Wednesday, August 5, 2009

For The Love of Spam Musubi's!!!

Today was one of those absolutely perfect days. The kind that just effortlessly roll into perfection, as if things could not get any better. Needless to say, pinching myself a few times has me convinced it's not some tropical island paradise dream, I lived it outloud! All week long I have been thinking about Wednesday. It was going to be my very long day...

By Monday it was organized, as in the bottles were filled and the fuel was packed! I recruited Kate-O to keep me company for the first 2hrs, I let my friend Glen in Kohala know I would be in his neck of the woods and to keep an eye out for the crazy girl planning to ride 6.5 hours (just in case I need a ride back to Kona), I let the manager (Travis) know because he always prays for these kind of days to go well for me, and I let my friend Puna know because it's good to have a body guard!
Kissed Kainoa goodbye, dropped him to school, and off for some fun, (I mean work), I go! The skies were gorgeous blue, the roads were almost empty, and the wind and heat were fully blasting. The first 2 hrs of this day had to be base pace, so us girls just girl talked, laughed, and spit (actually it was just Kate spitting, into the wind, which then flew over to me!) Per coaches orders the HR was sub 140, the time of day was officially during HOT hours, and we were rolling...


Our so-far-so-good day got a little bit more fun, see above (no details, sorry, had to be there), and even more fun (see below). The one and only flat of the day, exactly at the 2hr mark. Of course I didn't just leave Kate-O to fix her flat solo, it takes a couple girls to change a flat, right!
Now it was time to work! I had a 60 minute piece that needed my attention. IPOD on...go! Of course this piece was all the climbing up to Hawi and beyond. About 2 miles of severe crosswind later Fergi's "Big Girls" song came on and I was singing OUT LOUD at the VERY top of my lungs... "And I'm gonna miss you like a child needs a blanket but I've got to get a move on with my life...". It was hilarious, I was laughing at myself! Trucks passing could hear me and did little honks, I was absolutely LOVING this ride, this moment, this life!!

As the music and I jammed along my phone beeped (I carry it now in case Kainoa is ever in an accident again and I need to get there), it was a text from Glen saying, "Go Bree, you can do this". Of course I didn't respond, I just smiled and went faster... a little later it beeped again, it was Travis the managers text saying, "Own it and some more", so I went harder and smiled bigger! I could not believe the friends I have, UNREAL, it felt like I was in a race and they were on the course cheering me on!
Sped right on through the Ironman turn around and finished the piece just in time to refill the bottles and find Heather G. doing the same. She was wondering if the wind was normally like this or if this was a particularly windy day. It was normal I reassured her, and we were off!
It was now time for the 45 minute piece. A little faster, a little more effort, 1...2...3...GO! Kate-O sent a text saying stuff I will not post on a rated G blog, but it got me moving along, then Puna sent something that fired me up, then Glen again guessing I must be done now (those Hawaiian non-triathlete boys have NO clue how long a LONG ride is)... again I was feeling so blessed by all the support along the way, this was my longest long ride ever solo but it felt like I was in the company of so many friends!
As soon as I dug myself out of the Kwaihae climb it was time to start the final piece. This one was a 30 minute section where I had to push into my higher zones and race me, myself, and I. (note, photos are from the recovery sections! ha ha ha). I was ready...
This piece hurt so bad, then I discovered the fuel was just about GONE! How could I make that mistake!? It took me almost 10 bottles for 6.5 hrs! Today was VERY hot!!!! I just wanted to finish my final effort section strong, I would think about fuel after (but I had to think about it because I still had recovery cool down to go, then the run, then a swim)...
Mile 108 I was saved by my own personal aid station on the side of Kua Bay (the finish of my 30 min. section of effort)! My friend Puna saved me from messing up the end of this ride and my run!! PERFECT TIMING!! From there I had roughly 12 miles to go and everytime the temptation to float along came a friend continued to be there. Dave met me with 9 miles to go, gave me the "Go get em Bree", then with 5 miles to go I played my answering machine on the phone (I have a message saved of Kainoa saying, "I love you mom"), I listened to that and it got me back to my truck and into run shoes ready to spit out the rest of this LONG day!!From the ride to the run, just a 45 minute little skip around the town on 2 legs (because I didn't really work them yet!). From there it was masters swim. I did my best to keep up with Andy (our lane leader), he schooled me! In fact, by the time the main set came the whole lane schooled me and I was now last...shoots, I'm still calling it a good swim!
To top off this miraculous Wednesday adventure you'd think I would reach for something sweet, but that is just not my style, I GO BAD, very BAD, I'm talking spam musubi (plug your ears coach)....
Tomorrow is another fiesty day, but it will end with a massage so I'm already calling it GOOD!
Happy Training!!!
.

18 comments:

Train-This said...

What on god's green earth is spam musabiwhatever? I can't even tell, this is a treat? I might have to come there and personally examine your head.

LOL

Mary

Sherry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sherry said...

LOL! I caught the 'spam musabi' bit during your interview with Tri Cafe. SPAM! Holy, moly! In that photo though, it doesn't actually look all that bad. :o)

WAY TO KILL that workout, Bree! Woo-hoo!!! Awesome, awesome stuff! The 2nd half of your season is going to be just AWESOME! Watch out race results! Bree's on fire!

PS- I've gotta shoot you a 'nutrition related' e-mail. Need some 'salty sweater' advice. :o)

Slow Rider said...

I am with Sherry, youmust have spam on the brain to eat those. Ok I get the spirulina, but spam. yuk

Mean workout, tell me you plan an easy day today?

Christi said...

What an awesome workout!!! Those pictures!! The blues in them are incredible. I am going to try and channel some of your positivity because I really need it! You are a true inspiration!!! Thanks!!!!!!

D said...

If you force me to eat spam musubi when I`m there, I`m forcing you to eat cake! That doesn`t really feel like a fair trade though...

Julia said...

Great job on the ride Bree! I loved reading this post, it was just so positive and happy :)
I JUST got introduced to Huli Huli chicken; love it! Can't wait to go to HI and taste the real thing! :) Though I will probably have to pass on the spam.... I saw on TV they also have spam cake. Hmmm.....

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Things look like they are starting to gel. Great timing to start peaking. I hope the Cerasport is working out for you..

IAN said...

Nice work. I wish I had a fan/support club like yours. It might just make this weekend a little more manageable. 6.5 solo hrs. You know your head is strong after that!

CoachLiz said...

You are so lucky to have such a great support team to keep you going through those long and hard workouts.

Regina said...

Thanks for the Island tour! Listened to your interview yesterday, very entertaining. They did ask some pretty good questions.

I was eyeing those rolls in the last pic until I realized they were those SPAM thingys you like....Honestly...

I know SPAM is a truncated version of spiced ham, but I had this boyfriend in college who said it stood for Sporadic Pig Ass Meat. I don't know why I still remember that...

But then again, I like bologna....

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Awesome day Bree!!! You are so amazing.

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

It was great to relive those past experiences of going up to Hawi and back on the bike. Harry always liked to eat the Spam Musubi's but while I enjoyed them, on a tiring and thirsty bike ride, sometimes I preferred something a little easier to swallow. I did actually carry some home-made ones with me during the Ironman race itself.
You must be getting excited now. Only 9 weeks or so to go until the big day. Go get'em, Bree!

Yasi said...

What a perfect day! It seems like all your days there are perfect though..you're so lucky to be surrounded by such positive and encouraging friends, such great energy!

I did crossfit and it was awesomely hard! It was such a great workout even though I had to poop out on some of it. I, like you, found out that I can no longer do a pull-up! What the heck?!?! That's my new goal!

bart said...

gee - you go bad after a big workout also??
In fact I have to thank you. I followed the race-nutrition advise you posted quite a while ago, and have been able to qualify for the IM70.3 Worlds in Clearwater thanks to them!

Hope I will see you there!
cheers! Bart

Mama Simmons said...

I sing outloud while riding/running and listening to my iPod too! Too fun.

Great training!

Go Gammie said...

Way to go on your ride Bree!!! Wow,, 10 bottles, that must be a record amount of fluid. Have a great weekend!!

monicakvas said...

Wow! What an awesome training day! I just listened to your coffee shop interview, really great! Thanks for sharing so much. It's really inspiring!