Sunday, August 16, 2009

Little Town BIG Love!


Brown Bear & me...
.
This post is dedicated to Sunny! Sunny, Brown Bear & Family, and the Big Island community!! One Sunday of every month the little town gathers at the Kona Pier for a Peaman. It's athletes, spectators, families, the community sitting on the sea wall just talking story, it's a gathering place for people who REALLY, REALLY care about each other. All of us have different jobs, different hobbies, different daily lives, but for that Sunday morning we are all a giant family that get a chance to catch up and love up on each other...
You can call Peaman a race. There is a 1...2...3...go! A finish line, a lot of trash talking (all friendly of course), a post race "sit and talk story session", and people actually swim and run hard. This morning it was a celebration of life. We celebrated Sunny and who she was in our little town. For her we dedicated our smiles and our race, we got together to be with Brown Bear and the children she left behind when cancer took her life 6 months ago. The day was perfect. Lots of sunshine, lots of good people, and lots of living... of course I fell in love with Kona and the people all over again. Truly the day was a celebration of life and appreciation of what we are capable of and being thankful for the good people we share life with.




Trash talking...






This morning was so beautiful. Swim, run, play. When all was said and done a lot of ALOHA was spread around and we hugged goodbye till the next Peaman Sunday....
Of course sometimes really good things come to an end... got this email from coach:
.
Hi Bree,
How was the swim at Peaman? Did you do it? Did you have enough discipline not to run at all during the race? Let me know how it went and how your run workout made out.
Thanks.
Coach
.
I wasn't exactly supposed to be there racing, I have a race next weekend that I was supposed to be not racing for. I just can't keep myself out of trouble!
.
Sunny, you are forever in our hearts! BIG love to you from your friends and family on the Big Island!!
.

14 comments:

Dolphin Boy said...

Very nice post Bree.

Brown Bear and Family are truly blessed with the Kona community. They define the Aloha Spirit!

Wishing you all the best at IM Phil. Safe travels. Have fun!

Marni said...

I want to be a pea! Looks like fun and a great atmosphere....I can feel the energy and happiness here in Florida!
-marn

Nottage Family said...

That was so much fun!! The whole morning felt magical to me; even if I can not take a picture to save my life.........but the run thing......I could have sworn that I was walking to the race w/Chipper in the jogger and you were not racing with Pablo? BUSTED!! I had to get out of the way........but yea.....you were not in your high gears at all. Thanks for the great fun and photos........see ya at Masters.......Naughty

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Way too much fun... where do I sign up for this living on the islands thing??

t-odd said...

Bree Wee! Breaking the rules, yet again! Aren't you heading to the Philippines very soon?

Regina said...

Looks like quite the day! Good, friends and good fun for a good cause!

D said...

Dear Coach P,

Bree could be addicted to booze, pills, men (etc, etc), but is addicted to life instead. It's really not so bad.

Regards,
D

<3

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Those little girls are just so adorable!!

Go Gammie said...

Heh Bree, glad you had fun at the Peaman "race". Just watching the Vancouver Half IM on TV again,, great job!!
Have a great race in the Philippines, I can't believe I am missing the camp!! Great preparation for the World Championships for you.

Avery said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Avery said...

Sounds like a great day. I am huge open water nerd, so ocean swimming is on my to do list. Also, just came across some photos of you from St. Anthonys earlier this year. I think I remember you posting one of two of them, but figured you might want to scope them out

http://sportzfoto.smugmug.com/gallery/8008934_6SweD#521733247_cxJ39

Jill Costantino said...

Ah Kona seems sooo absolutly WONDERFUL! Great pics! Have fun in the Philippines:)

Jennifer Harrison said...

Bree!
GOOD luck at Phil. Have a great great race!!!! enjoy!

ShirleyPerly said...

Glad there was a good turnout at the recent Peaman. Your coach cracks me up!