Monday, July 20, 2009

She's Baaaaaaaaaaack!

There is something about landing at KOA and hearing the flight attendant say, "ALOHA and welcome to Kona"... it just sounds sooooooooooo perfect, like music to my ears! I jumped down the stairs like a kid at Christmas and took a DEEP breath of the salty air-I AM HOME! The heat was so intense and the winds were howling...I LOVE LIFE HERE!

First things first... rescue Kainoa from school then hit the pier! (A girl has her priorities, right?) Today was the Bill Fish Tourney- the biggest we saw come to shore was a 157lb Yellowfin, not really that big, maybe it's because of the full moon. In anycase, a day around the ocean is a day well spent!



Tomorrow I get to dive back into the Pacific with a solo ocean swim, then it's me and the Queen K for a solo ride... ahhhh, island training... I already miss my team, they make everything just a touch faster, a bit more aggressive, and slightly more scary. Canada camp showed me that the level I train solo just might be a bit too chillaxed. I might have to do something about that...

Watching the paddlers made me miss paddling A LOT. I talked to one of the coaches, I'm thinking I might need to jump back in the boat to get my competitive juices going. Pretty sure coach will say NO BREE. But you never know...and to paddle Big Island you need to be on fire you aren't in the boat, I think it will get me back into the "Go-fight-win" that I often exchange for la la la la la...


Oh, SUPER SUNDAY... I better wrap that one up! Yesterday our team set out for a 2:20hr run, it was the hilliest long run I ever saw. We did end up running on the beach though so that made up for the mountain goat I was becoming. After that it was another lake swim. All I can say is a lake swim on tired run legs (the day after that speedy run and bike) was more like a float! In fact, Mags and I floated into a boat (I'll end it there in case coach is reading this). Out of the ocean and we had another hour run. Combined, that was a darn marathon for this momma! My legs somehow survived for some Russian Rejuvenation from Mr. Potato Head (don't ask...). About the time there was nothing left all I could do was think about food...

I really wanted a burrito but Cooper took us to Ethiopian food. Believe me, when I first saw it I pretty much decided I would be eating a few dinners... but it was a cultural experience that left me more than satisfied!

It's 34 days till Philippines 70.3 and 83 days till IM Hawaii!! My goal is to keep the lessons I learned at Canada Camp and use them here on the island. It's a struggle for me... living in such a mello place where the vibe is as slow and the currents and everything sways as gentle as the palm trees I forget that I have to go fast. Often I fall into the slower paced, aloha living, coconut sharing, story talkin', sunset watching moods of whatever the locals have going on...

It is now time to think about how to fix my IPOD (I acidentally washed it in my run shorts). I'm not really too worried, it was mostly Marley, AND Ziggy will be in Maui August 16th! I might swim over there for my long swim day just so I can hear him LIVE! I'm rambling now, GOOD NIGHT from Kona, I'm HOME!!!

Bree

18 comments:

Maggs said...

Welcome home! I already have my Ziggy tickets for the show on the 15th here! Come on over!

Samantha said...

yo. This is your mom Phylis. So I opened TP today to find a 5k open water swim race on my schedule on sunday (I was assuming I was just doing the 3k)...followed by a 2 hour run right after...but I'm excited. haha. You should come back for those.

Thanks again for the seaweed.

D said...

Sam's gone mental or something. I'm excited to (maybe) sit and watch her do all that bahahaha.

My ipod broke too. Then my heart did. Damn.

rr said...

Come watch Ziggy here at the shell with me!! Glad you're home where you belong and had a wonderful time!!

rr said...

Come watch Ziggy here at the shell with me!! Glad you're home where you belong and had a wonderful time!!

ADC said...

Glad you are home Bree. Now, enjoy the training and mello life.

Regina said...

aaaahhhhhh....life sounds good.....

ShirleyPerly said...

Oh, I miss Kona already! I know EXACTLY what you mean about getting off the plane there. *BIG SIGH*

Have fun setting the island on fire with your training. I'm sure you'll scorch many along the way :-)

miles99999 said...

Bree,
Hope you are able to catch some of the solar eclipse today (not sure how much if any you will be able to see). Keep up the solid training!

Dave Jewell said...

Crazy as this sounds I was unoffical leader of the Bill Fish tourney a few years back. I was guest on a boat filming for ESPN on day one of the tourney. My Marlin was 457lbs.
It only lasted a day but it was fun!
Love that Island.

Mel said...

Glad you made it home safely...um that food looks like BARF....yuck, seriously how did you eat that :)

Go Gammie said...

Heh Bree!!
Wow it must be so nice to be home and see Kainoa. Keep up the awesome training and enjoy the Island atmosphere. You must be getting excited for the next 2 big races, you are going to do great!!!

Charisa said...

WElcome home!!

Julia said...

Ahh Ziggy! :)
Glad you made it home safe and sound.
It sounds like you got some good hard training in Canada land for your upcoming races! It IS tough to find the aggression/speed when you live in such a chillaxed place, but you can do it! The Philippines will be such a cool experience.
I have never tried Ethiopian food, but that sure does delicious! mmmmm

Marni said...

Happy you are home! That dog is Campy's cousin!! OH my gosh...so cute!!
Love the pics and keep up the great training!
-marn

t-odd said...

Did you eat the ethiopian food "ethiopian style"? All fingers and no utensils. Glad you are back in HI. Keep that intensity up and be sure to go see Ziggy - he'll never come to MN. Great camp!

beth said...

welcome home! i bet that boy of yours was OH so happy to see mamma!

and have fun on your solo missions these next few days...i'm pretty sure you can make just about anything fun....and you will!

NJ said...

Glad to hear you're safely back home and get to see that adorable boy of yours! I love how you always learn something from every camp and race experience. Keep up those strong workouts so you can give Wellington some strong competition this year!