Sunday, June 28, 2009

Kona Marathon & Other Distances...


Today was my best day of racing since IM Japan (about a year ago). Not because I broke any record or set a best time (I was far from either), but because the same emotions I felt at IM Japan (and all the previous races) were with me today, I was enjoying sport again-A LOT, I was really happy to be part of something I love, and I "wanted" to be running, to be racing...

After IM Japan everything just got bumpy and rocky and junky... nothing to do with sport, it was the divorce. It had a larger impact on me then I was allowing myself to believe. I remember calling coach from the middle of a long ride telling him I can't even ride my bike, I have to get off now, my head is absent-in the clouds trying to save and fix something broken. Sport just stopped mattering to me. Some of my good friends use sport as an outlet-for me it 's a passion, something I can't use as an escape (I've tried), its something I do out of love. Most things I love (including sport) just took a long back seat as I went through the motions without care or thought.

The past couple weeks I decided to let myself feel the sting, the shock, the pain. I decided to just take it and stop faking that everything was okay. It worked, I was able to face so many emotions and so many bad places that I didn't want to look at. Perhaps it was like all this time I was just putting a band aid on my injury rather then letting it heal. Today, running, it felt like I could breathe again.

After the race I was so excited to call coach (the past like 8 races I didn't call him till he called me). For the race he gave me just a couple things to think about, we knew I was not fit for this and that I was climbing out of an emotional-lack of confidence-dark hole. The goals were simple, have some fun, get the nutrition right, get the HR up, and think about my form all the way. Coach- this video is for you-I decided not to run with high elbows!

video

Brooke & Kainoa hung out on the corner of Kuakini & Palani snapping some fotos and laughing as we climbed the hill: Some of the Kona locals she snapped fotos of...





Like most Hawaii races, awards were picnic style next to the beach, in swim suits with good friends. Ruben (see above) and I did our first ever run race together (this very race, the Kona half) in 2003. Back then we had no idea what we were doing, we had only ever run 8 miles at a single time. Our friend Lauren told us to take a gel, so I "took a gel" as in carried it with me, really I had no idea what a darn gel was. About mile 6 we were toast and our friend Kawika told us we should have a gel! DUH! So, the one gel I "took" Ruben and I shared at mile 6... Today we laughed as we both had our own gels!!
Hanging out with part-time Kona faves... The famous Frank Shorter & Shirley Perley!

Big Mike celebrating his Marathon with a Kona Brew...

Top female age group winners (way to show em' Kona girls).
Of course I had to snap The Hawaii Photoman!

The Jesser family...

Kainoa on stage (see far left) trying to snag awards...

Jon Kunitake-the AMAZING race director who will run this marathon EVERY year of his life!

Boys being boys...

The largest cup of Kona coffee ever...

Terrin and Kainoa post sunscreen war...

Our crew for the first few miles...

Terrin, Sam, and Melissa...

Post run shaved ice-yes, Hawaii races are sweet!

Jon, Frank, and Ruben...then came trouble!


After the run it was the children's turn to play, and play they did! Congrats to ALL the finishers of all the distances! Way to beat the Kona heat!

.

21 comments:

MJ said...

Hey! Awesome to hear that your mojo is back... you were flying up that hill!

Looks like a pretty fun race, would love to do it one day...

Cheers,

D said...

I am 100% a fueled by passion for sport person too. When shit stinks, training goes down the shitter (could I swear more on your blog?). I wish I could be one of those people who uses sport as an outlet - I really envy that. But that is not me and I totally get where you're coming from.

So glad you felt the goodness again. Broke my heart at IMC. I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks :)

Missy said...

Isn't it weird that it can 'just happen' one day? Something clicks, something goes off inside where it's just, 'yeah, I love this, this is why I do this!' It may not be the best day but it's the most funnn day.

t-odd said...

Glad to hear you are back in your happy place. Kainoa is too damn cute. Did I miss it? How did you place? (It doesn't really matter, just curious.) I love the Aloha spirit at your races - Minnesota needs a little Aloha spirit at our races some times.

ADC said...

Hey Bree, it's so good to see that things are looking better for you. Nice photos.

Jennifer Cunnane said...

I hear ya about embracing the pain and not putting a band aid on problems we all face in life. I am SO happy for you that things came together for this race. The biggest victory in life is our ability to overcome tough times, because it means the best of times are right around the corner!

Julia said...

Look at you flying up that hill! I'm glad to hear that things are looking bright for you again. Sometimes life throws us in a loop, but it is the tough times we learn to find strength and courage.
You rocked it :)

IronBob said...

Keep up the high spirits. You have a gift and keeping mind and body on the same wavelength is critical.

Cheers

Regina said...

Great, happy post! Send some of that my way! Congrats on facing our demons and slaying them.

ckotte said...

"bumpy and rocky and junky"

Sometimes that's life....and you sure sound like you have gotten stronger! I am happy to hear your passion, energy, and love back at it! Keep kicking ass out there!

CoachLiz said...

That sounded like a great race for you and for everyone else. I would have run a few more miles yesterday if there would have been shaved ice at the Buffalo Springs finish line.

Josie said...

Congrats on your multiple victories yesterday (placing 1st and breaking through)! My husband and I have run a few races with you (though we're so far back we could probably help bring in the cones) and it's always so inspiring seeing a pro from Kona do so well! Good luck at the Ironman! We'll be rooting for you!

Jill Costantino said...

Woohoo - glad you had such a great day! I LOVE how you didn't wait til your lil mans B-day to give him his present:) I would've done the same! That day looks fantastic..sooo much fun.
The purple pants ROCK!!! He kindof looks like he should be doing a John Travolta move. Please don't tell him I said that!
Hugs

ShirleyPerly said...

CONGRATS on all your wins!!

I thought there was something different about your smile yesterday :-)

So wonderful to see you. You really are an inspiration both on and off the race course.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Bree - so so happy for you. Super hard stuff you were slogging through. You go girl.

ganetto said...

I love your blog ! Congratulations for the half-marathon . I am doing my first IRONMAN next year here at home (BRAZIL !!!). Kisses !

Dave Jewell said...

Bree,

Great Post! Thanks for sharing it. It's about Passion here too. Can't enjoy it if there is other crap going on. You helped me realize that today.

Dave

Shawn and Tracy said...

Bree,
congrats on finding you love for racing again. This year I faced a lot of distractions too and it can be so hard to put in the work daily when your heart feels like it should be else where. Your form looked great:-)
Tracy

Marni said...

Love the pics....they are the best part of your race report!!! Love all the smiles!!
-marn
*I love your board pics from the last blog :) Looks like fun!

Bruce Stewart (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

I found about three posts I hadn't seen and I thought I checked your blog only yesterday. Well, I can't seem to write anything as each day for me is just the same old routine and I am so tired with work and my mediocre swims and occasional leisurely bike rides. I don't know what I like anymore.

Maijaleena said...

Hi Bree. I'm happy to hear you were able to start processing your divorce and that you have your love of the sport back.

As I have been going through this process of healing from a divorce I've been learning that I don't have to always tell people I'm okay and that I'm doing fine if I'm not. I just have to be where I am.

Good luck with everything.