Monday, June 29, 2009

Define Paddle:

Today, after swim Coach put on the plan "add in 15 minutes of paddle". Oh Coach, that might work for your mainland athletes or the ones not on an island, 15 minutes of paddle to me, means a surf board, a one man, outrigger, stand up board, knee board, something other than the usual-not those things that hook on your hands (better known as paddles).

The ocean was small and mushy, that meant paddle it all...

Brooke and I started with surf boards, then I paddled with my arms taking fotos carrying Tom's fins (he was body surfing/yapping), from there the paddle was on a "short stand up board" as in a 7'0 which is tiny for a stand up board. And that is where I stayed...or didn't stay as you can see in the foto above!

I found something REALLY hard and was so determined to get it! A long stand up board no worries, but this little one had me all over the place. Back flops, belly flops, you name it. Once I "sorta got it" I was nearing Banyans and needed to get back to Lyman's, then I was in the line up and back in the water-on my face. It was so much fun. That was paddling, trust me, in some way this 15 minutes of paddle (as coach put on the schedule) turned out to be 2hrs of paddle, I am sure that will help come race day!

Paddle the board...
Our chief of the firemen, yep, everyone and their grandma was out (I mean no offense to that, I saw a few grandmas).
Kai Foo taking a drop...
Alyssa Foo, one of the islands top swimmers (she is an 18 minute Olympic distance swimmer at 15 years old, paddling (my style) works for her!).

Brooke-fish bait...
The calm after the storm (or clean up set)...
Looking back to shore...ahhh, the good life...
Alyssa and Maddy Foo showing off their secrets to those 24 minute 1.2 mile swim times!!
Kai Foo again... I plan to draft him at Hapuna Roughwater swim this weekend. I am taking notes on his "paddling". He usually drops me after 400 yards, these local Hawaii kids are FISH!

Weiwei Foo...(as you can see I was playing with the Foo family today)...
This isTom, Hillary Biscay's buddy from SD. She told him to swim with me, so he has been joining our masters for the past week. Day one he was sent to lane 2. After 10 minutes he was moved over to lane 1. We made him go first... then I made him paddle (with real paddles) with me after practice. Today I told him to paddle with me again since coach put more paddling on the plan. This is where he ended up... Hillary has to be careful sending her swimmer friends to me, I will steer them in the ocean pretty quick...because some days paddle does not mean in a pool...
I love training!!!!!!!!

.

21 comments:

Dolphin Boy said...

Goodtimes! I love SUPing!

Maggs said...

What other kind of paddle is there :-)

ADC said...

Hey looks like a great day.

Chloe said...

Holy cow! That is short for a stand up paddle borad (YOLO as us north fla girls call it!) There is no way I would have been able to stay on that sucker!! :)

Looks like a great day...and I hope my coach will give me a 15 min paddle today!!

Ordinarylife said...

Now that is the kind of training I need on my program. Looks awesome!

Glen said...

I keep telling my wife we need to move to your part of the world, I miss the ocean and just playing in it.

IronBob said...

The only words that come to mind are "You silly wabbit"

NJ said...

Sounds like the perfect training day! I love how you make the most of everything and don't take where you live for granted.

beth said...

sooooo much fun- looks like a blast. hope you're whipping tom into shape!

CoachLiz said...

I agree with Beth. It looks like you had super fun. Paddle some more for me until my hands heal up from my unscheduled dismount on Sunday.

Julia said...

Awesome photos! Paddle surfing is so much fun! I am going to Hawaii in a couple months and that is one of the things I really want to do while Im there! Just look at that BLUE water!

hillarybiscay said...

yay! LOVE the live update of my peeps together. so having ocean envy right now, too...thanks for taking care of tom! :)

Caroline said...

Can you send Tom back to SD...I mean doesn't he ever work ;) Plus, I'm interested in a paddle boards lesson this week. (after being in HI he will probably have zero interest in our SD icky waters).
(I captured a slot to Kona this past wknd, and am really looking forward to joining you in those clear blue waters in October). Cheers!

Tom said...

I can attest to the tippiness of that 7 ft. board...Bree, I'm just glad that you didn't get a picture of me falling off of that thing! (though I do look awkward and am barely pulling it off!!!) I'm back tonight, who wants to paddle?!?!? Bree, thanks for playing yesterday!

Cricket said...

Can I come play next time...way too fun:)

The Lazy Triathlete said...

What a life you lead. LOL

That is the way to end a hard day of training.

Trigirlpink said...

Wicked cool pix. I think Tom weighs less than me. :(

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Love the photos of you guys surfing in swimsuits...our surfers here in San Francisco are covered head to toe in neoprene.

Charisa said...

Ahhhhhhhh a perfect day! :)

Oscarjet said...

Hola AMIGA !!!! eres increible ! me encantan las fotos del mar ! y verte surfear tan feliz !! vives en el paraiso !!!!!!!!!
Abrazos !

kerrie said...

lol, i want to come and play too!!!