Friday, July 3, 2009

I'll Bring The Balls...

A "lovely April Day"
One I think about A LOT...

Today: One I thought about ALL week.
Here is where life gets ugly... but if you make it out alive it's a beautiful thing!

Me and the track have never been friends, it's hated me since 1997. 1997 was my Junior year of high school and the year I tried out for the track team. I sucked, coaches words not mine. He told me if I really wanted to be on the team I can run hurdles. SURE, I was short, I'll find a way to get over them. A few meets later I was over them-as in, track wasn't for me.

I didn't see the track again till Coach Paul became my coach. Every time I see it I just see this horrible, ugly loop that causes me a great deal of frustration. Maybe frustration because I have unfinished business with it, maybe frustration because running on the track truly becomes one of those times where the mind has to be stronger than the body and you must prepare for it.

I did prepare. I made recovery balls. They were my bribe to gather up anyone in Kona who would play with me. That top foto, those are some of my team mates. In April we had 8x800 repeats on 6min. pace. They pulled me along, pushed me, and helped me reach mentally when the body was wanting to chill out. Today it was 8x1000 repeats on 5:30 pace. I have trained hard all week, with a long ride and a run off the bike yesterday that left me smashed. This time the pace was more challenging so facing it alone required back ups, thankfully the balls were enough to bring out the boys.

I would LOVE to report that it was AWESOME AND I FELT GREAT! However, it was not awesome and I did not feel great. It hurt like giving birth and I felt like someone was beating me up. After round 3 it got ugly enough that I had to get help from Coach Eric...I was determined to finish the workout without giving up or caving in, but I didn't know how. These demons that come from facing training sessions where you lay it all on the line and make it or break it were looking me square in the eyes.

I could slow down, I could take more rest, I could call it a day. I told Coach Eric I wanted to finish, I have to find a way, I'm committed. I missed my goal by 8 seconds and was on the verge of crying, I told him I can not cry at the track (that would be too much like 11th grade), and I wanted to do this. I asked him if its my legs or my head not making this. He told me only I can answer that. Round 4-8 I ran with Coach Eric. He told me to tuck in behind him to save myself from going out to hard and to focus by following. I did just that, he was the train that pulled me around the track. I was off my goal pace 4-7 but I was making it in so many other ways. Round 8 the plan was to do the first 600 on Coach Eric's pace then build and fly home the last 400. My goal became to hold off Coach Eric and hold off those ugly demons that tell me it will feel better to take it easier. Yes, easier does feel better but only temporarily, today I did not take easy...

I still have unfinished business with that darn track. Maybe tomorrow I will go again, just kidding. Today left a little fuel for the fire and in some ugly way I am looking forward to the next go at a track session. Until then I prefer not to see another loop.

Way to hold up the wall boys! Ha ha... see ya next time, I'll bring the balls!

16 comments:

Regina said...

great determination, I envy that. I have such a hard time pushing myself while running. I'm still kind of a newbie to running, so not loving it yet, but hoping I will one day!

those recovery balls look sooooooo yummy! care to share the recipe? always looking for food that is good for me as I slowly try to improve my diet.

have a great 4th!

Jennifer Harrison said...

Ok, I LOVE the track - favorite run workout EVERRRR. But, I had to laugh b/c when I read "balls" in your header, I thought it was about "getting balls" on the track - well, it kinda does, but only my mind thought that!

Nice job on the track! :) 1000s are tough!

rr said...

I'm with you - the track just breaks me, I sometimes can't sleep the night before! I don't know why it's so hard to get through the whole workout, but it is. One of my best ever was one of Coach Paul's - 8 x 1 mile or something that would make me puke if I had to do it right now. I always need company!! Congrats on sticking it out! Eric is awesome company, we finished Honolulu together once. :)

Kiet said...

Bree, funny, I just did 5 x 1000's on thursday night, my first real track workout of the season. After number 2, I told my coach I think I used up all my hurt days (I am 38 now). I have this theory that we are only allotted so many hurt days. Well, I found that focusing on form and not on time really helps and somehow I maintained the last three. But no way I could have done 8. I'm glad I don't make a living doing this. ;o)

Marni said...

I feel the pain just from your blog..
Ball recipe???? Love it already!

t-odd said...

"Balls" - bwa-ha-ha-ha. You had to know I would focus on that. The track is always so discouraging for me because it seems to never end. Way to tough it out.

Chloe said...

I'm right there with you on the memories from HS track. I still can't 'take it easy' when it comes to track workouts and get super stressed out everyh time I even come close to one.

Congrats on the workout. Reading about your determination is a HUGE motoivation for me!! :)

Have a great 4th!

Oscarjet said...

Buen entreno amiga !! me gustan mucho tus fotos, no me cansare de repetirlo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wow !!!! me gusta mucho tu estilo de running ! a seguir fuerte !

Lisa G said...

Wow, what a crazy hard workout! I despise the track too! Way to go on toughing it out to the end of the last interval!

Mel said...

Nice header there Bree...haha OK header and balls....hum =)

I only like the track...because I LOVE the spikey shoes...they are the coolest shoes....I haven't been on a track since 1990..yikes..but 400's were my thing and the looonnngest I would ever run=)

I can't believe track wasn't your thing...and there is no way you sucked!!!you are smokin fast.....get luvin the track!!!

CoachLiz said...

Damn, I'm glad I am only running 600's right now. 8 of those are just enough to irritate me for the evening. If there is coconut in those recovery balls, I'm all over them!

Running~Jordan said...

Bree - I'm such a huge fan of your recovery cookies and now I just need to know your recovery balls recipe :) And I might even do a couple of track repeats to earn them?? :)!

Ange said...

ok, it's official. we all want teh recipe for the balls!! ;)
And I thought what Jen did about teh balls when I first read it too.
Way to hang tough again Bree... You are so strong and such a hard worker. Even if you are a few seconds off the goal..your hard work means everything.

Josie said...

Can I just say how RIPPED you all look in that photo? Seriously. Wow.

I would be horribly jealous and bitter except as I sit here typing this, I'm happily munching away on li hing mui dried strawberries so I'm thinking that may have something to do with me having a gut... Hmm. ;-)

Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day! Purely by coincidence, I referenced you in today's blog entry. I don't bike or swim (unless someone figures out a way to temporarily remove all fish from the ocean), but I'll be at Hilo in March!

themagicisback said...

Your running on my track! Helped me to get 4th at states in 800 and the 1500. I ran a 4:22 1500 on that track when it was still grass. HAHA! Wish I was there to run some mile repeats with you! Hope your doing well Bree. Later

Cody

Eileen Swanson said...

Track in OZ on that grass was the toughest ;-) Way to go on your workout and sticking it out...