Friday, August 14, 2009

Free Diving...

This morning I heard a few of my most favorite words, "Pool is closed, pump broke, toilet water (or something like that), made the water dirty, practice is MOVED TO THE OCEAN!!" This girl could not have been more happy in that moment! About 30 of us from Kona Aquatics made the 1/4 mile trip from pool to sea...and believe me, it was a much better view than lane lines! Incredible, 2 swim practices in a row became ocean swims!

Today I really wanted to work, to focus, to swim fast. Philippines is right around the corner, no play time. The team made it to the 1.2 mile buoy, from there a couple of us would venture to the Ironman Buoy. Andy set the pace, it was so fast that I was happy to be in a one piece, for sure at his speed this morning a bikini would have wound up around my ankles! There was no picture time, no check out the fish time, just hold onto his feet...and I did...but I saw the bike! Without fail, that bike ALWAYS finds me! It is right near the IM turn, it sparkles and shines, just glows when I am in the area. I think it's my lucky charm or something...
.
I made the swim, then went back for it. Found Pablo and told him to look at my beautiful bike (he never saw it in real life and until today thought I only joke about it). Andy was now on his way to Maui, swimming so far out to sea he just missed this amazing bike vista!
The most amazing thing happened (other than being able to keep up with Andy), today all the practice on free diving with Monroe is starting to pay off! Today I could hold my breath long enough, pop my ears good enough, and sink down far enough that I could touch my bike! It was amazing! To see it every trip to the IM buoy but never able to reach it and today I got to!!! I might never wash this hand again! Just click on that foto above to see that incredible piece of white, rusty bike up close...
Do you see it way down there?? I'm really falling in love with this free diving thing, it's making me feel more like a mermaid all the time! In fact, I have a new goal, I want to make a 50-75ft free dive before the year is over! Did you hear that Monroe, take me for more practice!!

Another good day in the ocean! Ahhhhhh...like a little piece of heaven to be under the sea! I think the pool should be closed more often...
Above is the search & rescue squad for Andy! We never found him, Kevin tried to make me swim all the way back out there to look for him, I reassured them Andy is the worst sighter on the island, he most likely swam a few miles in the wrong direction...and he did...he sent me a message later this morning that he ended up on Maui!
.
Hope everyone has a GREAT weekend, swim deep!!!
Bree
.



11 comments:

Damie said...

That first picture with you and the turtle sure is beautiful! What a great morning!

Marni said...

I guess you know your next sport...free diving!!!Love the turtle pics..i just LOVE turtles :)
Keep enjoying the swim sessions!
-marn

Yasi said...

You have the most amazing photographs ever! You'll definitely be able to free dive that far in no time!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

When you retire from triathlon I think there is a job waiting for you in pearl diving...

Nottage Family said...

I love this post!! I think you are finding something that is active meditation; active rest; PEACE........everyone needs it.......and that bike aside from being a fun story is also teaching you something; when our minds and hearts are open we see there are often reasons for all the things we come upon........I don't know if Andy has me beat; I am a severely challenged sighter as well.......and i mean severe!! I will remember to make certain if he's swimming down there and I have the fitness to swim in his group that there's a decent sighter amongst us!! XO Team Nottage

Regina said...

Way cool....

Missy said...

No one wants a poopy pool! Killer pix, as always. Now you can't dive down and grab the bike and try to refirb it or something. You must leave it there;)

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Bree, your joy and enthusiasm just jumps off the page...love it!

Amanda said...

Always love your underwater pics...and the ones with your beaming smile!

Heidi Austin said...

Jealous! I'm convincing my hubby that his next pilot job HAS TO BE IN HAWAII!!! Again awesome pics as usual Bree :)

Adrienne said...

how far is it from the Big Island to Maui swimming? That is crazy and awesome!