Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Views From The Top...

Kaloko called and I said, "YES". Today was my HILL day. It was supposed to be Hawi, but I do that every week, so when Kaloko came up there is no way on EARTH this momma could say no. It's like biking in a rain forrest, it's like doing squats under canopy's of beautiful trees, it's like climbing the side of a builiding... besides, 2 weeks ago was the local Kaloko Pedal Till Ya Puke bike race and I missed it during the Canada training camp-I had to tackle it now. AND a hill is hill right, not really, Hawi would be sunny and windy, like a bikini ride, Kaloko is gorgeous and painful, like the men at the gym lifting big weights with their thighs of steel!
Pre ride we got the town news from Papa Pea (it's like reading the local news paper when you talk to anyone in the pool lot). Then we got the scoop on love. From there we were all smiles and just ready to get on with it already!! We had a hill to ride!
Half way up Hina Lani, still tip-top shape! It's right about here that I was so happy to be on the road bike, I need to ride this thing more often! I'm thinking a bike race in my future sounds good right about this mile...SEA TO STARS anyone???????
Up, up, up, and away, Dave is wondering how we talked him into riding with the girls...
Still smiling, almost to Mamalahoa!!
Let the 6.5 miles of UP begin!!

Here is where the fotos took about an hour break. I needed both hands on the bike. This ride never gets boring, it's always a new challenge or a new adventure. Today I pretended to be riding with Lance Armstrong (he of course, would be taking it easy on me). He was out here practicing on this very climb prior to his Tour De France trip... he said it hurt...then he broke our course record...
Once to the top it was all smiles and a lot of shaking the fists in the air like a champ. The excitement of reaching the top on this climb never gets old. About the time I needed something to get down the hill (like a ride), a dog came out, that was enough to get me going! I took the down hill with caution and had LOTS of time at my snail pace to take dozens of fotos...

From the bike to the run. It is VERY hot in Kona right now, summer is here and the heater is on! To keep with the hill theme it was Palani loops, gotta love a hill after a hill. From there it was ART to undo the damage I do weekly. Now it is sit till swim practice. Yesterdays swim was so painful from all the pull up practice and work with Dennis that I am hoping today is better or I just go numb as soon as the water touches me...
Enjoy the views from the top!!
.



13 comments:

Jennifer Cunnane said...

Love the pictures Bree! Not sure how you can tackle hills like that + HEAT = ouch! Great training...

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Your enthusiasm is so uplifting! Sounds like the perfect day.

ADC said...

You live in a paradise Bree :))

Marni said...

Love the pics as usual! Your last blog is great. Hope the little one is enjoying his smoothies ;)
-marn

IronBob said...

Looks like fun.
You know, talking about Lance, I always thought WTC should pay Lance around $1M to come do the World championships this October. Since he has done a marathon under 3 hrs and was a previous triathlete, what a promotion and boon for the sport if that could be pulled off. He probably would come in top 5 also.

Christi said...

Great blog as usual Bree, thanks!

D said...

I'm gonna e-mail ya cuz putting stuff here is dumb, but I'll say this... you're HAWT! ;)

Regina said...

My husband is looking over my shoulder asking, "Where is that?" "Hawaii", I told him. "Damn, that looks good, we should move there."....From his lips to God's ears.

Sherry said...

LOL... there's a whole lot of smiling for such a tough climb. Gotta love the positive vibe from beginning to end!

The 'Slow Down' sign... gotta love it! ;p

Beautiful photos, as always.

Go Gammie said...

There is something about the name Kaloko. I wonder if it has something to do with respect or fear. You fear it going both up and down!! Way to conquer it again Bree, it is a tough climb, one that is never forgotten once a person has done it. Keep up the awesome training.

Sorry to see Kainoa had a spill, hope he is recovering OK.

ShirleyPerly said...

I missed that Pedal Til Ya Puke/Run Til Ya Ralph event too. I've driven that road to know how steep it is, though.

Good job getting up that hill!!

Julia said...

Such pretty photos! I can't even imagine 6.5 miles of uphill... in the heat... way to tackle that adventure! I sometimes pretend I AM Lance when I ride, haha!

Train-This said...

Sweet fotos Bree! I totally wished you'd be in Plaicd (I know, I was just hoping you'd appear, I even brought the SUN!)

You can definitley borrow my swim helmet for the rest of the races. Don't be shy about asking. I will tell no one.

:-) Mary