Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Mabuhay, Thats "ALOHA" here in the Philippines

The finish line going up... see ya Sunday!!
I LOVE the Philippines! This place is just amazing! I knew the moment it was put on the calendar that I had to do it, I wanted to do this race as much as a kid wants toys for Christmas! When coach finally agreed my heart just spun in a million loops with joy, and now I am here and it is everything and more than I ever, EVER, ever imagined it to be...


Today my job was helping with the Lifesport (my coaches), coaching clinic. What an opportunity! I got to meet a bunch of the local triathletes, work with them, train with them, and just share my passion of sport with them. What an honor for me! Sometimes I miss teaching so much, but days like this let me have back some of my love of teaching. Passing on what I have learned about sport and seeing it give back to someone else is just so cool... it made my day!


Of course I wasn't the only pro there... Hawaii's top ranked male pro triathlete, Tim Marr, was there to help on the swim training. AND Chris McCormack (Ironman World Champ), showed up to say hello after he played on the water slides!


This moment was the absolute highlight of my trip so far... seeing the children, the smiles, the joy they had just seeing strangers in their town giving them high-fives, it just made my day! It brought back the most special memories of all my moments in Central America. Race day will be one big celebration running down a street lined with happy children! The other training I got to help with was a loop of the run course. This run is by FAR my new favorite run race ever! The streets are so tiny, the homes are so humble, the trees lining the road are beautiful, the dogs running loose, all of it! Even the heat (it is soooooooooooo hot here), just had me smiling ear to ear. The entire little neighborhood was out on their front gates sitting, watching us train, just so thrilled that a half ironman is about to take place in their little town!


Yep, I did have camera time while running. Since I was helping coach I just ran around with the local athletes snapping fotos, talking with them, trying to encourage them to keep on going... it was so much fun, like making a handful of new friends!

This is the main road we will race down. The town was out watching us and this man jumped out and told me I looked like an angel to him...very flattering I must admit... but I think it is his home town, his community, and just how much I love this place that had me beaming with joy.

Another glimpse of the run course... how simple and perfect, the goat and all...






Hanging with a few of the local athletes I'm lucky enough to work with... and yes, they are wearing my special blue run hat!! LOVE IT!!!
Reminds me of home, anuenue!!

Since arriving in the Philippines everything has been first class. I tried to carry my own bike and luggage to my room and was stopped. The men of Cam Sur will not let you lift a finger!! If only they could have put my bike together for me too, ha ha!



The swim course... right next door to our rooms!


Our rooms. Each of us pros were put up in our own little cabins. No phones, no TV, just the way I like it!! I must confess, I do have my tunes jamming loud and the computer though...

Meeting up with my friend Arland... a local boy that visits Hawaii every now and then. CHEERS!



When we jumped off the plane THIS is what was waiting! Video cameras, cameras, TV, reporters, and a lot of people ready to get the race going!
Check out some of the pro men on my flight... this is going to be FAST!

Riding the bus with my new local friends...
This was day one. The Hawaii team getting picked up in Manila. We spent a night in Manila with the other pros, (more than enough time for me as I am not a city girl), woke up at 3:30am the next day to catch a flight to Naga (where we are now), and definitely more my style... laid back...
.
Okay, love to chat more about the Philippines adventures I am having BUT I have a massage in 2 minutes. Yes, they come to your room for $6 and get out all the training/travel pains! Sweet deal!!
.
Good night from Naga!!
Bree

19 comments:

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Looks like it is going to be a great weekend.

OK, now Macca doesn't look like he will look like a dweeb standing on the top step of the podium with you, compared to the last two I have seen.

Something to shoot for for the best photo opportunity....

Kim said...

Yes Yes YES! It sounds so perfect for you there Bree! Lots of wonderful people and good hospitality - what a perfect way to get prepped to have a great day out there. We will ALL be thinking of you and praying for a safe and happy day out there. Rest and enjoy pre race and then ROCK IT! Go Bree Go!

Marni said...

I spent 3 weeks in the Philippines for work service and it was the best experience ever! Those pics brought back so many memories of bucket showers, doing laundry while outside while sitting down and riding in the jeepnees. Have fun!! Thanks for the pics and have a great race!

CoachLiz said...

Oh My Gosh! It looks beautiful there. You are going to have a great race Bree. What a super plane load of athletes to be traveling with. I will keep tabs on you on Sunday. All the best of luck girl!

Maria said...

What a beautiful place...good luck with your race Bree...rooting for you :o)

BriGaal said...

Have a great time, Bree! I spent a few weeks in the Philippines and it was wonderful. Such friendly and BEAUTIFUL people! And it seemed like everything is very fertile there: plants, animals, women :)

Regina said...

check you out with your "Mantourage"!

It looks like it is going to be a great race from the pics. Reminds me a little of Indonesia.

Good luck!!

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Have a GREAT time - beautiful photos! Now that is DEFINITELY a great "mantorage!" ha ha - :) Have a SUPER race, relax and enjoy! :) Go get 'em!!!!

t-odd said...

Looks like a beautiful place. I love the community outreach. You look totally comfortable with a World Champion - you guys will look great on the top of the podium. Have a great rest of the trip.

Nottage Family said...

Ah, I can feel the joy and happiness in your spirit........you are radiant.......transcend your body and fly; thru you soul, joy and spirit.......you will be perfect; promise........best, Tad and Jennifer Nottage et al

Nottage Family said...

OMG........I/we forgot to thank you for sharing all of this with us........as if we are there.......thank you for taking the time to do this; to give of yourself and your time; regardless of whether you have a race coming up or not. XO Jennifer

Charisa said...

Love the photos - have fun!

Roo said...

You are racing on my b-day so it's going to be a good one- I just know it! Have fun!

Maggs said...

Looks like a blast. I love the rooms they put you guys up in. Looks like you're getting some rock star treatment. not that you shouldn't. Good luck!

MJ said...

Sounds awesome. Especially the $6 massages. Good luck on the weekend!

Heidi Austin said...

6$ massage? So worth it! Love the pics as always bree! Enjoy your trip and good luck girly! I hope you rock it :)

Teresa said...

Beautiful place...looks like tons of fun. Enjoy and have a GREAT race.
tn

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

What a great adventure Bree!

Swim Coach Finder said...

Looks like you had some priceless memories in the Philipines. It is amazing how trips like that stay with your memories for a very long time