Friday, July 10, 2009

Touch Down Vancouver!

For crying out loud, no matter how hard Coach and I try to get me on a reasonable flight it always ends up being a little on the LONG side. At least this time around it was really fun and I wasn't solo. Forget arriving yesterday, I made it about 8.5 hours later than expected-today, BUT I made it and so did my bike, wetsuit, and goggles, you get the point...


In a long line at the Kona airport I was rescued by some local homeboys (actually Kohala boys). The bike, a huge bag of stuff for the training camp, me and the carry on patiently awaiting the 4.5 hour delay were saved by some incredibly hilarious company, "The Kohala boys heading to Alaska". They helped me lug all that luggage, calm me about the delay and keep the "aloha" in me flowing despite the fact I was soon leaving the island. Knowing we would not be leaving anytime soon we load up in a friend of a friends pick up truck and head to The Harbor House (for schooners of course)... just kidding, it was for the fish.


The boys made sure to feed me well, show me all the boats, and remind me that this trip will zoom by and before long I will be back on the rock-or a boat (we already have a fishing trip planned). Kona to Seattle was the usual hop-skip-jump over the Pacific. The only difference was we passed the airplane food and ate Glens musubi's (I'm still not convinced he made them himself)! Nothing like a little island flavor to go along with pineapple juice! Good company made it fly by and just as I finally doze off to sleep they are waking me up-2am landing!


From there it was a good 5 hours in the airport with the Kohala boys. They were cracking me up with their excitement to go fishing in Alaska, I'm sure I looked a little insane with my excitment to race a triathlon in Canada! Every 10 minutes I would just about fall asleep only to wake with a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th wind. Each time I woke up I was covered in a jacket or beach towel, I'm telling you I was spoiled rotten by the Kohala crew. For the life of me I could barely stay awake, carry my own bag, or keep myself safe for over 5 hours in the Seattle Airport-those boys were angels for sure!


Eventually all fun airport adventures come to an end and the Kohala crew boarded a flight to Alaska and me to Vancouver! I slept the ENTIRE Seattle-Vancouver flight, probably a solid 3hrs, Linsey Corbin told me it was only 45 minutes...darn it! My incredible Vancouver momma (Angela James) rescued me and before too long I was passed out in a warm bed...only to be awoken for a run Coach had me do.


Run views in Vancouver are nothing short of spectacular. It looks like somebody hand painted this place, it's unreal. After the run I could not help but spend a few minutes in the grass, under a giant tree, over looking the ocean. It was magnificant! I love running here...


From there it was a pro-press conference. Catching up with my team mates and the other athletes was a cause for celebration, they are incredible people. When my turn came to answer the "Why do you enjoy racing in the Vancouver Half Ironman", I had to respond with, "I don't come for this race, putting on a wetsuit is not fun for this bikini lover, I come for the people", I meant that, sort of. The team, the coaches, this entire little city is just full of amazing people, I think some Aloha was once brought to this place and it just never wore off. OF COURSE I do love the race too, it is beautiful, challenging, and the competition is nothing shy of intense. I'm pretty sure this one will stick on the race schedule for MANY years...


This will be my 3rd time racing this event. Year one-flatted out and ended up in a cop car, year 2, rode right off course chasing the lead motorcyclist, year 3... I will let you know Sunday (or Monday)...


Till then, sending hugs from beautiful Vancouver.
.

15 comments:

Martin said...

Glad you made it to BC safely! Good luck at the race! Go Bree!!

D said...

You're here! And we have beautiful weather to welcome you. Not sure about Sunday, but I'm just going to pretend that the forecast is something different.
YAY!

Go Gammie said...

Glad you made the trip OK Bree!! Sounds like a long flight, but we are glad to have you and your team racing here in Canada. I think they changed the bike course just for you this year. Have a great race, see you there!!

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Be safe and have a GREAT race! Happy to hear you landed and have arrived! YEA!!

bart said...

go get 'em tiger!!

IronBob said...

Have fun with it!!

Yasi said...

Best of luck to you! The views there sound impeccable, get some good shots for us!

Julia said...

I'm glad you had some animated company to help you deal with the delay!
And the third time is the charm. I know you are going to rock the socks off this race! Best of luck! :)

Jill Costantino said...

Race hard and enjoy!

runninggunner said...

Good luck Bree!!! Looking forward to seeing you on course.

Oscarjet said...

Solo quiero saludarte ! abrazos abrazos abrazos !!!!!

Regina said...

sounds like you had some fun en route with "the boys". Good luck!

btw, balls are awesome! will email you about them!

ADC said...

Have fun Bree!!!!

Coach Liz said...

BREE!!! Congratulations on your podium finish!!!

Such exciting adventures getting there and then to crack out a 4:23:12!!! No sitting in the back of a cop car this year!

I cannot wait to hear all about it after you get some sleep.

Maggs said...

Congrats on a great race! I still wish you were going to be in Lake Placid.