Sunday, May 17, 2009

May 17th...

Kinda boring being banned from the ocean/beach for the weekend, to keep from going stir crazy I did lots of 17ish things on May 17th...


I blended a wheat grass smoothie for 17 seconds...

Ran 17 miles along the Kona Coast and accidentally got the stitches sweaty...

I "attempted" to eat 17 papayas, they have a lot of cancer fighting goodness and help with inflammation (great idea post long run).

Read 17 pages and FINALLY finished one of the coolest books ever written! It's the only chick to win 7 World Titles surfing, it took her 8 years to win her first one. The story is all about her ups and downs on becoming successful in her sport, a GREAT read even if you don't enjoy surfing... lots of motivation on becoming a champion. Layne even wrote a message to me in this copy!

Wrote 17 paragraphs in my book!!

Made 17 batches of weezle balls for friends.

Sat in my sisters tub, with ice, for 17 minutes post run

Ate 17 grams of protein on my fish & spinach salad (after stealing 17 stalks of asparagus from Brooke)...

Bought 17 mountain apples from the farmers market- BUY LOCAL!

(check this out, the orange is RED!!) It has nothing to do with 17, but I thought it was so cool the farmers market has red oranges (called blood oranges).

Day dreamed for 17 minutes about being at my favorite beach
(wearing sunscreen of course)


I did some research and discovered 17 of the GREATEST cancer fighting foods:

Tomatoes, broccoli, berries, soybeans/soy nuts & tofu, tea, pumpkin, spinach, ginger, apple, garlic, pineapple, cauliflower, cabbage, brussels sprouts, red & yellow peppers, squash, and carrots.

That's all I got... think I'll go bug Brooke and Nick for 17 minutes, or till they kick me out.

.

25 comments:

Adrienne said...

What are weezie balls?

Amber Dawn said...

and what are mountain apples? They look yummy!

MJ said...

I bet that list of foods would be the best for fighting just about any disease...

Also, that photo of the mountain apples is beautiful...

Cheers,

Natalie said...

What do those mountain apples taste like? They look very mouthwatering! Please tell me that they aren't as good as they look and you're just a very good photographer. All your talk of fruit makes me want to live somewhere tropical...our fruit in the midwest is very boring!

damontucker.com said...

Your legs are making for some great "eye candy" on the FBI Blogs.

Or should I say... "leg candy"?

Hope your feeling better soon.

Maggs said...

So if you ate 17 papayas (or even 7 papayas) how many times did you have to go to the bathroom. Don't they have laxative properties as well?

And I love mountain apples. I might go hiking this week and pick some.

ADC said...

There are such things as mountain apples??

Bruce Stewart (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

I'll certainly pay attention to the foods you listed. We have as much sunshine here as in Kona, only that I'm not quite as close to the ocean.

Sherry Lynn said...

I'm officially starving now! Smooties, mountain apples, blood oranges, Weezie balls! Yummers!

Hope you are healing up well! :o)

Beth said...

Hey Bree!! Keeping my fingers crossed that you'll hear great news tomorrow about your skin spot. You are in my prayers! In the mean time - looks like you've found ways to keep yourself out of the sun. :) All that fresh food looks delicious!

CoachLiz said...

Those Mountain Apples look cool! How were the bowels after eating 17 papayas? Don't forget blueberries on your list of cancer fighting foods.

IronBob said...

You keep up these inspirational food posts and I am going to have to change my eating habits. Last night was Tombstone pizza and wine. Maybe that is why I bonked at 67 miles yesterday?

Cheers

Jamie said...

I've had blood oranges, but have never heard of mountain apples before. I wonder if there is some place in Boston that has them. I must investigate.


You may not be very worried, but I'm worried for you! I'm sending good vibes your way in hopes that you get some good news from the Doctor tomorrow.

Slow Rider said...

For that great healthy food post, I will do 17X100m as my main set today.
I know you will get good results, Be positive

Marni said...

I love this post! The foods look so yummy! And yes...there are health benefits to all those "healthy" foods out there! What a great post and I must get some of those apples!!
Sorry to post late about your cancer scare. That was a good post for all of us FLoridians!
-marn

t-odd said...

The smoothie - I think it needed more than 17 seconds. Were those sweaty stitches "stingey?" 17 papayas followed by 17 tubes of Preparation-H. Holy Laxative. Are "weezle balls" anything like "Schweddy Balls?" ("Mmmm, balls.""My mouth is just watering thinking about your balls.") No one can resist Schweddy Balls (or Weezle Balls.) (ha ha "balls" are funny.)

Anyone who hasn't figured it out yet I have the maturity of a 12 year old.

t-odd said...

I just talked to a buddy about "Schweddy Balls" and he had no idea what I was talking about. So here is the link: http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/clips/nprs-delicious-dish-schweddy-balls/999481/

Cricket said...

Okay I want some Weezie Balls- and that picture of you in the hat looks just like Brooke. Is it? Alos yuor mom filled me in on the cancer thing...you're in my prayers, but i already know it's okay!:=) Love you -

Teresa said...

I smiled 17 times just reading this post :)
tn

rebecca w said...

Don't forget about Noni leaves to use as a poultice for healing!

Charisa said...

Sounds like a rockin day!!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Love this post Bree! You bring creativity to a whole new level. I'm with the others...what are mountain apples and wheezy balls?

allyson said...

The fruit looks so yummy. Best of luck with the drs.

Steve Stenzel said...

Nice job on the 17th!!

Umm, I hate to say it, but some of those papayas look a little yonic. Just sayin'

Have a great week!!

L1z4 said...

I read a book called "Anti-cancer Lifestyle" or somesuch, it was written by a doctor who had brain cancer, got rid of it, and relapsed 15 years later, but he's still alive I think. The executive summary is:
1. the top 3 anti-cancer food that covers all cancers is scallions, garlic, and leeks.
2. exercise.
3. stress management. he recommends mediation.

Other potent cancer fighting foods is over 70% cocoa dark chocolate, green tea, and red wine. Hope this helps! I think you've got a very healthy lifestyle in place already, so you're going to be just fine! :-)