

Wow you are really becoming a photojournalist! Awesome pics.

Adrienne said...

Can I move to Hawaii and train with you? Seriously too freaking funny!

Go Gammie said...

Oh man I wish I could get there to train a day and eat some Papayas!!! They are the best there!!! Glad your bike problem was easy to fix Bree, after your bath at Hapuna Beach!! You are going to do awesome at the 70.3. Enjoy your long ride, I am sure you and Antonio have "made up" :)

Bruce Stewart (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Wish I could show up to train with you. All I seem to do these days apart from my swims is work. What recession? Well, I not aware of one.

D said...

I've had some pretty epic fights with my bike that ended in greasy messes. Once, I went out on a date and the guy kept looking at me funny. I finally asked what was up and he said I had black stuff on my face. He thought it was make-up (like I had rubbed my mascara off or something) so he didn't want to say anything. When he found out it was bike grease... well I'm not with him now.

Maggs said...

I'm not sure how you can make those rollers from Hapuna to Puako a 'recovery run' We ran them four times in three days two weeks ago when we were there.

t-odd said...

Really people - I need more than six hours notice for a training session. Jeeze, I swear we will never get a chance to train together at this rate. (Well, that and the fact that you live in HI and I'm in MN - details.) Chicks with bike grease = hot! Glad Antontio is better - it would have been a shame for you to have to be apart for a couple of days.

Missy said...

Sometimes, goals ARE different. I hate to ditch people and friends for various workouts but unless the goals are similar (and pace), you gotta do it. At this point, it's your job, you love it but it's what you DO...as well as part of who you are.

Marni said...

Great pics! Love hearing about your training days!

I hope brooke and her hubby get well soon!
I'd LOVE a papaya!! Save one for me! :)
-marn

Meredith said...

I don't know how you always have paparazzi with you, but I love all the pictures you get. You are so lucky!

Bob Mitera said...

Chicago City Council may repeal the law making it illegal to surf here. Since we have waves of 2 to 4 feet most of the time and 6 to 8 feet some of the time...cool.

Glad you didn't biff to badly.

Cheers.

Mel said...

Lucky greasy girl:)...love the photo's....keep work it girlfriend!! miss ya!!

Charisa said...

Glad Antonio is well again! :)

Shan said...

OMG when can I move to Hawaii?!?!?! Seriously.

BTW, I drooled for an hour when I saw your caramel/chocolate brownie thing....YUM!!

KEEP rockin' chica!! :-D

IAN said...

I REALLY miss the papayas. Yogurt and granola in a fresh papaya.... Man OOOOOHHH man! I NEED to get back pronto!!

rr said...

Aaagh you're making me want to do Honu! And I don't want to do Honu. Really, I do not not not want to. But Hapuna.. so pretty! And I love that little road from Puako, that's how I get to the race start each year, sneaking in from that side..

CoachLiz said...

Wow, I have never had my chain get all jacked up with the SRM. I will keep an eye on that. I was laughing hard seeing your greasy arms and face.

Mmmm, Papayas and some coconut water. I should have signed up to do the Hono half.

IronBob said...

And no Nick to help with the bike. What good are bro in laws?

Seriously, Missy's got it straight, quit fooling around with us amateurs. We can catch up with you at the bar when we are drinking beer and you, protein shakes to talk TRI.

miles99999 said...

You look like such a bad ass in your swimming gear with the grease all over your face. Like you just got done working on a 57 Chevy and decided it was time to go for a quick 5 mile swim.

Teresa said...

I love fighting with my bike....like any relationship, it makes us stronger! For some reason the bike keeps getting smarter and throwing curve balls. hmm...maybe we should brainstorm;) or continue leaving all the work to the mechanics.
tn

Glen said...

Great article on Ironman live. Keep up the hard work

Jill Costantino said...

Great pics! Such a beautiful place were you live. So gald to hear you had such a wonderful training day!

allyson said...

Awesome pictures. The water is absolutely beautiful, I dont know how you would get into a pool after that! Great Training day

Wes said...

I have very little over all race experience, this being my second year, really. I too am learning to train smart :-) Patience is something you get from Hammer right? LOL...

You are such a great athlete Bree. Show us how to keep the fun in the game...

beth said...

huge day and a great mindset! i am just catching up...LOVE the last post about you being bake mamma for the injury twins...hope they're feeling lots better!

Oscarjet said...

Holaaaa! Bree !!! no tengo tiempo de escribir esta semana de mucho trabajo en la UCI World Cup DHI and 4x en Andorra.
Tengo nervios para 1/2 IM !!!! grrrr...
Me haria mucha ilusion una camiseta para mi bb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:DDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Muy bonitas y increibles las fotos , me encantan! un abrazo enorme !!!! besos!cuidate !

Marni said...

Still can't get over those pics!
Love the article about you on Ironman.com!!! You rock!!
-marn :)

Sherry said...

Gorgeous photos... love the grease!

I smiled while reading the part about how we newbies talk... so true. Every day is a new adventure in this sport; a time where progress is made by leaps and bounds and the sky seems like it's the limit. A good reminder to cherish these times... and hope that they find a permanent home as the years pass by.