Monday, June 22, 2009

0 to 214...

Last year's Keiki biathlon with my favorite training partner...

My first week back into training finished with 214 miles on the body. That's a lot compared to 0. It felt very much like the first week back after "off season". Yes, I'm an off-seasoner, I believe in some rest/recovery/rejuvenation after a big season. I've just never taken one mid-season...

The week was challenging trying to get the body to go, to feel water, to not get discouraged by the "fluff" that grew on my week off. Honestly, I got a little grumpy with myself. It felt horrible starting all over again smack in the middle of the season. The boys in masters didn't let me take free rides either. Neither did the boys on the group ride. It was all "hang in there", "pick it up", "move it", and some jokes about my jiggle.

Oh there were some good ones too... Like the treadmill run I did with Kaitlen and she knocked a boy off the tready next to her so I could have it, my favorite Splish suit ripping while trying to pull it over my booty, then a manta ray getting tangled in the 3/4 buoy that ended up attracting a tiger foot closing down the pier swims till they lured the shark out to sea.

What kept me plugging along was a future training camp. I was training for a training camp-sheeeesh! Next month will start with the Vancouver Half Ironman (that doesn't fear me in the least, I've already endured enough painful races to last me a season). It's what happens the moment I cross the line...

Linsey Corbin and Magali Tisseyre are going to kick my @$$. They are ready to smash me, they just smashed all the women in Boise 70.3 taking first and second! So all week long I focused on getting into some kind of fitness so I could at least hang onto their wheels, their draft, their heels...something, anything. The thought of training with them pulled me through big time. I've got rumor that Katya and Lisa Mensink might show up too...I'm so in for it...

Missing: The slippers on the left were stolen last night from the beach, $1 reward! Yes, they left Kainoa's 2 right slippers...

The manta, hanging out dying, attracting big sharks too close to the pier...

The first swim back in the ocean after they opened the beach back up...

Welcome to week 2. I'm feeling a little better, a little stronger, a little more like a triathlete then I felt last week. No doubt the up coming training camp will continue to linger in my head this week too. My hope is by the time I show up in BC my Splish fits again and I don't have to bribe the girls to wait up...

Here's to some more miles!

.











16 comments:

CoachLiz said...

Yowzers! You actually got a pic of the Manta. I'm glad you did not have a run in with any sharks out there.

Come on! One week could have made your rear end grow big enough to rip your suit out. Then again, I always wearing suits 3 sizes too small to race in when I swam competitively and when there is no body fat on the body, when it shows up, you can see exactly where it goes, lol!

If I find the missing slippers I will send them your way.

Mama Simmons said...

OMG?!? A shark at the pier? Scary.

Glad you're getting back into it, Bree! The break will do you good, for sure!

t-odd said...

Welcome back! Those girls ain't got nothing on you! You'll be fine. Does Kainoa have two left slippers as well?

beth said...

i hear ya. its tough starting back. i feel like the slowest thing ever trying to run right now. but we'll get there! keep envisioning camp and you're on your way. i'm sure next week, your 214 miles will have you back in a couple cruisey workouts...
i can't believe someone stole your flip flops!!!!!

Caroline said...

I have to ask....with all those swim photos...where do you store the camera??? And I'm jealous of the Kona waters! I really wish our water here in San Diego was clear, blue, and sharkless.

MJ said...

You won't need your underwater camera swimming in the open water here in Vancouver unfortunately... though the surface shots are pretty nice:)

You'll have your mojo back in no time... and this little break will come in handy a few months from now when the chips are down.

Cheers,

IronBob said...

Time for your motivational thought provoker. Ralph Marston writes a column called the Daily Motivator. Here is one of his quotes (please take notes). "Don't lower your expectations to meet your performance. Raise your level of performance to meet your expectations. Expect the best of yourself, and then do whats necessary to make it a reality".

If that one doesn't get you going, try "YOUR GOALS, MINUS YOUR DOUBTS, EQUAL YOUR REALITY"

An Athlete In Training said...

Hope your mini-off season provided you with plenty of recovery! Good luck getting back into it.

Rory said...

Have fun. That is all that I can say. A lot of fun.

Julia said...

Who would take just the left slipper? :(
I'm sure with week two, you'll feel much like your usual self! good luck and have fun at the training camp! Pretty soon those 214 miles (wow, I am so amazed) will feel more like 2.14! :)

Jill Costantino said...

I don't like starting back after a week off either...especially when I ate like I was training for an IM and didn't stretch...the legs feel like elephant legs with bricks in them!
Note to You that I learned for myself: Don't try on swim suits after a week like that! LOL!!
Wish I was in Vancouver when you are here...you are like my "poker-roo"!!! google the poka-dot-door!

Missy said...

If you got jiggle, I got a Jell-O factory!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Congrats on getting back into the swing of training. Jiggle? I seriously doubt you have any.

Teresa said...

I think a break was a very smart idea (I just took one too!) You are so strong, and will come back even stronger and will do great in Vancouver! Happy training!
tn

The Lazy Triathlete said...

Got to love a girl who swims with her camera.

You will get back into and you will surprised how much stronger you are.

Oscarjet said...

Hola amiga ! como va todo ?
Me encantan tus fotos acuaticas y la que tienes corriendo junto a Kainoa es genial !
QUe camara usas? hace unas fotos con un color especial ...muy bonito.
Take care ma friend !!