Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Got Shoes? Shirts?

Okay, I'll tell you something really close to my heart... views like the photo above. It just breaks me into pieces. Children in this shape and worse crush me even more. Back in college I spent a lot of time on mission trips. I really wanted to be a missionary just helping build schools and homes, feeding the hungry and showing them how to grow gardens. My main job was teaching, mostly Math and Reading. Every trip I would call home and tell my mom I'm not coming back to the states, that I want to stay and help...but I always went home...

My last trip to Honduras, when we left the children begged for everything, even my used toothbrush. I left it, that and my underwear, everything but the clothes I wore home on the plane. Those experiences have taught me to embrace each day of my life and all the things in it. I never had it that bad, but I know hard times. It hasn't always been tropical island paradise for me. The first time was when my dad left us, then the time I had to live in my aunts garage with my mom and grandma after we lost our home, and once here in Hawaii, but we were lucky, we got to stay in a hotel till we got back on our feet.

Anyways, those days are always close to my heart reminding me to give when I can, share when I can, and open my home when I can. As coach tells me weekly, they have also taught me to be cheap, it drives him crazy when I won't spend money for my job. Like last week I felt a twinge in my right leg from running in "older" shoes. I had no reason to run in bad shoes, my sponsor just sent me 8 new pairs, in fact I have more shoes each month than I have in all my life before getting sponsored. My manager finally convinced me to open a box of the 8 new pairs and toss out the "older" ones.

Okay, enough with the sobby stories, that's not my point... the reason for this post is because if you live on Big Island we have a little opportunity to help!! This Sunday is the local biathlon in honor of the beautiful Sunny Haspe (Brown Bear's wife), who lost her battle to cancer this year. Soooooooo...to keep the gift of giving, and life going everyone that has shoes BRING THEM! They can be a little worn out, or super used and discusting (those are turning into rubber for the play ground). This week till Sunday drop them off at The Club In Kona. They are taking ALL shoes, any you can find in any shape or size or stinky smell!! ALSO, bring your shirts! You know those race t-shirts that you stuff in your drawer because they are always too big or something, well, they are collecting those too. Volunteer shirts, finisher shirts, race shirts! Then on Sunday they are going to be given out to those in need around our island.

Kainoa helped me pull out all my shoes and shirts and it feels sooooooooo good to give! Sunday, come out and race (or watch or volunteer) for the biathlon. It's in memory of a beautiful giver (Sunny Haspe) and it's a chance for us to keep giving as she would do!

Sunday at 8am, Kona pier, see ya then! Swim, run, or make a relay!!
.

20 comments:

Erin said...

what a great idea. I always have old shoes lying around. If I lived in Kona I would definitely bring some shoes to you; however, I don't see myself leaving Canada anytime soon.

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

You are a kind soul. Dont loose that spirit...

Our neighbor runs Metropolitan Ministries here in Tampa and the family is volunteering on Saturday in putting together backpacks for needy school kids

Kelly said...

Bree, I am inspired by your giving spirit. Please keep doing what you are doing!!

For those of you who aren't in Kona, check out Shoes for Souls...http://www.shoesfororphansouls.org/dropoff.shtml You can ship in your old shoes, or drop them off in one of their locations.

Christy said...

Some athletic stores (especially kid's stores) take used shoes and donate to shelters. Ask the charity to be sure. Great post, Bree!

Kim said...

I would love to send all my shoes over but I don't think they will make it by Sunday??! If you know anywhere else that will take them, let me know. I usually drop them at goodwill but I really think kids in other countries need them more. If anyone has a good website my Mom and I are always looking to do this (She is a fanatic about recycling/reusing/re-giving). Thanks & Great job Bree..way to get everyone fired up about such an important issue!

The Three Coconuts said...

It's all good karma, and it will come back to you.

Marni said...

I love giving away my shoes. what a great idea to give away old race shirts. Great post!
-marn

Samantha said...

sounds awesome Bree! I've always donated my old running shoes. The running store I went to where I grew up had a drop off to take them to the homeless.

Oscarjet said...

Muy bien Bree !!
me gusta mucho todo lo que escribes...! abrazos...nos quedan menos de 15 dias !!!!!!!!!!!!

Charisa said...

I love your big heart and desire to help others!!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

That is one serious mountain of shoes! Take care of your knees my friend.

Regina said...

thanks for the reminder of how good it feels to give back. I clean out my closet every spring and fall and donate whatever I haven't worn.

Children and the elderly especially touch my heart when I see them in desperate situations; makes me want to cry at times.

Kainoa is lucky to have a mom like you setting such a good example. You'll be sending an empathetic soul into the world. We need more of those.

MaryMaryMyers said...

If we learn from our trials in life then they were trials with a purpose. Your paying it forward with something as simple as shoes proves your caring heart is large. Every day women and children especially suffer, every donation big or little to a homeless shelter, thrift store or food bank lifts the spirits, not to mention the health and welfare of those women and children! Spread the word! Sharing is caring!
Peace and Love!

CoachLiz said...

What a great way to give back. There will be lots of women, children, and men who will put your shoes and shirts to good use.

I boxed up a good 16 pairs of running shoes and a big box of event shirts and sent them south of the Texas border this spring with one of my husband's co-workers. I just bagged up a bunch of my son's jeans and shirts he has outgrown and they will make it on the next trip. It is great to clear things out but it is even better to know that I can make someone's day a little brighter with a newer pair of shoes or a clean outfit.

chr15 said...

No chance of getting my stuff over to you in Hawaii, less chance of me dropping it off in person. But I will go through my cupboards, wardrobes and old shoes and bag up a load of stuff this weekend for those less fortunate here and abroad.

Thanks for today's post Bree. For your humility.

CT

Sherry said...

Thanks for the gentle (and welcome) reminder that we can all do a little bit more to make the world a better place.

Lisa G said...

That is such a wonderful idea, Bree! We all have so many excess pairs of running shoes that it really makes sense to give them away to someone less fortunate.

BTW, the Vancouver 1/2 iron was on t.v. last night and I caught the very end. Loved your interview!

X-Country2 said...

What a great cause. Hopefully the race has a HUGE turn out of people opening their closets.

Sue said...

We donate every Tuesday to the local Hospice in town. The kids always put stuff in the back of the car on a daily basis and I make them take it into the donation center. If something new comes in, always something old goes out. Teaches Peter and Chloe the art of need at a very young age and lets them know how others can benefit from it :) Have a great weekend!!

Bruce Stewart (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Great post. I hope you make it to CR not too far into the future.