Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Views From My Run...



The run was perfect! I had the road to myself, the ocean to keep me company, and the Kona sun reminding me to relax. A man in a tree was the only one with a better view... I love the runs that you want to keep on going, the ones when you finish you don't even remember what your thoughts were because you were somewhere else the whole time. Another perfect day at the office.

When I got home a huge melon was staring at me, perhaps the only fruit I will never buy. It's been sitting in my fridge since my Florida family was here (I think every fridge in FL has some kind of melon in it at all times). I tried to give it to my sister, but they left one in her fridge too. I cut it up for Kainoa to eat, he wouldn't. The only thing I knew to do was juice it. Almost everything I have ever juiced tasted good. Melon + lemon = better. Finally that fruit is out of my sight.

In case you like melons or don't, here is what they have to offer (1 cup):
*Low in Saturated Fat and Sodium, and very low in Cholesterol.
*Good source of Dietary Fiber, Niacin, Vitamin B6 and Folate
*Good source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C and Potassium.
*60 calories

On a sweeter note... last night Kainoa and I spent 5hrs trying to make cupcakes for his class to celebrate his birthday. He got a sugar high and I was bonking. The cupcakes took as long as my run/swim/bike to make and we were improperly fueled. It took us 3 grocery stores to figure out the full fat, loaded with sugar, bad for you treats. All the other parents bring in the "good stuff" and he wanted to for his birthday. I was tempted to whip up one of my raw food cakes but after having to wear the purple pants I couldn't do that to him...

This time 3 years ago I was in the hospital waiting for Kainoa to arrive... tomorrow morning will be his BIG day! For now, it's off to swim practice!

.

21 comments:

LeAnn said...

Happy Birthday Kainoa!!! Give Aunty your cupcakes.....

Julia said...

awww happy birthday Kainoa! He looks so cute all bundled up.... my has he grown! I bet you are one proud mama :)
Your run is beautiful. Do you run with a camera?

MJ said...

Happy Birthday Kainoa!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Happy Birthday Kainoa!

Great pics Bree - love those cupcakes too! Super duper colorful and tasty looking. Yum!

D said...

Well now that you know how to make the good ones, you can make me some when I'm in Kona. Remember, it's my birthday week that week! :D

Happy Birthday!!! (to both of you!)

ADC said...

Happy birthday Kainoa.

CoachLiz said...

Happy Birthday Kainoa!!!

I'm with you on the melon. I had one sitting on my counter looking at me until I had to toss it because it started rotting on the bottom. My husband bought it and no one ever cut it up. It's o.k., but I would rather have berries.

The cupcakes look great!

Bruce Stewart (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

In a couple of days it will be 22 years since I nervously waited in the hospital for our elder son to be born. The time will go very fast and he will be a big guy in no time.
Enjoy your running.

Nibbles said...

Happy birthday to Kainoa! I'm with you---melon is gross. Ugh. It even smells bad.

Amanda said...

Beautiful run! and a beautiful boy you've got! Happy Birthday Kainoa!

Yasi said...

Happy Birthday Kainoa! He was a beautiful infant (still is just as precious). Love your run views!

Laura said...

Happy Birthday Kainoa!

Marni said...

Yum cupcakes!!! Happy birthday to your little one! Love the pics...as usual.

t-odd said...

Happy Birthday, K-Man! Good work, Mom! You have to give the three year old cupcakes. There will be enough time for healthy eating later. I like your run views better than mine - lucky!

Go Gammie said...

Happy Birthday to Kainoa :) I am sure all of the cupcakes are gone by now!!!

Have a fun swim at the Hapuna Roughwater. Great practice for the Vancouver 1/2 IM. Not that you need the practice, I think I am the one needing the practice!!!

Roo said...

Beautiful pics! Happy birthday Kainoa!

Ange said...

Happy birthday Kainoa!! Such a beautiful baby boy..!
cupcakes do look yummy I must say..even if they are bad for you.
Do you run with a camera?

Melissa said...

ummm, those cupcakes look yummy. Happy birthday Kainoa!

Melons are icky. I agree.

Regina said...

Happy Birthday Kainoa!

I'll take a side of cupcake with my melon please. Love the melon.

Mel said...

Good job on the cup cakes...your gooooodddd..I always go out and BUY them for the class parties..haha..A LOT EASIER =)....here is a cute idea for you and easy...bake them in icecream cones...super cute too!!!

t-odd said...

You like SPAM, seaweed and rice, right? Here it is in one tasty package - http://thisiswhyyourefat.com/post/124025602/spam-musubi-rice-seaweed-and-spam-submitted