Friday, August 7, 2009

Seeing Stars...

I've been seeing stars all week long. Lots of them. Mostly because training has been an all time intensive adventure and just when I think i'm about to explode it's round 2 or 3 or 4 or more. This morning was tops. My arms, legs, lungs, and brain were in survival mode, BUT the lane mates helped me make lap after lap AFTER lap. AND of course a training session with the trainer from you know where after the swim made whatever drop of energy left in me soon vanish!
This week the song "Hope" from Shaggy is keeping me going. I just have to share my favorite lines from the song (in no particular order)...

Keep your eyes on the stars when the skies are grey. When the sun doesn't shine and the tides are high and the board may be rocky you can cry just never give up. Home girl couldn't have made it alone. With a strong foundation carved in stone...

I just eat this song up right now! I'm totally keeping my eyes on the stars (and my goals) depsite all the challenges that occur often in my sporting life. And when the sun doesn't shine and the tides are high (that part reminds me of my busted up heart I endured) and I have cried but I just won't give up that love still waits for me. And finally, the part about home girl not making it alone, Yeah, that is where my incredible support crew comes in! And that strong foundation, that's belief in something from above...

Yes, after a week of this tropical island training all I wanted was a night at the beach, so Kainoa and I found ourselves watching the surfers under a beautiful sunset. The evening was perfect. Barefeet in the sand and salty faces from splashing in the waves...

Of course all good things eventually have to call it a night. Tomorrow I plan to stumble into more stars. The Hawaii Cycling club is hosting the annual "Sea To Stars" stage race. It starts in Hilo and ends somewhere up Mauna Kea. Yes, that would be the side of the largest volcano. This will be my first time doing this race. I've never really wanted to do it. A couple years ago my friend passed out from lack of oxygen during the elevation gain. Not to mention the ride goes straight up with 20% grades at it's most ugly. This year though, I want to do it. I want to do everything I've ever been scared of and everything that might hurt worse than all the other pain I have had to let go of...
The boys got my road bike in tip-top shape for me... and of course changed the gearing. Yes, that would be an 11-30 in the back, I know, ridiculous, never thought I would need that many gears in my life! BUT, I plan to make it up the volcano tomorrow...

Time to climb!!!
.







10 comments:

Ashley said...

Climb on Bree... leave the pain below. Reach for the clouds, the stars, clear air. Feel your heart beat, race; your legs scream. Feel alive & be glad. You are amazing and strong.

Regina said...

How do I top Ashly's comment? I think she says it all.

Hey, if you don't want those extra gears just stuff 'em in an envelope and fedex them to me!

Good luck in the race, take it to the top!

triitagain said...

Good Luck! Loved your Triathlete's Coffee Shop interview, great tips for newcomers.

Stacy

SwBkRn said...

Good on ya Bree I love that race. The first year I showed up with my tri bike and NO gear adjustments. It didn't dawn on my until we were heading up and Grant and Tim M were talking about their gearing, I soon discovered the need for more gears. I proudly made it up and would do it again if i were on island. one word of advice, don't get off to pee during the last 3 miles or you'll have to ride downhill first to gain the of going up again.
Have Fun
Lisa

Coach Liz said...

Wowza!!! an 11 x 30 is crazy!!! People made fun of my pie plate 12 x 27 last week in Colorado going over the Continental Divide.

You will do spectacular on this stage race. Trust me, you will have enough oxygen. If I did not pass out at 12,000 feet above sea level you should do just fine.

Let us know how it all goes and don't forget to take enough warm clothes for the top.

t-odd said...

That is one heck of "race." How fun will it be for you to have your HR maxed and be going like 13 miles an hour.

The definition of hopelessness: when you go to shift into your granny gear - and you are already in it.

You will do great! Can't wait to hear about it.

GoBigGreen said...

When we were up in No. Wisconsin last weekend we saw a couple with super sweet Argon bikes. I Said "hey that is Bree's bike!" And they looked like I was crazy, but I had never seen one in person!

They were Canadian and love them. I laugh at the Canadian flag on your bike and then the MADE IN CHINA label!

Melissa said...

Man! Sounds like an awesomely-tough climb, can't wait to read about it! Good luck...remember to breath ;-)

Charisa said...

FUN - enjoy the crazy climbing!!

Elements of Erin 337 said...

Sweet 11-30. I havea 12-27 on my race wheels for Ironman Canada. Good to see the pros need some extra gears sometimes too!