Thursday, July 16, 2009

Tour De Lance Starts With Salmon...

Today was our biggest day of the camp, it started at 7:45am and we were out of the ice-fun at 5:30pm. Before I get to the fun "Tour De Lance" I better back up on how we properly fueled for this adventure...

Yesterday was a ride of "down hill repeats" with Downhill Dan. Of course we first had to ride up the hills, but it was the down hill we were focusing on... things like not breaking, taking corners, riding in the bars, that sort of stuff that gets a little scary when you hit speeds I sometimes don't even reach in my car... I thought for sure I would end up in the ditch...thankfully I didn't fall until today (more on that later).

After the ride was a swim in Durance Lake. The main set was 300 meter repeats. I PROMISE I was trying, it was just slow & ugly. In fact it was so ugly Coach Paul had me go swim on my own. That made me miss Kona, my swim team, and the ocean more than anything. I just pretended I was back in my ocean and tried to swim the way I know how, the way I do in the salty sea with big fish, dolphins, and sharks.

After that was a run on our own. I ran through a beautiful trail with trees surrounding me on both sides, the air was so crisp and running felt so peaceful (despite the fact I could not feel my legs).

So that was yesterdays fun...or suffering...whatever you prefer to call it...

Knowing today was going to be the longest day of camp Bruce and Marsha hosted an amazing ocean front salmon and halibut dinner last night. It was so perfect spending an evening with our great team in clean-unsweaty-stinky clothes. Their home sits across from Mt. Baker and is truly a surreal view. Good food, good people, then a good game of croquet. Half the team played, the other half of us just cheered for the little French girl who thankfully rides better than she can play croquet.

TODAY! Today was the best training day of my life... it hurt so good! It started off with a 5,400 meter swim where I for ONCE in Canada swam better the second half than the first half! After that everything hurt and we were all so hungry... BUT a LONG ride was waiting... so it was eat and shower (yes, gross, but that's the life of a pro-for today anyways).

12 of us took off on what soon became my new favorite long ride. My apologies for having no clue in the world where we were all day long. All I know is after riding on the Galloping Goose, through a little town, and over a big hill we ended up at the beach! It was SO BEAUTIFUL it took my breath away! Way across the Pacific Ocean were snow covered mountains. The sky was shades of blue that reminded me of my ocean back home, and the air was so pure. From there we all broke off into mini-groups. My mini-group became Magali and Coach Lance...before long it was "Tour De Lance"...

The ride was non stop hills climbing and descending. It felt like a roller coaster on the bikes. Some hills were easy rollers, others were get-out-of-the-saddle and climb then put on a seat belt while we fly down! There comes a point in most rides, at least the ones that hit 100 miles, where sometimes focusing gets clumsy-that never happened today. There was so much to see and hear and feel, it was incredible! So incredible the ride soon became "Tour De Lance".

All tour long lance kept saying he wants Mags and I to ride his favorite hill. After nearly 500 hills we get to a hill that starts with an "F". It's really not too bad till this one tiny part where standing is a good thing, that is if you don't stand with ALL your weight over your rear wheel! Coach ALWAYS warns me to get my @$$ up and my head over my bars down low when I climb really steep hills and today I found out why! About mid way up I looked down and saw my front wheel off the ground and I was falling backwards! I have never screamed more like a girl in all my life. I pretty much ate you-know-what! I have never been so happy to have on a helmet and gloves! Mags captured the moment I was trying to even get my feet out of the pedals... I know, I am a kook for falling up a hill! By the way, the foto does not show it, but that "F" hill I promise is steep!
With an hour to go all we could think about was a run off the bike. We refueled in 18 seconds flat and it was time to roll again...

The run was around Elk/Beaver Lake and despite the fact I was pretty darn hungry, sore, and ready to sit (but not pedal), I enjoyed this run more than any other run off the bike. It felt so good to be running and actually covering ground after that massive swim/bike session. Maybe it's all the new views that are keeping me moving along, maybe the incredible training partners, or maybe I just really love my job! Probably a lot of all 3.

No SUPER long day would be complete without some icing! After that... dinner with Bruce and Marsha, and now I am calling it a day! Good night and thanks for reading!!




.

14 comments:

Samantha said...

sorry I wouldn't take the shower pic for you. It was what was to the right that made me feel a bit awkward about that. hahahaha.

The snow capped mountains are in the US by the way. How neat is that! I think I'm riding up one with Hillerie and some people on Saturday. woo fun.

Kiet said...

Hey Bree, your buddy Jason Lester won the ESPY Award in a shocking upset, must be your lobbying for him!

ADC said...

Lots of fun Bree. Well done on a great training day. Yet again, great pics.

Oscarjet said...

No tengo palabras....que bonitas todas tus fotos y todo lo que tu haces .....

Chloe said...

Awesome post! And that dinner sounds amazing!

Jennifer Cunnane said...

Great training! All those hills and torture are paying off....I have no idea how you do it, but it WILL pay off. And, oh my the VIEWs! Incredible! The summers must make up for the snowy winters!

CoachLiz said...

Oh My Gosh!!! I cannot even fathom falling off the bike backwards. That hill must have been wicked steep. It sounds like you are getting quality workouts in.

Marni said...

What a long day. Beats sitting in an office all day!!
Love the pics :) Glad you are enjoying the healthy food...and you don't even have to cook! What a life..
-marn

Jill Costantino said...

Soooo beautiful, your previouse post about how beautiful Vancouver is inspired me to do my long run around Stanley Park the other day and it reminded me of WHY I LOVE it HERE so much! Awesome job on the swim with making your 2nd half stronger - woohoo! About the fall on the bike,...I fell over on a sidewalk going almost 0 km perhr, so don't feel so bad. Your's at least looks and sounds waaay cooler than my fall.
Happy Training Camp!
Hugs!

Go Gammie said...

Training camp in Victoria could be renamed,, "Salmon Camp" after all of the great salmon that you have had. Glad you were not injured in your bike crash,,, is that kind of like falling over on Kaloko?? Good thing for helmets alright, even at slow speed. Enjoy your last few days!!

Terrish B said...

I LOVE the Purple shirt you were wearing in one of the pictures (really cute on you) I am happy that you are having a blast! It sounds like a dream to me... have a blast and thanks for sharing the pictures and stories!

Cy said...

You're a machine Bree. Sounds like an amazing camp so far. Thanks for sharing.

Sherry said...

Oh wow! Camp looks increadible... fun and super challenging. Those hills make this 'flatlanders' head spin!!!

Silvi said...

Whoooo, that hill looks like you should ride it with a mountainbike! Thats how I use to feel in any training ride on the mountainbike! Worst thing ist to stop and try to get back on the bike into the cleats...
Love it!