Sunday, August 2, 2009

Sunday AROUND The Island...

Sunday's are my most favorite day of the week! Growing up it was my dad making GIANT PANCAKES day, and family church day, and beach day, then long run day. Today it was going long around the island day or seeing as much as you can see in 8hrs day...

It started with a sunrise swim. The swell was so beautiful, it lifted us up and gently droped us down for 2 miles along the Kona Coast. As beautiful as it was it was not a bikini-float-look-at-fish kind of swim. It was a one piece swim day.
I only had one VERY small opportunity to look at the sea creatures below. I dove as deep as I could to get close up to the most radiant red sea urchin I ever saw in my life and wouldn't you know it...the swell picked me up and dragged me across the reef nearly making me reef rash! SOOOOOO... my awesome sea urchin picture ended up being this blurry mess that I snapped while seeing the coral eat me alive from the wave trying to tackle me.

Like I said, this was not bikini swim or take foto day, so by the time I got back to the surface and caught my breath Coach Eric was down the coast and I was left solo chasing him!



Straight out of the swim it was time to bike. Thankfully the back of the Toyota makes a nice changing room/locker room! We actually got to catch our breath pre-ride. It was enough time to talk story in the parking lot and put on an entire bottle of sunscreen so Dr. Scheels never has to tell me have skin cancer ever again...


Time for a 6hr ride. Queen K was heating up nicely and so were the winds. It was hot and windy and it nearly blew the hula girls skirt right off! She held onto my bike for dear life and so did I...



Being an island tour kind of long ride day we went right instead of left... UP to Waimea! If you think Kona is hot, try riding the desert of a climb up to Waimea! The wind stopped completely and we just melted...not a single little breeze of anything. My legs were now hating me. They tried to remind me of that 20 miler with Heather yesterday. Coach Eric gave me the pep talk and said to just follow him, his pace, and not try to smash my HR or the hills. So I followed the leader...

At one point it got so hot I didn't know if I was going to pass out or just die. I am usually really good in the heat, but I was melting. Just thinking about it is making me sweat right now. I was just about to jump off my bike and into the stream running next to the road. THEN I remember I have to LOVE this, CARE about this, and shine a little LIGHT on this... so I pretended I was in the Philippines where I keep hearing it is hotter than Hawaii...

We finally got closer to Waimea and as expected it got FREEZING! I'm talking so cold I was shivering. Then it began to rain as it ALWAYS rains in Waimea! Everything was soaking wet and I was now thinking how cool it would be to call for a friend to pick me up and drive me home! This 8hr island tour was having us experience all sorts of climates!
Finally, from under the rainey-hazey-voggy visability I saw some light- KONA, 39 more miles! YAHOOOOOO! Of course good ol' Mamalahoa upper highway did not disappoint! The sun and winds returned, warmed me back up, and we were cruising. Coach Eric once again took the lead and I just smiled to be following along as he set a pretty good pace and kept me focused for such a long day. About 5hrs later Coach Eric pats me on the back and says, "Good riding Bree, you can do this". He sends me off to finish my last hour solo. Coach Paul and him must be communicating because everytime I am happily cruising they challenge me to go play alone and work through my mental blocks solo...
I finished that ride with a smile on my face so big, as big as if I just won a trip to Costa Rica or something! It was only my 3rd or 4th time ever riding that far in my life so I had to pinch myself for surviving...especially after a long swim. No long Sunday would be complete without a run. So I ran. Not far and not fast, just a run that made the day finish up 8hrs of my island tour...

To make a good day even better it was time for a sunset at the beach! My body was so tired and just wanting to sleep (for a week), however, as soon as that sand hit my toes and the salt water touched my skin I was revived! I'm so in love with the beach that is just seems to captivate my heart everytime I go. Within moments I collected dozens of broken sea urchin quills and a million smiles! The sun set on another really good day. Perhaps the only thing that would have made it better would be if I was camping under the stars at the beach...


Night!

19 comments:

Maggs said...

I love that ride up to Waimea. But it can be windy...and cold. When is the race in the PI?

ADC said...

Great training day Bree - woo hoo. Love the pics.

Sherry said...

An 8 hr. island tour!?! I thought island tours were only supposed to be 3 hrs? Or at least that's what Gilligan told me. Holy moly, Bree! You are my hero!

I love that you have so many different climates right there on your little island. Neat stuff!

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Keep up the training. You can make it. You will have a great race in October.

Christi said...

Great job on the training day!

Renee said...

Gorgeous photos as always!! Great ride too!

Slow Rider said...

Sounds like you are getting very strong. Can't wait to see you rock in your upcoming races

Marni said...

I feel like I want to live in Kona with all of your pictures! So beautiful!

t-odd said...

That is one heck of a Sunday. "Day of Rest" - not for you apparently. Love the pictures. I love that you ride with the hula girl on your bars - she better make it to the Philippines and "The Big One."

Yasi said...

Sundays are my favorite days too, my step Dad likes to make it a pancake/waffle day also! Sunrises & sunsets on the beach area always a perfect week-ender

IronBob said...

Holy Cow!! and I thought I had a tough training day!! At least you have the scenery of Kona... me the scenery of Florida state highways and Arnie's riding prowess..NOT!

Charisa said...

I love your little hula girl!! She makes me smile all the time :) I have a peace sign on my bike that my running coach gave me - every time I look down at it on a hard ride it makes me smile. It's the little things that make life great. Awesome job on your weekend!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

I agree with Charisa - that hula girl rocks!

Way to push through what sounds like a wicked long training weekend!

You are amazing.

Regina said...

wow. 8 hour tour after that run yesterday? yikes. Nice photos, I love them in every post! I am so used to seeing signs in English and Spanish, so funny to see the Mango sign in English and Japanese! Hope you stopped to have one!

D said...

Well I got to check out hot firefighters and cops in speedo's all day Sunday, so there.

Terrish B said...

Gosh... I just love your blog!!

Marco ~ Bodhi ~ said...

Lovely pictures.
I like the sundown best.
Is the one voodoo doll at the bicycle?

Greeting
Marco

Go Gammie said...

Great way to spend a Sunday Bree. Awesome sunset and yes,,, blurry pictures are cool!!

MaryMaryMyers said...

Can you imagine which pic I love most? Have a happy happy happy week!
P&L,
Mary