Thursday, September 17, 2009

Is It Dinner Time Yet???

Since Sunday one of my last LONG rides pre-Ironman has been in the making. It had to be a good one, one that would leave me feeling satisfied, ready, and a little more confident in my nutrition & long distance ability. One that would have me feeling in love with my bike and WANTING to spend 112 miles on it October 10th. Kevin helped round up the troops, 6 of us were game.
.
Instantly this morning I noticed more speed on 2 wheels than I ever have on a long ride...the goal...finish WITH THEM. Ben Hoffman was the ring leader, he was our fearless male pro with a 4:30 IM bike split (hell on 2 wheels). The rest of the guys were there to push him when they could, attack a hill if possible, and keep Ben moving even if it meant he had to pull A LOT.
.
Up to Hawi we lost 2 guys, on the climb I just kept saying to myself, "don't let go even to breathe". The boys were very supportive and encouraging. They gave me some pointers, let me take pulls when I was feeling fiesty and could actually "pull", pushed me pretty hard, and didn't mind if I was a wheel sucker most the ride. Never in my life has a long ride been so much fun or so much faster than I usually do it. The Hawi loop we did usually takes me 5:25 minutes, today it took 4:48 minutes! NOT even kidding! Sure most the work was in a group compared to my solo missions, but let me tell ya, it was a total rush riding like that! To finish our ride became a race, at least it felt like a team time trial. It was Ben, Pablo, and me back to town and we just traded pulls so quick for as long as you could hold the pace. Mine weren't nearly as long and thankfully when they pulled through they didn't just smash me, I felt like I was in a race and won the thing!

This was the refuel of choice, but I won't say who's. Straight into the water bottles... Coke Boy then pulled like he was being chased by a lion! My heart rate saw new numbers following this guys "post coke" nutriton plan...
.
From there it was RUN time. Jump off the bike and run hard, full of effort, but with control. The sun was blazing and the wind was calm, it felt a lot like a sauna. Thankfully Ben and Pablo had a run too. At mile 2 I saw Pablo running in the opposite direction and mile 4 I saw Ben running the other way, of course I waved and cheered! Seeing them gave me so much strength! I knew they just hammered that ride too yet they were still out there running. There is something about seeing people you admire and respect working so hard that makes you want to do the same. It was a really good day, one that I am putting in the bank, ready to cash October 10th.
.
For now... dinner time! We planned a post race (well, felt like a race), post brick dinner. Better get the party dress on... this is going to be good! Time to go meet the guys who pulled me all over the Ironman course, hopefully they don't show up in their stinky bike clothes....!!
.
Happy Training!
Bree
.

16 comments:

ADC said...

You are one tough cookie hanging with those guys. Hope the dinner was good.

Jennifer Harrison said...

Awesome Bree! Glad your training is going well for Kona and GOOD Luck to you on the 10th!!! ENJOY!

miles99999 said...

Great ride, sounds like you are having a tremendous run of training leading up to Oct 10th. Keep it up and believe.

Amanda said...

WOW! Nice riding.
My coach also has a coke (and fig newton) nutrition plan...and he's super fast. Whatever works.

Can't wait to track you on 10/10!

Charlie said...

;-)

AngelaM said...

You're AMAZING chica! Am just as stoked about watching you cash in on all those VERY SOLID workouts you stacked in the bank as I am about my first Kona experience. Keep up the great work!

Regina said...

You are going to kick a** my friend come October 10th! Can't wait to follow you! Congrats on the fantastic ride!

NJ said...

You are amazing, Bree! Can't wait to see all these tough workouts pay off for you for the big race!

t-odd said...

What happens October 10th? Is this an anniversary or something?

You have really stepped up the training and enjoyment this second half of the season. Keep healthy and happy!

IAN said...

Ok, you said it. One more goal for "the plan": Your bike split = 4:48.

GET IT!!

Go Gammie said...

Way to go on one of your last long training rides. That is unreal speed you were travelling!! I bet you are looking forward to the taper, and having a great race!!

Marni said...

Training would take much less time if we always trained with people faster than us!!! But then again, so much more pain! :)
Love hearing your training as you gear up for kona!! Can't wait to watch you!! I'm super excited for you. Campy and I will be watching all day long!!
-marn

Damie said...

B! Great ride!!!!!!!!! awesome confidence booster!!!!!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Rock star doesn't come close to describing you! Go Bree!!!

Yasi said...

That sounds like such a stellar training group..way to go! Hope dinner went well!

Sherry said...

Woah... speed demons... ALL of you! Great work!