Saturday, August 22, 2009

Maybe I Should Just Get Married...

It's almost over, the most fun race and race experience of my entire life is just about wrapping up. I'm pretty sad to be honest, I really fell in love with the Philippines and the people. Next year I will be back (did you hear that one coach??!!). I might cry when I leave... tomorrow we hit the plane for Manila (from the country to the city). Tuesday touch down Kona & Kainoa...

The race went like this...
.
I woke up feeling SO READY to race. Butterflies, excitement, and confidence. Confidence has not been my strength lately after a crummy first half of the season. BUT my past few weeks of training have been so incredible and I healed so much from a lot of "other pain", that I just began to believe again...believe that I can race with the best women in sport, that I can do this...
.
With my new confidence I toed the line of the swim and instantly decided I was going to be right up front...with the fast people...and it worked. McCormack lost his goggles at one point and ended up swimming a bit sloppy, that meant ME ON HIS FEET. Yeah, I know, could swimming get any cooler?? SO I had him and Gina Kehr pulling me around the big lake. I was smiling SO BIG to be with 2 of the best swimmers in sport. Then came the run to the small lake. Macca took off but Gina was still there. She ended up closing the gap by 11 seconds, BUT it was the best swim of my career (so far). To be anywhere in her time zone and only 45 seconds behind the first man out of the water was insane for this "dolphin hunting snorkeler".
.
The bike went like this: GO! And I went as hard as I could for as long as I could. There was no building and no pacing and no strategy-AT ALL. It was me thinking I could win the race if I get a really big bike lead (because I knew all the women behind me are serious runners). I looked at the heart rate, zone 5, it stayed TOO HIGH for too long. I just kept believing though. At one point I was so happy to be leading the race by almost 5 minutes that I was getting tears! Then I rode through a town that reminded me so much of my life in Costa Rica that I really started crying! I high-fived every single child that I rode past (of course praying they would not yank me off my bike). I just felt like I was home, like I was in Playa Hermosa, with the kids again, and I got this energy that made me think I could ride my bike forever in zone 5 or 6! I forgot all about the other women, it was me and the people of the Philippines on an empty street in what felt like a dream. Mile 40ish I started to feel a wall...then I hit it... it was then I decided to get calm down, but it was too late. Near the end of the bike Gina and Lisa B. caught me like I was on training wheels...
.
T2/run... us 3 were off the bike together, Lisa had her shoes on just in front of me and just after Gina and I never saw them again. They ran. I survived. A few miles later Charlotte got me and the rest was me wondering if I did a good thing finding some confidence again and going for the win from the start of the swim and of course learning a VERY painful lesson THAT I WILL NOT DO DURING IRONMAN HAWAII... or if I did a bad thing and "what if I built the bike" came into mind. I did however get to run my final mile with my Filipino friend Arland and he sung me the song "Dying together" with 800 meters to go...
I really have to thank Fred (left side) for putting on such a GREAT race! What an amazing race director, friend, and person! In fact, I owe a HUGE mahalo to the entire Philippines 70.3 team! You all far exceeded all of our expectations. And thank you to the Governor for dreaming up this place and letting us all be part of your dreams for the town! To the volunteers, you made the day with your cheers and encouragement! To the people of Cam Sur/Naga, I really love you, so much! The smiles on your faces and the love you bestow on everyone made me feel so at home! To Lisa, Gina, Charlotte, Emma, and the Filipino pro women thank you for pushing me SO HARD, 4th place never hurt so good! AND a HUGE congrats to each and every finisher! WE DID IT!!
.
Finally, to the fan that asked me to marry you, let me think about it... to the man that slapped my butt on the run, I needed that to get me moving so I won't kick your @$$ this time! To the woman that called me sexy while I was racing half naked through your town, thanks, I think.
This first class treatment from the Pinoy boys (like carrying my bike back to my room after the race) I could really get used to. Seriously, when was the last time you saw this (see below). These guys treat their women like princesses! Maybe I should consider my marriage proposal a little more seriously...
Thank you so much to my family, friends, training partners, coach, manager, and sponsors for helping make this dream a reality. I really appreciate it more than words could ever express...and I promise... I won't let my confidence make me think I can race a 56 mile ride in zone 5-6 ever again...
.
Time to play in Naga! AND Kainoa, see you soon buddy! Mommy misses you like crazy!
.

34 comments:

D said...

You're a nut!

ShirleyPerly said...

Sometimes you just have to go with your gut and see where it leads you. Congrats on 4th!

Marni said...

Way to go!! I knew you would enjoy the Philippine lifestyle! You don't need much (or anything) to be super happy!

damontucker said...

Butterflies in the stomach happen to all of us who compete.

Honestly... One time I threw up and had hives before a wrestling tournament in High School when I knew my opponent was the reigning State Champion.

Somehow I pulled through those nerves as a sophomore to defeat the buggah.

I kid you not... I went in the locker room and puked after the match.

Some folks said it was my diet... others said it was my nerves... I still to this day think it was a shock to my body that I defeated someone who I never, at that time of my life, thought I could defeat.

Adrenaline and Endorphins makes the body do weird things...

Maijaleena said...

Great race and race report! Great that you could learn some important things for IM Hawaii and have lots of fun. Looks like a fun place.

Love the suit.

t-odd said...

Hey - Live and learn. At least you went for it and still did well rather than holding back and wondering "what if." Glad to hear the confident Bree is back! Great race!

Sherry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sherry said...

Way to go, Bree! Congrats on a fantastic 4th place finish! Sounds like the PI were a true home-away-from-home for you. Safe travels back to the "double K's"!

Bruce Stewart (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Hope you get to go there again next year. The PI is close to us, but I hope this time next year I'll be in Hawai'i, so meeting you in the Philippines will have to wait until another time.
I hope next year you can do a lot of races. Then you'll know how to pace yourself just like those other girls who seem to get it right every time.

Adrienne said...

congrats to going out and having the time of your life out there girl. Your energy is contagious. I love it. Happy training until Ironman Hawaii!

Go Gammie said...

Great race Bree!!! That is awesome that after going so hard on the bike you were able to pull off a great run. Not to mention your fabulous swim!!! With your great attitude you are a true champion, can't wait to cheer for you in Hawaii!!

Regina said...

Fourth ain't too shabby, I'd take it and run! If nothing else, sounds like you had a great experience, and isn't that what life is about (the whole, "journey not the destination" thingy?).

Marriage proposal? If someone holds an umbrella for me in the hot sun, I'd marry them in a NY minute.

And hey, sexy, that lady was right (remember, I've seen you in your underwear....along with everyone else who read a few posts ago). Grrrrr....lol.

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

OK, let's get to the meat of the matter. We know you redlined it during the bike and that caused some woes, but other than that, how did the Cerasport do for you?

Oscarjet said...

Felicidades por esa carrera !!!
Increible relato que me hace leer cada linea mas rapido...
Increible Phillipines !!!! las fotos hablan por si solas...! que envidia !
Mañana o pasado nacera nuestro BB !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! que ganas !!!!!! llevo unos dias "out" de los trainings y de la blogsfera....sorry...but mi mujer el lo 1º ahora !!!!!!! abrazos desde SPAIN !!!!!!!

Lisa G said...

This was the best race report ever! Made me laugh! Glad you had a fun time and a great trip!

Nottage Family said...

It takes immense humility to concede to your mistake and result yesterday (or is it two days ago???:-)..........Yes, hammering a bike and worrying about the run later is usually; almost unequivocally, a racing plan that will not work....because the cost of the power on the bike will render you unable to run. SO, having a meltdown and knowing why with certainty is hopefully going to make a difference in every race to come. I heard a rumor in Ironman that the race BEGINS at mile 90 on the bike. What is so cool though is that you are happy; and there's nothing; not even a bonk in a race with not the self admitted optimal pacing strategy.....that you are so radiant. This isn't going to happen in IM but for the first time I see your happiness coming from your travels and people meeting than racing itself......well not the first time; but we are really happy to see you so happy.......remember my 2006 Honu........ironic I've never done another HIM!! However, I was smiling the whole way a few mos. later in IM.......I was taught about pacing and patience....which are very good to have in life as well. Shine On Beauty; I think you are THE MOST ELIGIBLE bachelorette on the market:) Love Naughty and family

Nottage Family said...

PS........I went to world time clock to get the conversion so I could watch you race; so for me it was 1pm on Saturday......my poor family; they used to walk on pins and needles when I was training in a structured way w/coach and racing and now the whole house was upside down as I stared everyone down for silence; leave me alone; no questions.....mommy is busy......Bree's racing!! Husband and two kids ended up leaving....I only noticed this about 2 hours later!! Like, where did everyone go? Hah! Obsessive compulsive behavior never leaves far from me! Great race and lessons........See you in Master's maybe Wed/definitely Friday..........Love Naughty!!

Melissa said...

Great job Bree, sounds like a good race even with being in zone 5 for so long! Wow, I can't even imagine what it feels like to be leading a race for that long, your love for the sport really comes out in this race report!

I'm showing that umbrella photo to my hubby. What the heck? Since he's Filipino (half) I expect that type of treatment on hot days ;-)

Jill Costantino said...

Congratulations Chickeeta - you are by FAR the coolest athlete to follow. Seriously! You are such an inspiration with how you live your life, learn your lessons and teach the others that want to learn.
Congratulations on a great experience!

Charisa said...

Awesome - that you had the guts to GO FOR IT! Who cares if you did not get it - great learning race and you will be ready for Kona!!!

Train-This said...

like we have talked about before Bree, this season your growth is unbelievable.(when you have a chance can I have a brooke update)?

Mary!

Bob Almighty said...

Awesome race report. To quote Macca, "You can't be afraid to make a move." I can't wait to see how you do in Kona.

ADC said...

I knew you'd love it there - it is truly amazing part of the world. Well done on a great 4th place.

Christi said...

Great job Bree!!!!

Kim said...

That was AWESOME BREE!! What a race! I could feel the excitment! You did your thing..and for that, you should feel great and thankful. You really are back! IT was a hard earned 4th place and I'm so glad you had fun the whole week getting there. You did great! We are all so proud of you!! Way to go!

Iain Banks said...

Great race and nice result. To take the chance to go out in front in a race is a huge achievement...next time you'll stay out front.

rr said...

Great job superstar! You did awesome, and it sounds like such a wonderful trip.. travel home safe!

MJ said...

Way to go Bree! Strategy, shmategy... I like the killer instinct. It's only a matter of time before it all comes together and you are on the top step.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Awesome race! So close you can taste it but it sounds like you had a great time and that means you can do it again! And again! Congrats!

JP Severin said...

good work shelling yourself... sometimes it is necessary and hell of a swim.

Slow Rider said...

I am pumped for you, sets you up perfect for Kona. High spirits solid mind and body. Well body anyway. one out of two aint bad. :)

I am dreaming up a family vacation to next yrs Ironman Kona. I rode with a young girl who got her spot in R.I. 70.3 this weekend in Philly. I told her to watch for the bike on the swim. She looked at me like I was nuts. Luv it

Roo said...

Yay! Glad you had a great race! A marriage proposal and a slap on the butt? Sounds like a good day to me!

Heidi Austin said...

Way to go Bree! Sounds like you had a blast! That's the important part right? :) Congrats on your 4th place finish as well!

Missy said...

Way to rock it! Sounds like the perfect time, great people, new friends, killer race and a 4th place finish in 'da bank!