Sunday, September 13, 2009

Is Lavaman Really Over...??

(Ben Hoffman and I celebrating our wins...)
.
I have that sort of sad feeling in my belly. The one you get at Christmas. You know how as a child you get so excited about something, where you wait FOR SO LONG for the day to get there, then the day comes and you have SO MUCH fun, then it is over... Lavaman is now pau. It was more fun than ever imagined and I am more thankful than ever imaginable for coach letting me race, for my friends & training partners, for the race directors and volunteers, for such a GREAT day all day long!
The swim was fantastic! I love Keauhou Bay!! It gets really deep pretty quick and you can't help but enjoy the ocean below. I knew Ben Hoffman and Pablo Ureta were going to be my swim-team. Little did they know I was planning on adding in a few extra meters (since we are training for Ironman I thought we could use the distance). Yes, my sighting took us way wide, then way inside, then who knows where (Pablo said to coffee). Thankfully Ben got my feet or something and let me know I was headed far from the buoys. Sheeeesh! We ran up the beach together and then.... I never saw them again... YOU BOYS OWE ME FOR THE RIDE!!

The ride was so much fun! Up a very nice hill, then another hill, then DOWN a hill pretty darn fast. My legs were not with me today and I knew that would be the situation. I just did what I could and went as best as I could. It wasn't horrible, it just felt like I didn't have another gear. The speed was hiding but the endurance was there...
The run was just steady. Nothing fantastic, nothing horrible, just have as much fun as humanly possible, wave a lot, enjoy a lot, "embrace" the major fatigue after a challenging week. I used it as an opportunity to work on being tuff when my legs are left behind & a chance to work on running form when really it feels more like elephants just sat on your legs. Thankfully the course was AMAZING and it felt a lot like a Hawaiian adventure in wonderland than a painful run race...
Ahhhh....post race talkin' story with the girls...
The highlight was Kainoa waiting at the finish!! Thanks SO much Jim for having him there! Meant the WORLD to this momma! He is my favorite trophy!!
Hanging with Kona's FASTEST couple, Rani Tanimoto and Penn Henderson!!
And because I left my legs somewhere out there during the week of LONG distance training and then trying to race fast, I lost my legs all together and needed a ride back to my truck! DAVE to the rescue!!
Chillin with Maggs!!
Ben and Pablo must not have had enough extra swimming with my bad siting, so they swam with me more... we called it "recovery floating"... On Ironman day they will thank me for the extra swim workout, 2.4 miles will be nothing compared to how far off course I took us!!

My favorite amigo...
My other favorite amigo....
Don't step on this amigo...
We swam out to the surf break, Ben got an idea... more on that later! After that fun... it was time to run! YES, Coach had another run on the plan for me... it felt SUPER...truthfully, it didn't feel nearly as bad as I was expecting it to feel. From there it was a baby shower that I never made it to because I was running, running, running into the night...After that it was the Lavaman dinner celebration...wooohooo...BIG MAHALO to Dr. Herd and his lovely wife for hosting all of us! They thought to wear the athletes out even more we could play bean-bag toss, and croquet (in the dark). The Lavaman fun just never ended!!
Zac starting playing the guitar and that is when my eyes refused to stay open. NIGHT! But I needed a ride home...Luis brought me to the celebration....he was staying more....hmmmm.... walking not an option after the week, the day, the evening of back yard games in the dark...
Pablo to the rescue!! Ben pushed me, I pushed Pablo, UP THE HILL, to his house! Thankfully he had a truck to drop Ben and I off at our homes! (I would have ridden on the handle bars though). Now I am home and already counting the days till next Lavaman, coach can I race!!?
.
Okay, I need to sleep, swim practice in the morning!
NIGHT!!
Bree
.

14 comments:

ADC said...

Great race - well done. Photos are amazing. Kainoa is growing into perfect little boy. Love the pic of you and Maggs - beautiful!

Sherry said...

Oh, fun day!! YAY, Bree! Way to go!!! Looks like 'somebody' is getting ready to peak for that all important one that is coming up! :o) I'm sooooo freakin' excited for you! Lovely pics as always!! Congrats, again!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Great job and great pics. I too love my Keahou shoes. Got a brand new pair looking at me in my office saying "Let's go running at lunch"
Cheers!

Marni said...

Great job!! Looks like so much fun!
-marn

Ange said...

Congrats!! sounds like a blast

Regina said...

Fun! I love the shot with Kainoa walking into the middle of the frame while the three of you are posing, too funny!

I see that 29 on the back of (your?) calf? No need to gloat, us old gals know we'll never see 29 again ;)


Congrats!

CoachLiz said...

Congratulations!!! What a great day for you. I cannot fathom racing and then going for another swim and another run. That is hard core. You are going to do great next month!!!

ShirleyPerly said...

I need to do this race for sure in the future. I was hoping to do it this year but my coach wanted me to train in FL in Sept rather than coming back to the island :-(

Glad you had fun!!!

Josie said...

Congratulations! And I have to say, my favorite photos are always the ones where you're posing and Kainoa is randomly walking by! ;-) And that is great that he was there at the finish! PS- Loved the pic of you posing with the two guys that shows off your ripped abs! Whew! Good job!

Charisa said...

That looks soooooo FUN!!!! Awesome - so glad you got to do it! :)

Go Gammie said...

Glad you got to do the Lavaman race, and also get in some extra swim time!! Have a great week :)

t-odd said...

You are looking great! Thought that might be Dara Torres coming out of the water with those guns. WOW.

I love how nonchalant Kainoa is at all the races and awards. "Whatevs, mom is on another podium."

Looked like a really fun night, too.

skoshi said...

I love your excitement--like a burst of sunshine. Always gives me a lift when I need it. Even tho' I just had the world's worst swim (Harvest Moon, Aurora, CO), the Lavaman Keahou course still looks (surprisingly) beautiful to me (I'm a water panicker). Mahalo for sharing.

Steve Stenzel said...

It makes me feel better that you sometimes can't swim a straight line either!! Glad I'm not the only one!

Great pics!! CONGRATS!!