Monday, August 10, 2009

24 Miles Later...

Monday, time to get that long run done. After swim practice I told Kainoa it's time to go to school, he came out dressed like this (see above), and told me he wants to do my run with me. I had to laugh, he was in my most favorite blue K-Swiss shoes, blasting Ho'okoa on the IPOD, and wearing crazy colored shorts like his mom runs in...

If only he knew. I'm pretty sure he would prefer to be playing with crayons and eating cheerios than running with me...

THE LONG RUN. I was ready. It was to be 3hrs, start easy, build if I can, the last half hour I can play the IPOD loud and run like I stole something. I've never done a 3hr run other than in a race but I was excited for it! Started out easy, began to build, and all of a sudden I didn't want it to end. I was having so much fun thinking about the fact I was going to run for 3hrs on a Monday. On such a long run you have all sorts of time to think, to solve some stuff that swirls in your head, to clear your head, to laugh, to cry, to just go through so many thoughts. I'm pretty sure this is the best medicine.

I just kept thinking about yesterday, that whole day spent laughing with Kainoa at the beach! I REALLY love the beach. Then I started to get Ironman thoughts. I thought of my first time racing Kona. It was at the Makala intersection, something like mile 24.5 and I was ready to stop-drop-and sleep. I just wanted to be done, there was nothing left in the tank. Then I heard this screaming and shouting, it was Lauren, who took me on my first ever bike ride, and Kawika who took me running when I moved to Kona. They were both there, they had been there all Ironman day long watching and waiting for me. They saw the look on my face, it was empty, there was nothing left, and they just yelled more, louder, and told me to finish the thing.

Then I remember my friend Sam. He told me the day before the Kona 07 to do him one favor, not to come past Hualalai too soon. He was working that day and was going to come out on Queen K to watch me pass by on the bike. He said I have to pace... The exact moment I was thinking of that day Sam caught up to me on the bike! Perfect timing! He rode next to me for 2 miles of this LONG run and we just laughed about nothing and everything...

The whole run was filled with memories of the first time I tried to run to the beach in Kona and had to stop, I couldn't even run 2 miles without stopping! I thought of my first biathlon and taking 5 minutes to tie laces and put on a sports bra over my bikini top! I thought of my first triathlon with Jen N. and being so scared I literally swam and rode next to her all day because I didn't know what to do or where to go...

From all those first time moments to now running for 3hrs...what a long way to go...what a journey...and what incredible opportunities I've had and people I've met along the way. With that, it was now 30 minutes left in the run and time to move it if I have it. I totally had it. Those memories had me so happy I just took off running. I looked at the HR, it was out of control, everything was out of control, but in a good way. I got to the 24 mile mark and still had 4 minutes to go...

Part of me thought to just jog easy for 4 minutes, part of me said to run 2.2 more miles so I can say I ran a marathon on Monday, and part of me thought 24 really enjoyable miles were good enough and they were. 24 miles, 2:56 on Monday... my longest long run on a training day...

I think I will continue to keep this balance I have going on...play hard & work hard, I like it! Speaking of playing hard... look what I found in the drawer when I was tucking away that free hotel stay I won from Sea to Stars over the weekend:
I found a free night at the Hilton I won from Lavaman 08 AND I NEVER USED IT AND NOW IT IS EXPIRED! That said, I have to play harder in 09 than I did in 08 and actually use the free stays before they expire. I think this weekend I'll check myself in! ha ha ha ha ha...

Get a hotel! ha ha ha, now I got myself laughing!
Good Night!!
.

18 comments:

ADC said...

Great run Bree!!! Kainoa has grown so much by the way.

Marni said...

What a great run! It's nice to read about the steps you take to reach your training goals...much like the average age-group athlete...but much, much faster :)
I think I have a few expired gift cards around the house. Maybe I should check those out!
-marn

Train-This said...

oh my GAWD! Kaiona is not a BABY anymore, he's a BOY! How did that happen?

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Check with the hotel, maybe they will let you in. You could use it as a mini vacation in the next few weeks.

In terms of the running, great to be doing the distance and on the course! Nothing like the psycological advantage.

The big plus this time: Zero in on the nutrition and you are home free.

Slow Rider said...

great run but even better a great day to rest and ride out that storm. Be safe felicia looks ugly

Julia said...

I loved reading this post, and about all your memories. Its so funny how many thoughts can swirl in and out of your head while you're pounding pavement. Congrats on your longest training run, and keeping it a fun 24 miles!
I loved the pic of Kainoa in your shoes; so cute!

IAN said...

I like this. And Kainoa's fashion sense is spot on. I am going to get some tips from him come October.

Ange said...

Kainoa really looks like you!!! He is growing up! these little boys...we need to slow things down don't we!
Sounds like an amazing run. Great job Bree.
Hey..quick question. I am coming to Kona and want to know where to ship my bike..what shop? I need someone to build it back up for me. Any suggestions?
thanks!!

Ange said...

Bree....
my email is angelab@megalink.net
Thanks!
Ange

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Ah, to have that feeling after so very many miles. You are truly an inspiration!!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

I hate to see free stuff go to waste. On the hotel, go to Hilton and let them know you have a blog following of around a gadzillon readers and will give the hotel a thumbs up on your blog if they let you in. Tell them for a free dinner for you and Kainoa you'll post their logo, and one of your followers (me) is a Diamond member and will really be impressed and stay more with them more often.

Sherry said...

Lovely post!

Oh, I just love how thoughts swirl in and out of a one's head during a long run! They are absolutely the BEST! I'd take a long run over a long swim or a long bike any day! :o)

Way to go on a FANTASTIC run!!!

tribabe said...

Bree, what I really like about you is that you have the opportunity to have a beautiful life and you seize it! It's really wonderful to witness, thanks for sharing.

CoachLiz said...

My son has that same "I do all my own stunts" shirt as well, ha ha!

Great 3 hour run! I am now glad to know that there are other coaches out there that give three hour run workouts. I thought mine was the only one!. However, I cannot say that I have ever gone as far as you have in those 3 hours.

Don't feel bad about the hotel stay expiring. I had a hotel stay for 3 nights at the Omni in Cancun expire on me. Play hard chica!

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

If Kainoa wants to run with you instead of going to school then let him. School doesn't necessarily mean he will be more successful or smarter. Our boys never went to no school after the age of 13 or 14, but they are both going to start university this year.

The Three Coconuts said...

Loved this and your calling in sick day. You'll never regret that... and you have so much to look forward to. Today my bike ride was repeatedly interrupted texting with my daughter... and I loved it. My marathon training was done while she rode a trail bike beside me with food and fluids and lots of talking. Motherhood is the the bomb!

The Three Coconuts said...

Loved this and your calling in sick day. You'll never regret that... and you have so much to look forward to. Today my bike ride was repeatedly interrupted texting with my daughter... and I loved it. My marathon training was done while she rode a trail bike beside me with food and fluids and lots of talking. Motherhood is the the bomb!

The Three Coconuts said...

Loved this and your calling in sick day. You'll never regret that... and you have so much to look forward to. Today my bike ride was repeatedly interrupted texting with my daughter... and I loved it. My marathon training was done while she rode a trail bike beside me with food and fluids and lots of talking. Motherhood is the the bomb!