Sunday, June 14, 2009

It's All About The King...

Brooke, Bron, and Bree...together again!






I suppose if coach gives you a week off swimbikerun the best week to do it would be this one... King Kamehameha week, Summer Swell Week, and Family in town week!!

This week the waves popped up and by the weekend they were firing! I got to spend all week surfing as much as my arms could manage to paddle. It really kept my mind off triathlon. In fact I did a good job not even thinking about sport, including ignoring the 70.3 races this weekend, and I only read 6 emails out of too-many-to-count, NICE! Triathlon and me are going to start our friendship again tomorrow...

Coach and me had a VERY long chat, made some changes, and now I am sunny-cooked, surfed-out (not really, that might never happen), but I am ready to switch focus tomorrow...

No, that is not my yellow board, I survived... this guy got a little worked in the reef though... clean up sets anyone!?

Being one of Hawaii's most celebrated holidays, "King Kamehameha Day", the week brought a lot of festivities to keep me focused, like the King Kamehameha Regatta! Congrats Kai Opua on well earned win! We also had the parade, free shave ice party to ring in the new Target opening, Tour de Big Island bike races (that I did not get to play!), and of course the local Peaman that I got to play in zone 1-2!! Thankfully all the surfing this week had my arms at least able to swim, the run we won't talk about, zone 1-2 never felt so "interesting", and I was nervous all the middle school girls were going to run me down on my jog down Ali'i...

This was my favorite float... the little keiki on a quad scooping horse poop! ha ha ha, it was great. And to get the town fired up about Targets grand opening in Kona (July 26), there was a Target float. Brooke & Nick can hardly wait, they already took the day off work to stand in line first...
Tomorrow starts the second half of the season... here's hoping it goes better than the first half!

.

14 comments:

Maggs said...

Great pics. To get Oahu fired up about the grand opening of Target, they were all around town passing out Leonard's Malasadas. So good.

Happy training next week.

Missy said...

Great pix! This would have been the PERFECT time for you to join me for a run..the only time I could hang on.

t-odd said...

Wow. Those are some big waves. Your parade looks much better than our 4th of July parade, maybe because it's in Hawaii. I am glad Target can bring you all so much joy - it's a home grown company here in Minneapolis. Enjoy!

Have a great return to training. You have learned a ton, now put it to work. GOOOOO Bree!

Cricket said...

Tell everyone hello- great picture of you all! I have the most beautiful nieces in the world... Have a great time makin memories! We allwish we were there- give everyone my love and I know your "second" half will be great!
Love you
PS Hayden bought a new Longboard on the East Coast today!!!

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Fantastic pictures! YES - sometimes all we need is a little R&R! :) here's to getting FIRED UP! for the second half!!! You'll do great!!

Terrish B said...

HORRAY FOR BIG WAVES!!! I have to shift gears tomorrow, but the waves were a great way to get your focus on "nothing but happiness" I am sure glad us surfer girls got our fix this week! Happy Training Bree!

ADC said...

Great pics and have a great "back in training" week

IronBob said...

Good to hear you had a great week of R&R. With no health gunk, equipment malfunctions, and jet lag issues, the second half will rock!!

Sherry Lynn said...

Glad you had an awesome R&R week! Great pics! Tri season part two is going to be amazing!!!

Bruce Stewart (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

James had a great race in Kansas after some time of resting and refocusing, so I am sure you will do great once it all comes together again. I have been tired, too, maybe too much work over many months, and so I have been going for easy bike rides with Jocelyn and just trying to relax a little.

Coach Liz said...

That parade looks awesome! I take it the regatta was for out-rigger canoes and not sailboats.

Nothing like a bit of a break to refresh the mind and the enthusiasm. I have to remind my athletes that races that are not their "A" races should not be raced as "A" races, but rather used as test sets to see where the training plan needs to be tweaked and modified or possibly even scrapped and started over again. I know your coach is working hard on a plan that will make you race HUGE in October.

donna furse said...

you learned so much from the first part of your season that its all good because you will take these last few months and train and race even better than you have. Your a true inspiration to me and my 4 children, keep the spirit high and your smile going you will do awesome.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Love love love the photo of Kainoa's face in the water. That's just pure joy.

Glad you're enjoying the time off girl!

Jennifer Harrison said...

Sometimes we just need a fresh change/perspective and some change up - sounds like this PHIL 70.3 is the ticket. Glad you feel your mojo coming back!!!! :)) ENJOY Bree!!!