Sunday, August 9, 2009

His Little Face Made Me Do It...

I'm really fortunate to be one of the people in the world who wake up and want to go to work. Who look forward to what the day will bring and the task at hand. No matter how much you love what you do, I've found it will never be more than enough to take the place of the people you love. With my next two races quickly approaching I've made sure to eat, sleep, train, recover, and focus on the job as if it's nobody's business. There's no calling in, caving in, or throwing in the towel at this point.

Today was different. I woke up to this little face that has patiently awaited his moms return after long days, some that have left her so worn out reading him a bed time story puts her to sleep, that I just called in sick. Really it was because Brooke and Nick are on Kauai and they are my Sunday Long Run Babysitting crew. Rather than consider an alternative sitter I just decided today belongs to my son, he is my number one job, the run will have to happen tomorrow, and it will, while he is in school... I'm not sure coach is too happy with me, but I sure made a little 3yr old feel like he is the most important thing in the world!

After church I asked Kainoa North or South, he said North. We packed a picnic and drove. About an hour later we landed on the beaches of Mahukona, where the cows used to come ashore from the boats. We love it here! The history is so rich, you can feel so much local culture, and of course the camping is some of the best because at night only the stars light the sky...

Kainoa and the local buddies jumped from the docks, climbed on rocks, and looked at the yellow tang swimming below. There was nothing more fun at that moment than watching my son smile and play as if this was the greatest day he ever lived! Run?? What run??



Hiking with Uncle Glen "Fisherman Extraordinaire".
Under the shade trees, a little escape from the sun...
Today Hurricane Felicia was supposed to have this place closed, we had no problem enjoying the sun, the beach, and the day...
Motherhood...

Walking the old train tracks that carried sugar cane and cattle...
Learning about the old days, discovering pieces of Hawaiian history on our hike...

After a very long afternoon under skies of blue and hours of playing in the ocean it was time for food. Our first stop was Uncle Glen's truck where he had a cooler of iced ahi waiting for us! Nothing like fresh caught and cleaned fish!! From there it was the local farmers market to gather all the fruits and veggies we would eat for the week. Then it was time to meet our friend Puna for fish tacos. All day was lavished in laughter and smiles and tomorrow I'm looking forward to that run after having made today so worthwhile...
Fresh ahi!!! YUMMY....
Some of the ahi transformed, coconut seared with Hawaiian spices ready for MORE fish tacos!! Looks like this week is nothing but ahi!
.
.
We are now swam out, hiked out, sunned out, and played out. Tomorrow is back to work....
Good night from Kona!
.

22 comments:

Mama Simmons said...

That looks like an awesome way to spend a Sunday, Bree! You are a great mom. :)

ADC said...

That ahi looks deliciouc. Never heard of it and never tried it but perhaps now I will. Great Sunday Bree.

Marco ~ Bodhi ~ said...

HI Bree,
these are wonderful pictures again.
Your son seems to feel better again, too.
nice to see this.

greeting
Marco

Marni said...

He has the best life ever...will you be my mom?
The fish looks great! I'm going to put up a talapia recipe this week :)
Keep up with the job that you work so hard to keep! Tough stuff to be a pro!! you are doing great.
-marn

Wet Hair, Warm Heart said...

Bree-Your little man looks like he loves having you as a mother....congrats on being such a great one.

Mel said...

Just BEAUTIFUL....yay that run can wait...the fun day with Kainoa will make the run much sweeter and give your head some good thoughts:)

Sherry said...

Wow! What a beautiful day! Totally worth putting a long run on hold... totally!!! Thank you for sharing your day with all of us. :o)

Christine said...

You totally made the right call with that choice!

Slow Rider said...

Glad to see you and kainoa found some of that special time. By the way, I am very jealous of the Ahi

t-odd said...

What a beautiful day. You got a workout in - I saw some weight lifting and plyometrics off the dock and some swimming.

You made the right choice.

Will you make me dinner and FedEx it to me - that fish looks awesome.

Kim said...

So glad you had a great day with your little man! The fish looks amazing! Hope your run the next day was wonderful!

Julia said...

aww. these photos made me smile so big. I'm glad you and Kainoa had such a fun day together.
And wow. Check out that Ahi. Mmmmmmm! :)

Go Gammie said...

A great way to spend a Sunday for you two :) Looks like a lot of fun. Congrats on your Sea to Stars race,,, that is amazing,, enjoy your holiday across the street!!!!

Yasi said...

That looks like such a great Sunday! I'm sure your little man soaked up every second of it.

I'm no fan of fish, but that last picture looks delish!

TriGirl Kate O said...

Will you adopt me? How about me and my kids?

ShirleyPerly said...

Just got back from the Pacific Northwest and heard about Felicia. Glad she didn't stop you and little K from having a great day together!

CoachLiz said...

You did the right thing to take the day off yesterday. I took the day off as well and started helping my son clean his room. UGH!!! I did not buy him all those toys! Just all the books and stuffed animals. :)

HEY! Guess what I saw today at the local REI??? I saw you and Antonio on the cover of Women's Adventure magazine. I got so excited my son and a sales person looked at me like I was nuts. The sales person was a little jealous that she had never known anyone who was on the cover of a magazine. Congratulations and GREAT PHOTO!!!

Running~Jordan said...

Good choice, beautiful day, beautiful way to spend it and honour your life!

Teresa said...

ABSOLUTELY the best decision...no doubt. Glad to see Kainoa recovered and back to the beaches.
tn

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

"Can't run with a hurricane bearing down on you" (that's the story, coach, and I'm stickin to it)

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

you are just the best mom ever Bree! Way to step back and really listen to what Kainoa was feeling...gives me chills.

MJ said...

I know this is an old post but I am way off the back in my 'summer reading'...

Good for you - part of being a pro (parent or athlete) is keeping balance. If you let it get too far out of whack you'll miss a lot more than one long run.

Good luck with all of your upcoming races!