Monday, June 15, 2009

Changing Focus...

The boards and bikini's are now taking a little break till I get some "cross training" time... It was a fun little summer fling. I might never loose that summer lovin', but for now, I gotta share the love with swimbikerun! AND I am so ready!

This morning started off with a masters swim and already the trash-talkin' was in full bloom! It was from Nate, a regular high schooler that whoops up on us every now and then... His first response was, "Why were you so slow yesterday?" in response to the biathlon where his brother and him did a relay and smoked me for the first time ever. I told him today was my come back and he better watch out, then I made him get behind me so I could lead the lane (that ended after 10x100's where my lack of training kicked my own @$$), oh it's so good to be back and Nate I am coming for you!

I get to run today too, but for now I am "feet up". That is the new plan. To stop filling every single free moment with "something fun to do". Between training sessions I have to learn to lay-low, recover, and not keep going full blast...

Coach and I had a HUGE long chat and made some changes for the 2nd half of my season. As much as I love the iron distance (it's my favorite), we took out Ironman Lake Placid. Another trip across the world (17hrs) just isn't on the plan for me, truthfully it's bitter sweet. I love the distance and will miss out on seeing some of my sponsors and gaining long distance experience, however, we decided there really is no need to race an Ironman since I have the Kona slot in my hand from that 4-ironman spree I took around the world last year. In it's place we will put Vancouver half iron where I get to train with my team and coach for a week, and Philippines 70.3!!

YES!! I begged all season long to do the Phil. 70.3 race, it was my DREAM race the day they put it on the map! Something about that place, the people, all of it reminds me of Costa Rica and it just sounds right up my alley (not to mention it is just across the ocean rather than the world!).

Now it's time for my run. I'm loving this training thing and it's so good to be back. Oh, the waves are still calling me though, focus is key right now and I'm focused, so till I un-slump myself I have to keep on this path...

Happy swimbikerun! AND Kainoa, don't you worry (see below, he is a little worried when he saw me hang the bikinis and put the boards away), we will still play at the beach, I promise!



.

28 comments:

Ange said...

your new plan sounds perfect. However, I admit I am sad that I won't see you in Lake Placid... maybe somehow I'll get over to that island of yours instead. :) I'll try.
Your little boy is SO cute and growing up too Bree...sorry to tell you that. they grow so fast. love his little face here.
enjoy getting back into the training. sounds like a little break was just what the doc ordered.

Chloe said...

That picture is worth 10000 words!!! But that break sounds like just what you needed :) Glad you took advantage of it. Can't wait to see what happens the rest of your season!!

t-odd said...

Maybe the green goop in the cup isn't agreeing with Kainoa, thus the pouty face. I like the new plan (as if my opinion means an-y-thing.) The Philippines will be a blast. It will be great for you to train with the team again. Now, go get 'em.

Jamie said...

I was thinking about heading up to Lake Placid to spectate, so sad to hear that you won't be there, but congrats on getting Coach to let you squeeze in the Philippines 70.3!

Horray for races over on your side of the world!

Lisa G said...

Sounds like a plan!! And the Philippines race sounds so cool!

Christine said...

"And when you're in a slump, you're not in for much fun. Un-slumping yourself is not easily done..."

Good luck with part 2 of the season!

Shan said...

Sounds like a great plan! Plus, the Phillipines is way cooler (not in a temperature sort of way though) than Lake Placid! I'm sure you'll have a blast!

Welcome back to training! HAVE FUN! :)

Charisa said...

Welcome back!

D said...

BREE! Vancouver Half!!!!! I'm SOOOOOO excited!!!! YAY!!!!! (would you like some more exclamations???? hehe)
And why is everyone mentioning the Philippines? Vancouver people!!!

WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!

Mama Simmons said...

Philippines... so cool. Can't wait to read about that one! :)

Maggs said...

You know I'm bummed you aren't doing Lake Placid. But I'm envious of the PI 70.3. Have fun!

Bob Almighty said...

Lake Placid = Rev3 x2 all those hills!
Philippines 70.3 sounds like a better deal. Glad you had a good rest week.

runninggunner said...

Good to hear that the break helped. Vancouver Half = awesome. I'll be doing the sprint that day.

IronBob said...

Now we are talking.. Great plan leading up to the SHOW!!!!

Jill Costantino said...

That is so great for you! Happy training and recovering!

kerrie said...

love the pic of kainoa - he looks like such a big boy now!!!!

i think your new plan sounds great :)

Oscarjet said...

Hola amigaaaa! Philipinas ! que bien !! haz un stop and go en Barcelona beach en mi casa !!!!
cuidate mucho.Nosotros estamos felices esperando a nuestro BB.
abrazos !!!!!!

ADC said...

Oh you lucky girl. I used to live in south-east Asia and LOVE it. You will have so much fun.

Julia said...

Hi! I'm a long time reader who is delurking, because I saw you in the Runner's World magazine I got yesterday! (I know it's already been out for a while.... but I was a little slow :))
It looks like you can open up a bikini shop!
Good luck being back on your swimbikerun!

Caroline said...

Girl you have more bikinis than anyone I know! A true sign of an island girl. I love it! Cute pic of Kaiona...is that a wheat grass smoothie he's drinking? Too cute!

Cricket said...

Plan sounds good- and I just wish I could fit in to 1 of those bikinis! HaHa! Hope your family time is going dandy!Love you

Maria said...

Happy 2nd half of the season Bree...was looking forward to cheering for you at LP, but I think your new plan is awesome-er;o) That's a lot of bikinis by the way...wow...
Pic. of your son...priceless...enjoy your training AND your fun at the beach...cheers from Canada ;o)

Bruce Stewart (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Jocelyn spent about 2 months in the Philippines last year - very friendly people. I hope your preparation for October goes well and you get a lot of rest as well as good training. It seems that Taiwan has not been able to host any "official" Ironman-related events, although the course is great (windy and very hot) down the southern end of the island. Maybe they will have it one day and I can help hand out the bananas. All the best.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

That is just simply the most precious pouty face ever!

Glad you're back in the swim of things Bree!

Coach Liz said...

Ha, that pout is so classic! I have seen that many times around my house. Enjoy that pout before it turns into the infamous eyeball roll that you will get in a few years.

It sounds like doing some shorter races and with your teammates is going to be fun!

greyhound said...

Awwwwww, poor boo boo face. :(

Phil 70.3 sounds perfect. Hot and humid and some fast racing to sharpen you up with out wearing you down. Coach knows what he's doing. I anticipate a nice breakthrough result this fall.

LeAnn said...

What a sad face.

Train-This said...

I am so sad! I had to much in Placid to show you! I was planning on a bobsled ride.... bet a hawaii girl never did that before!

However, Plcid is chilly for an island girl, I think the new race schedule suits you great. The fact that it does not suit me.... I guess I will have to HTFU and deal with it!

I was even going to ask you if you wanted to bring Kaiona!!! We would ahve watched him for you!