Saturday, May 23, 2009

FBI...From Big Island...

Delta surviving another day in the hospital...

I've been wanting to write about FBI (From Big Island) for a little while now, but I was at a loss for words, partly because I didn't really know the whole story. AND I still don't. I just know it a little better today. I talked to Loki (Big Island's hot surfer/triathlete/super model chick), because I need a hat from her, an FBI one to wear at Honu....

I know I am supposed to wear my Lifesport visor, but Honu is close to home (my back yard) and Delta (the founder of FBI) is close to home, a Big Island local boy, and I feel the need to support him...

Delta is one of those ALOOOOOOOHAAAAA kind of guys, the kind that just loves on everyone, gives to everyone, shares with everyone, talks to everyone, is kind to everyone. The Kona community is his whole life. Paddling, surfing, running, a local life guard, giving back to the keiki of Hawaii, and any other way to keep our little town little and the vibe friendly is always his mission. If you run down Ali'i and hear a hoooooot or holler it might be him, stoked that you are doing good to your body. Being so stoked on the Big Island he created FBI clothing a few years ago. Really fun stuff to let all us locals have a brand that sets us apart. He tried to do good to his body too, in fact he might be one of few people that can handle more smooooooothies than me.

January 28, 2009 Delta was diagnosed with lung cancer. It runs in his family and took the life of his father and brother. Since late January he has been undergoing chemo and recently he was put in a wheel chair. Today I called him, he sounded so good, I suppose somethings just can't knock a really good person down. He is fighting daily for his life and all that he believes in totally hit home to me this week.

Even though I am fine, having a cancer scare wakes you up just a bit. I mean, I already thought I was living life to the fullest! ALMOST everything on my "To do before I die" list has been checked off. He might not be so lucky and it's a darn shame because he is so awesome! Anyways, all week I dedicated to him. I surfed a couple sessions because I love the ocean and because I get to (he can't), I ran my hardest, biked as good as I could, swam my tail off, and made sure to hang out with friends, because I get too...

This week I also had a small, too short, chat with my local buddy Brown Bear, you all have heard about him. His wife Sunny recently lost her battle to breast cancer. And today I got to hang out briefly with my friend Michelle. She is fighting for her life too. Man that girl can ride! When I first got into biking she scared me! Cancer is keeping her off her bike these days. Today she had hair though and looked as beautiful as ever! Today hurt a lot, talking to 2 friends dying, another great friend who lost the love of his life and is dealing with it every waking moment, and then I just get to skip right on over it all with a warning... I felt so bad...

I never dedicated a race to anyone. So in a week from today, I will not race for me. I am going to race for Delta, Michelle, and Brown Bear. 3 of the greatest locals on the Big Island! I'm pretty excited about it too. Just to recognize something bigger. It already takes away my pre-race fear of Belinda Granger, (believe me on this one, I've seen her around town this week training and she is pretty scary).

Kainoa's first outfit! He wore this home from the hospital a couple years ago...


Playing bike mechanic in my FBI...






Happy Holiday Weekend! Go find a BIG adventure!
AND be sure to LOVE on the people in your life...

.

30 comments:

damontucker said...

If you get a chance... please let Delta know that the "FBI Blogs" is a direct play off of his hard work on the islands.

I wasn't about to steal his logo for the FBI site.

After much research... I found the phrase FBI was used in many parts of the world to distinguish "From Big... anything with an "I".

I'm inspired by Deltas story

Damon Tucker

damontucker said...

Forgot to mention... I will be leaving this post on the FBI Blogs for at least 24 hours!

Great post and thanks for finding the inspiration to the name for my blog.

Bruce Stewart (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

It is reading stuff like this that makes me want to live on the Big Island. That was why I was there, to hang out and train and meet wonderful people like you, Brown Bear and the rest of them.
I read the Ironman article about you today and realize that you are fast becoming triathlon's ambassador-at-large.
I hope you have a great race at Honu and that you and Belinda and the others in contention bring a lot of fun and excitment for everybody.

Beth said...

I'll be thinking of your friends and praying for them Bree. Cancer is such a devastating disease and is just so unforgiving even to people who take care of themselves and do all the right things. Sounds like your friends are fighthing hard though!! That will make it easier for you to fight hard in your race next weekend!

Missy said...

OH, I hate it! The wrath of cancer is just evil. I can't pretend to know the answer or what to say. It just sucks, straight up. Be there for your friends, that's all you can do!

Chloe said...

I agree wiht Missy! Just being there - and enjoying your friends is all that you can do. Cancer scares the socks off of me. But that is awesome about dedicating your race - you'll rock it out for sure :)

Dave said...

Hi Bree,

How much are the hats? I would love to get one and where it in training and at IM CDA in support of your friend. Cancer has affected my family negatively and I would love to show my support for those going through it.

God Bless,

Dave

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

My thoughts and prayers to you and your friends Bree. You are right: live every day to the fullest and love the people in our lives. Thanks for the important message and beautiful pictures...

IronBob said...

I think you would put a big smile on all their faces with a little Aussie butt kicking. Go girl!!

Oscarjet said...

Hey, Bree !

Soy FINISHER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hoy estoy muy cansado hare mi race report mañana.

Estoy muy contento !

He puesto en accion todos tus consejos !

Un abrazo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

beth said...

bree, that's really awesome. i love that you are dedicating your race to them....

i'll be on the FBI lookout in just a few days! we'll be there thursday afternoon! wahoo! i'll be with the skinny chicken with holes in his ears. xoxo, b!

Running~Jordan said...

We're all dying. Every day on this earth is thanks to livin'.

<3

Monica Kvas said...

Such sad situations...But your friends sound so positive so that's such an advantage! What a reminder to be grateful for life... I love Delta's tattoo's!!! What a good looking dude!

Charisa said...

My thoughts and prayers are with your friends too. The times I have raced for someone other than myself have been really precious and I would not trade them for anything. You realize how much you have and that is awesome Bree. Enjoy your race - I know you will!!

Kiet said...

Thanks for sharing Bree. Cancer sucks...unfortunately, I know this all too well. Before every race, I always say a prayer for my mom (and sometimes others) and dedicate the race to her. Let's keep supporting each other. Race hard next weekend, I have a lot of teammates racing too. They'll be wearing the PacWest racing kits so say hi to them.

MJ said...

The big C really sucks.

In addition to the friends you mention it took my mom... and I bet almost everyone has someone that cancer took too early - so we are all together on this one.

Good luck racing at home!

Melissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa said...

Hi Bree. I'll be thinking of you as you race! And keeping Delta in my thoughts and prayers. Cancer sucks...just ran into an old running buddie the other day and learned he has leukemia....one day you wake up and BAM, your idea of 'living to the fullest' has a whole different definition, right?

Good luck with the race too!

Mel said...

Bree your heart is huge and for Delta and the others I will keep in my prayers and my heart goes out to them...stay strong as I can see in the photo he looks as a fighter xoxo
Have fun with the race as I am sure your mind/heart will be on them:)
Where can a Ohio girl buy the FBI shirt that you are sporting...I luv it and even more now that it means something!!!

Cricket said...

Wow- that is sooo sad- he is in my prayers. What an awesome guy! Have a blast racing for the others, I bet it will be your best race yet...
Love you and thankful for all my freinds and family! Life is precious.

WADDLER26.2 said...

Awesome photos...

Good luck and prayers in the cancer fight.

The Lazy Triathlete said...

After a few days on the Big Island, I too would love to live there. The people are great.

I lost my mother to lung cancer this year--Keep up the fight.

ADC said...

Your friends are in my thoughts. You will have a great race Bree and it will be that much more special.

Jacqui said...

Hey Bree
Just read up on whats been going on with you...glad to see you are ok after the skin cancer scare. Very cool that you are racing on behalf of your buddies...I am so proud of you. Your blog is amazing and your enthusiasm for life ..very inspiring! Keep up the great racing!

ShirleyPerly said...

Oh, I LOVE those FBI shirts! Man, cancer really sucks, though (I lost my dad to it). Race strong at Honu for all those who can't. Thanks for helping keep my Kona dream alive with all those awesome local pictures and stories.

Bob Almighty said...

I'll echo everyone above in that cancer is a terrible illness. Live life to the fullest and kick some ass for your homies next weekend!

Ange said...

Bree...what you're doing is perfect. It really means a lot to people. Cancer has stolen a few people from my life as well...it's so so mean and just plain scary. I'm so relieved You are ok. Warnings may seem unfair...but it's God's way of shaking us up enough to remember what is really important in life. have a great race.

jessica rae kirkwood said...

what a beautiful post bree.

And yes, i went a little late to the swim -- and god knows i am SO out of shape. like literally. seriously. that i couldn't swim out as far as you guys -- only went 1km out! but it was soooooo much fun!

you should get in contact with mitch thrower with some of your stories, i'm sure he'd love them :)

I'll let you know next time i'm in town.

Jess

BreeWee said...

Dave, I tried to email you back but you show up as (private), so the hats are about 20-$22. They are sold at most all Big Island surf shops... the clothes vary in prices, let me know if you need help finding one, I can help!!

Bree

Sherry Lynn said...

What an amazing awesome and inspiring post. Bree... you are such "good people." I don't even know you personally, but I have a feeling that all of the wonderful, selfless things that you do for others... well, they would do them for you as well. Now, go get 'em at HONU... for all the many reasons!