Monday, June 8, 2009

One of Those Days...

Rev3 Triathlon exceeded my expectations! Little Ol' Middlebury was such a cool little town and the race itself was BRILLIANT! That is the only word to sum it up... it was BRILLIANT!

My race day on the other hand was far from brilliant, it was just one of those days. I could tell from the swim start that something was missing...the blood wasn't boiling, the muscles were weak, and everything hurt. Rather than accept the possibility that I had royally done my body in I was going to give it everything and have as much fun as possible, NO WAY could I let that LONG flight take me this far just to get down in the dumps. (Believe me though it was tempting after training so hard to come up with nothing in the tank).

After loosing feet on the swim I played a game called 20/20 and I would swim 20 strokes as hard as I could then 20 normal, that kept myself focused since I was swimming alone (except someone tickled my feet a couple times). I decided that I was going to make every single thing within my control go PERFECT- it would be a LONG solo training day...

On the bike I tried so hard to go. I was trying everything from sprinting to big gears to high cadence and there was nothing. It was painful getting passed so much and not having energy to react. Again I reminded myself days like this happen and sadly it was on a race day... The plan for the bike became do what I can do and nail my nutrition...

The run...I won't even bother to explain. The run goal became "Have as much fun as possible"! Deep down I wanted to cry, but that would not solve a darn thing. I stepped back, back to the days of just loving and adoring triathlon, days where I was happy just to be racing. The only goal I gave myself was not to walk a single second. That was the easy part. I just took it step by step and smiled through it all.

The day was very humbling and nearing the finish line I wanted to cry because it felt like I let down myself, my coach, my son, and my supporters. Just as I crossed the line though Ben from K-Swiss was there, then Charlie of Trakkers, and then Simon from Argon 18 bikes. All of them were there and none of them expected me to explain. I couldn't explain it. I was physically done. I called coach, he was my greatest fear. He seemed to already know...and with that he is giving me this week off. I am not allowed to swim masters, ride with the boys, or run with any friends. No swim, bike, or run with any speed or training focus. I am allowed to surf, jump from the cliffs, climb volcanoes, dance hula, and play checkers. We are going back to the drawing board to undo whatever damage I did through training, trying to race sick, and just digging a little hole then jumping in...

I must confess one thing... it felt SO MUCH better finishing a race, no matter how ugly it was, then having DNF or stop a race! With that... it was time to celebrate! Lisa the Olympian (I still love the fact she raced in the Olympics), and Simon from Argon 18 made sure we finished the weekend all smiles!

Post race ice bath in the lake. We found SO many treasures in that lake... we found a bead necklace, eye glasses, toy airplanes, spoons, and some other random things...
Time for the Mad Mouse!
So far so fun....
No longer fun... Looks like I am about to barf up my gels and being sick did not help...
Riding with Simon... not sure how they got me to ride 2x in a row...
Lisa taking Simon down! Poor guy got destroyed by us all day long! How cool is that to have one of your best sponsors & an Olympian cheering you up all day long!?
More rides...
Simon trying to destroy our eating habits by buying us treats!!

This was a highlight for Lisa and I... we met this little boy in the ice cream line who was totally excited to meet some professionals, little did he know we were encouraged meeting him. He said when he grows up he wants to be a professional triathlete. Something about children and being able to encourage them just makes everything in life really good...

Finally, 16 or 17 hours later I am home to the middle of the sea and with Kainoa! Big Mahalos as this day was made possible by the following:

Trakkers, K-Swiss, Argon 18 Bikes, Splish, Bike Works, Blue Seventy, Life Sport Coaching, Travis Blanton/Jonson & Blanton, The Schott Family, Hands on Healing Massage, and of course my Kainoa & family!! LOVE you guys!!

41 comments:

Dolphin Boy said...

Aloha and welcome home to the islands Bree!! Can't wait to see you! Thanks for the post race report! You are a superstar!! :)

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Bree - you are amazing just being YOU! Even if you have the race you want or don't... Enjoy the rest and recovery - have fun jumping off cliffs and surfing and relaxing with The Little Guy! Sending you hugs and good vibes from CA!

PS - the mouse roller coaster always makes me feel like I'm gonna hurl...

rr said...

I'm sorry you had a hard day Wee, but your attitude is always amazing. Glad you had a fun trip and are home safe and sound!

Maggs said...

Sorry to hear you didn't have a great race. Get it all out of the way now so you can rock Lake Placid. Enjoy the 'down time' this week.

Ramon Serrano said...

This is a chorus from an Eminem song! It reminded me of you!

I'm a soldier, these shoulders hold up so much,
they won't budge, I'll never fall or fold up
I'm a soldier, Even if my collar bones crush or crumble,
I will never slip or stumble
I'm a soldier, These shoulders hold up so much,
they won't budge, I'll never fall or fold up
I'm a soldier, Even if my collar bones crush or crumble,
I will never stumble

ADC said...

It must be sooo nice to be back home. Sorry to hear about your race but it is time for some rest now.

Missy said...

You're stronger than most, that's for sure! There's something about a pro that sucks it up and finishes (when DNF could have been an option) that makes the rest of us feel it's worth it.

Bruce Stewart (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

I sensed you would probably face some difficulty having been ill only last week and having also done over half a race then. That plus all the traveling must take a lot out of you. I myself am often so tired with work and so on that I have been swimming like a 95-year-old. So come to think of it, you are still doing extremely well.
I don't have much time to write blogs at the moment, but you can follow my updates on Twitter (asiabruce). Healing vibes to you.

Kelly said...

Despite the bad day you had, you were a total inspiration to me. I saw you while I was about 1.5 miles into the run and you were headed mile 9 or so. You were running hard and totally smiling!! Thanks for your great attitude and also your honesty! Enjoy your rest and recovery!!

ShirleyPerly said...

No explanations needed, Bree! You did great to get to the finish line, esp. considering how ill you were last week. Rest up and get healthy. Maybe I'll see around the Kona Marathon? I'm doing the half.

Beth said...

I hope you enjoy your rest and recovery Bree - and I know when you get back to it you will be sooo much stronger and ready to kick some butt like always! Sounds like a great trip regardless of the outcome and that's what's most important. Take care!

Trigirlpink said...

Not being happy with the placing you had or how you felt all day was one thing but you didn't give up, toughed it out and even smiled on that run! That is a true professional. Kudos missy. So nice to finally get to meet you. Good things ahead, you'll see!!!!

Amy Beth Kloner said...

Kudos to you for sticking it out even if you weren't feeling it. You went there to race, and that's what you did. Enjoy the down time, let your body heal, and don't sweat it. You've got mad talent and and a great attitude.

t-odd said...

I love amusement parks and the Mad Mouse always gives me whiplash. Sorry you didn't have the race you wanted. I think it would be incredibly difficult to race after being barfing sick and flying a quarter of the way around the world backwards (I am trying to say jetlag.) At least you don't pout and always make the best of the situation. That is what a pro does. I wouldn't think you let anyone down. Enjoy the time off, get healthy and get ready to go big.

Bob Almighty said...

Kudos on completing such a tough course. In New England there are three types of bike loops,Hilly, Really Hilly, and bring your own Sherpas...I think this was the latter. The fact you did this all while sick makes you a rockstar in my book. Hope the healing begins quickly.

Chris said...

Bree, that course was a monster, it's a big achievement finishing it strong! Have you finished a harder HIM before?

Oh, and your training program for this week sounds awesome! :-)

Slow Rider said...

I hear you on the finish and putting the dnf behind. I have been on the fun plan now for 3 weeks, I need a coach to say enough.

swimfin said...

Thanks for leaving a race report even though I'm sure you really did not want to talk about it. That was a tough task to fly across the country after being sick and try and do a race. Enjoy a week of surfing and try and get healthy!

MJ said...

It's only a matter of time before one of these goes off without a hitch. You were unlucky with that sickness hitting you in this busy part of your season...

Don't let it get you down. It's another dues payment made. Soon you'll be paid up and then look out....

When it all comes together (and it won't be long) you'll appreciate and deserve every bit of it.

Enjoy the rest and the surf!

Amanda said...

It's quite an admirable feat to finish with a smile when you know you aren't performing at ability. Cheers to you for not taking it TOO seriously!

Enjoy the week of fun! It will bring back the pep in your step without you having to do anything.

Kim said...

Oh Bree.. I'm sorry to hear your story but you are not alone..that happens to everyone and considering what your body and just gone through, it's not a surprise. We are not super human -although we would like to be sometimes! You did your absolute best and worked with what God gave you that day, for that, you should be very happy and feeling good. There will be other races to rip it up! You are STILL my favoriate Pro triathlete! Enjoy your rest!!!

IronBob said...

Hello from Vegas!! I'm taking the week off too, not that 7 hours training per week counts as training.

You know what? Dont underestimate the negative power of jet lag. Something to think about, maybe?
The great thing is the "grand daddy" of all races is on YOUR turf, on YOUR terms, and in YOUR training grounds.

Keep up the high spirits and enjoy some down time.

Dave said...

Bree, congrats on making the best of your day, and hope you have a great week of fun and relaxation! (And the "No longer fun" picture cracked me up!)

Bob Mitera said...

Hey Bree - you were sick, you flew across 33% of the Earth and the cold?

OK... your bad day is still better than my best. Last time I raced sick (St. Croix 2002) I got 5 IVs at the finish line after blacking out 800m from the finish. I finished but didn't remember anything until I came to in the med tent.

Keep your head up. Keep trying.

Bob

Oscarjet said...

Amiga !!! holaaaa, no tengo mucho tiempo para escribir! me encanta ver tus fotos y leerte ! me alegro mucho mucho mucho de todo lo que escribes !!!!!!!! que bien !
un abrazo muy grande !!

Nibbles said...

Hi Bree,

You did not disappoint this supporter! I know the flu took a lot out of you. Enjoy your week off and let your great attitude shine!

Christy Johnson
New York, NY

Mama Simmons said...

Seriously, Bree, you have the best attitude of any triathlete I know.

goSonja said...

Bree, you are a true class act. I know you struggled on Sunday, but you kept a smile on your face. I will never forget you scaring the tar out of me coming down the hill. Only someone like Bree Wee would turn a sour race into an opportunity to inspire her fans.

Keep on keeping on, you are so talented, with patience it will all come together for you.

I just know it will.

:)

Go Gammie said...

Glad you got home OK Bree and will have some R&R time. You are an inspiration racing sick, and then flying into earlier time zones and racing again without proper recovery and healing. Going on a roller coaster sick is also brave, I would not have wanted to be sitting behind you.
Rest up, have fun this week and you will be all ready to kick butt again!!

CoachLiz said...

Bree,

No matter how the race went down, you are still an inspiration and a celebrity to so many of us out in blog land. It is good for us age groupers to know that event the professional triathletes have crap training and racing days that sometime can and cannot be explained. And a big thank you for finishing no matter that you wanted to jump ship with the rats. Your persistence was a huge encouragement to many racing that day.

KareMack said...

Bree,
Hope you are feeling better and have recoop from the trip. We enjoyed having you girls and you are always welcome to stay anytime.

Charisa said...

I will have to remember the 20/20 idea! Bree you are so beyond strong! Enjoy your rest - there are many more races you will rock this year!

Maria said...

Bree...you did the best with what you had...great job ;o)
Enjoy your rest...

NJ said...

You always have the best attitude, even when things don't go as planned. I guess it's better to get all the glitches out before October! ;-) Have a fun week off with that handsome little man of yours.

Lisa G said...

Bree,
You have such an amazing attitude despite struggling through a tough day! Great job on finishing and pushing through all of the challenges! You are, as always, an inspiration.

Heidi Austin said...

Bree congrats on finishing and pulling through. Sometimes that is all we can do... These painful trials usually make us stronger. I think all of us get so caught up in racing sometimes it's easy to forget how lucky we are to even participate in such a great sport. Enjoy surfing and cliff jumping! You deserve some time off! And thanx for being such an inspiration to us all!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Bree - so sorry to hear you're not your 100 percent bouncy self - though I love how you talked yourself through the race. Amazing!

Cy said...

Bree- Enjoy the recharge time. You did a brave thing to get out there and do the best you could on a subpar day. You're attitude is always so inspiring.

triblog carol said...

Great race report. Sorry you didn't have a great day. Way to keep on smiling thru it all. It was great meeting you (I am on Team Trakkers)...you and Lisa were both so friendly and down to earth.

OMG, I didn't even think of riding the amusement park rides. Epic Fail!

LeAnn said...

"Oh how fun!"

Wes said...

I had one of those days/races... You left out the rumor about mooning somebody. Now THAT is having fun :-)