Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day Mom!

I grew up with the absolute greatest mother in the world. Top notch, grade A, simply perfect. A mix of Joan Clever who can keep a home tidy, cook and bake anything, and fix any wound in the world. She was also as hip as they come... teaching us how to crimp roll our hair, dance to some 80's tunes as if we were rock stars, and how to match our hair ribbons to our leg warmers! She was also a single mother of 3 very young girls all under 4 years old. Her determination to transform every obstacle into an opportunity and to laugh and smile in the face of adversity was something she taught us at a young age. She was unreal. The harder life got for her and the more her world would come tumbling down the stronger, braver, and more positive she became. My sisters and I were her whole world. Every dream she had was put on hold for us...

Needless to say when I became pregnant I also became a total mess. I was not my mom. Growing up with this incredible woman as a role model I felt that I needed to be like her to be successful as a mom. I had only 1 day of babysitting experience under my belt and Kainoa came with no instructional manual, unless the doctors forgot to deliver that and it's still in my belly...

Kainoa and I are celebrating our 3rd Mother's Day (I counted the Mother's Day when he was in my belly because I was already doing mom things for him, like keeping him warm in there and taking him to swim practice with me everyday-not that he had a choice in that one). Anyways, motherhood still presents me with many challenges. I still forget his shoes every now and then, I change the names of all the characters in his books, and most days he gets carob chip cookies rather than chocolate chip kind. The only thing that has come easy for me is loving him. Despite the fact not being so good with diapers I was always really good at loving him like nothing I have ever loved.

My home is way more messy than my moms, I don't put band aids on Kainoa like my mom did to me, when he wants to wear his Bob Marley shirt 2 days in a row I let him wear it 3 days, and when it's nap time we usually end up at the beach looking for sea urchins. I've grown to learn I am not going to be the same incredible mom I had growing up but I am loving my son the way she loved us and I think it's working out just fine...

To my mom, my biggest fan, Happy Mother's Day! To Kainoa, thank you for being my son! Life is so amazing with you in my world and I wouldn't put you back in the belly even if it were an option!

Some of our favorite memories...










Happy Mother's Day to all the HOT MOMMAS out there, YOU ARE DOING A GREAT JOB!

.

32 comments:

Maijaleena said...

You are an inspiration as a mother! I don't know what it is like yet, but probably the hardest but most rewarding job out there!

Jenna said...

Happy Mother's Day :) If there is one thing in the world I know for sure, God gave me my children because they had something to teach me and I had the heart that would love them for everything they are and all that they dream to be. Everyday they teach me something and I am certain I am a better person because they make me one!!

And it is, truly a hard job but it is also the most rewarding. You are an inspiration Bree and your little one is going to look back on photos of you and him and understand you took the time to invest in him in a way that has made him who he is and who he will become!! One day, he will write his own blog and share with the world that he has the best mom in the world because she always let him skip his naps and search for sea critters ... it is as it should be!! :)

Go Gammie said...

Happy Mothers Day Bree,,, there is still a few hours left with the time zone difference!!!
I imagine you were at the beach looking for sea urchins, or at Jamba Juice with Kainoa :)
Looks like your quiz was a hit!! That was a great idea, so nice that some sponsors got involved. Have a great week!!!

Bruce Stewart (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Wow! What a fantastic post. I kinda wanted to sent you some roses on FB but decided just to send them to my wife in case she misunderstands the US culture where people send them to a lot of people.
Yesterday the four of us biked a total of 25 kms as we went from our home to a seaside restaurant and back. I did not realize that Jocelyn could probably have entered a bike race in Kona and finished. Well, I realized how great mothers are once again.

Tiffany said...

You're so cute, and so is Kainoa. Let me know when good time to visit is.
-Tiffany

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

LOVE the photos! What a lovely post Bree...very sweet.

Beth said...

Happy Mother's Day Bree!!! You are an amazing mom and Kainoa is one lucky little boy. :)

chr15 said...

Beautiful post Bree. Awesome Mum, Awesome Triathlete! Period!

Missy said...

Little buddy! Let kids be kids, who cares if he wears the same t-shirt three days? In the big scheme, what does it matter, what does it hurt? Nothin!

Happy Mother's Day!

Shazza said...

This is such a wonderful post! I'm more like you as a mum - the house is generally chaotic, my daughter wears odd socks if that's what she wants to do, and last night she had bread with nutella for dinner. I had this fantasy that when I became a mum, I would instantaneously be able to cook, sew, knit and keep my house clean. Five years on, none of these things have happened - except I have learned to bake her a birthday cake and sew up teddy's arm when he gets a hole.

I hope I give her a different kind of positive role model as a women who loves her body and is passionate about fitness.

My belief is that a "good" mother is simply one who loves their child utterly and unconditionally. Everything else follows on from there.

Mel said...

JUST BEAUTIFUL Bree.....LOVE really is the most important thing a child needs!!! You are an amazing Mom and the photo's and your words speak for itself:)

Miss ya and keep on being your awesome self.....

t-odd said...

Regardless of your son's fashion choices, I would still say you are a pretty fantastic mom. Not many kids out there get to live in a beautiful place with a mom who is a pro athlete and still finds time to rescue him from school once in awhile. Keep up the good work!

Kelly said...

Bree, I love reading your blog, but today is my first comment! Thank you for inspiring all of the trimommies out there!

Here is my favorite quote about motherhood: "There is no way to be a perfect mother, but a million ways to be a good one." Jill Churchill

You are doing a great job!

TriSaraTops said...

I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day! I am learning as I go, too...but it's pretty much the best thing ever, isn't it? Hope you and Kainoa had fun!

Kona Shelley said...

Hope your day was wonderful!

sallyaston said...

Happy Mothers Day weekend Bree! You are an inspiration to all us mommies out here trying to train, race and enjoy our families! :-) You deserve a great day!

Ange said...

Love is all it takes.. and it is clear you have that for your little boy. YOu are an amazing Mom just like yours is.Beautiful tribute to her ...I hope you show her those words. EVery Mom's dream to have her kids admire them the way you do.

TICA MACHA said...

How beautiful!! Happy Mother's Day and thinking of you over here in never never land. Teri

Jenna said...

Bree...look at this movie about you :)
http://news.cnnbcvideo.com/?nid=b3VHBYieCeliyH_8mEz0BDU0NTk4NDI-&referred_by=16700034-fcOmaLx

Natalie said...

Leave the Cleavers in the past! I truly believe that being the best mom you can be is being the mom your child needs. That also includes being true to your own spirit. You would not be a happy mommy if you forced yourself to be the Cleaver type. I certainly wouldn't be happy that way either. Who cares if the house is a bit messy! Throw away the stereotype and realize that a perfect mom is the type that knows what their kid needs in a mom...I think you have that one down pat!

Cricket said...

One of my favorite posts! You are growing each day into a more amazing woman! The best mom is a "real" authentic mom. You are that!
Love you!

allyson said...

Hope you had a great mothers day, I am sure the 3 years flew by

triitagain said...

Blinking back tears! There is a special bond between mothers and sons. I wouldn't trade my boy for anything. Happy Mother's Day

Stacy

Mama Simmons said...

I love this post, Bree! Kainoa is a luckly boy to have you as a mom. :)

Sherry said...

Hope that you had an amazing Mother's Day, Bree! Kainoa is a lucky little guy to have such a super mom! :o)

Ramon Serrano said...

Nice pics Ironmom! Happy Mother's day!

IronBob said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kim said...

You are an amazing mom with a big heart full of love and I know he is growing up with that every day! Cheers to you and all the Mothers!

IronBob said...

Anita's (my wife) Mom had 3 girls by the time she was 21 (OUCH) and divorced by 23 (OUCH OUCH)so she had an interesting childhood.

Sounds to me like you are giving Kainoa some independence from which you always learn some great life lessons. He should grow up to be more adventuresome than Mom (WOW!!)

Hope Mothers Day was special for you.

Cheers

Cricket said...

I just had to look at your pregnant picture again! It is soooo cute.
Love you-
Aunt Cricket

Jennifer Harrison said...

Sometimes at night I put my head down on the pillow and my head spins with thoughts of the day and ALL about the kids....Was I there for them today? Did I ignore them too much? Did I tell them I love them? And, most times the answer is yes and that is what matters the most. Happy belated mother's day! YEAHHHH :)

Oscarjet said...

Congrats !!! nice pics ! :DDD