Saturday, August 1, 2009

"Ho'omalamalama Pono"

I've learned a lot from life on an island, mostly that it's best to keep it simple and to keep a smile. With training at an all time high, a goal that needs heaps of attention, and keeping some balance so I don't become a complete swimbikerun kinda girl, I've adopted a little saying that was passed along to me...


"Ho'omalamalama Pono", it means to bring light, love, and care to every effort, situation, and intention in life. I love it, it's like my motto right now as I carry on about whatever it is I am doing in the way of training and life. Today's training was a ride with the Hawaii Cycling Club. I tried to bring my best focus, my goals, and purpose to the ride. When the hammer was put down and the front pack made the break away I was sure to hold on with my best efforts. Let me tell ya, it felt more like I was motor pacing then drafting! Oh I saw light, love, and care for sure as I hung on for dear life! lava rocks were just a blur on the side of the road...

Then the run. It was 20 miles with Heather Gollnick, 5x Ironman Champ. I've got my goals, they are in my head and heart. I've shared them with those helping me chase them and today's run was a day where I had to remind myself of them several times over. The bike boys saw me off and gave me their best encouragement, from there it was GO time. I was Heather's rabbit on the way out, up Palani, along Queen K, into the Energy Lab... I wasn't sure my pace, I just knew I was really hot and dripping buckets of sweat. I saw a few stars, thought about how good it would feel to slow down, then I remembered the saying, I have to have all my care, love, and light into this situation, this intention, if I plan on making it...

On the back half Heather was the rabbit. She has all the run endurance in the world, she just goes and the further she goes the stronger she gets. She told me it's years of experience and patience. The rookie in me was admiring that as all I wanted to do was run hard and fast right now. By this time the Kona sun was full blast, no shade, no gentle sea breeze, just a blistering pace and effort that left me holding on for dear life. In fact, it was 14 minutes faster then I have ever run that loop!

I hit the gym after 20 miles. Dennis, (the trainer from heaven-today he is from heaven, yesterday from hell), stretched me out post run, got the horrid muscle tightness out, and put me back in one piece. From there it was an ice bath and food, lots of it! The sun has now set on another beautiful day. I'm ready for my pillows...

Good night from Kona!
Bree

14 comments:

Mama Simmons said...

Wow! Yea for training partners who push you! Nice motto too. :)

Missy said...

I'm exhausted just reading about your killer day at the office. Eye on the prize, eye on the prize. Although the goal is different, whenever I don't want to 'go' any more, I just have to visualize that finish line and that 'number.' Get em girl!

Tawnee said...

Very inspiring post. Thanks for the motivation!

I'm so envious of your island lifestyle!!! I have a feeling I'm not going to want to leave when I come out for the World Championships in a couple months.

tribabe said...

Congrats on your run PR! That should be a huge confidence boost for you. Cheers!

Sherry said...

I should have definitely visited blogland 'before' my long run this morning. I suffer SO much in the FL heat and usually end up finishing a run feeling disappointed in my inability to stay hydrated and keep a pace greater than that of a snail. I like how you put it... putting all care, love and light into the situation... very motivational. I'll certainly think about that duing my next run. :o)

t-odd said...

Now that is a Kick Ass training partner. Hope Heather is around for awhile. Keep hammering it!

Yasi said...

That's a great run PR, and an awesome training buddy!

IronBob said...

Sounds like things are starting to gel and at the right time.

Way to go.

Cheers!

Regina said...

Love that expression. I felt that both times I have been to Hawaii. The people are so lovely!!

Now, that run, and off the bike too? I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy..good Gawd! Impressive. Bravo!!

Charisa said...

Whoo hoooo that rocks - awesome training partners and love your new motto!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Beautiful post! I would have been ready for my pillows way earlier in the training session :-)

Shawn and Tracy said...

Wow what a training day! Great job keeping yourself focused. I'm sure the ice bath was a welcomed end to a long hot day.

Tracy

Cy said...

You are making the most of your opportunities. 'WOW' is all I can say. You go girl :-)

Julia said...

I really love that saying! It's so... aloha spirit. I am going to write it out and put it up by my desk.
Great job on the 20 miler and slashing 14 minutes, wow!
I really like the photo too; I love how you can tell the kid at the bottom is giving the camera a shaka even though its cut off! :)