Friday, September 25, 2009

Nani, u'i, maika'i Ola...

Life is BEAUTIFUL... Yesterday was beautifully painful. Every Thursday in Kona we have a group ride, double hills. BIG HILLS. Down Napapoo then climb out. South along the highway, down Ho'okena, climb out. What makes this ride so amazing, (other than the fact you are still alive when you reach the top of the hill), is the view from the bottom! Woooooo, it is breathtaking! The local boys were blessed with the strong legs of a couple pro men in town (Ben Hoffman & Bruno Clerbout). I hung on for DEAR LIFE up and down the hills....

The first climb out I was feeling pretty good and hung on with the ability to snap a foto, laugh a little, talk a bit, and smile. Climbing up Ho'okena was another story. Spit, snot, tears were flowing! No camera, no talking, my legs were burning, it all hurt so bad. Ben, Bruno, Aussie Dan, and Aussie Adam started racing... sheeeeeeesh....and that is when I saw the most beautiful pain second only to child birth... It really hurt, to say the very least.

Ho'okena Beach...

The hand shakes and fist bumps were sincere at the start and finish of the ride, but everything in between was "every man for himself". Hold on or get off the ride pretty much. I was just thankful they let me come, I guess the Hawaii Cycling Club realized this kid sister is a tag along!

Hang on hula girl... it's just a 4 hour ride... and only I have to run off the bike!

I fell more in love with my bike then the day before & the day before that...

Beautiful Waipio... untouched beauty...barefoot and free...
.
Today was another beautiful day! I'm getting all my training done physically and working on that other part, the part in your head. The focus part. Coach gave me a book that I am reading for the 3rd time about FOCUS. I'm working on "Distraction" this week. It was time to get away, step back, and look at the big picture. Think on my goals, see my goals, let my goals come to life... off to a quiet spot...
Since Ironman training is in full effect I know coach would be happy if I ran all the way up and all the way down the valley, it's not too steep... ha ha, just kidding, we drove...

My amigo Pablo and I set out on a mission to train our minds for Ironman. All the hard work is in the bank. With about 2 weeks to go it is time to sharpen up the minds... so a little escape was in order...a place where NOBODY else would be...

Under the shade...

Reading, high-lighting, studying....training my brain. Working hard on getting my "focus on". No outside distractions of other athletes, no training, just a beach with only our foot prints, the ocean to remind us of how great life is, and the gentle breeze to remind us we are alive! It was perfect...


One of the 7 valleys. After Ironman we are planning a trip to hike all the valleys... its an ALL DAY LONG thing... maybe 2 days...today we drove (it's called taper??).

15 days...
Okay, off to bed...tomorrow is a cruisey easy ride, I can handle that!
.

18 comments:

t-odd said...

It certainly sounds like Hawaii loves you, too. My favorite pic? The one of you "highlighting" with a gray Crayola marker that I am going to assume you stole from Kainoa.

In the words of Mr. Miyagi - "Concentrate! Focus power!"

Robert Lejeune said...

Awesome pictures, I need to see Hawaii one day this place looks like paradise.

I think I would love Hawaii too!

Oscarjet said...

Bree, como me gusta tu blog !! las fotos son increibles...sueño con vivir unos años con mi familia en Hawaii, creo que es una isla para disfrutar de la tranquilidad con la familia.
Besos y abrazos !!!!

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Good to see you reading something. I guess with all the training there is not much time to do that. I hope the next two weeks go well for you and that you have the focus you need on race day. As for me, I haven't done much biking and running and it is beginning to show. I have put on about 10 lbs of weight since Kona and so am beginning to look like a bloated cat or maybe a humpback whale. Maybe I will need to fly to Kona to do some hill repeats with you.

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
IAN said...

I think I might have to be extending my post IM stay to hit all the places and hikes you keep adding to my list with these photos!!

MaryMaryMyers said...

Oh Bree, I am just so happy for you! I love your joy! : )
P&L!

D said...

Is Pablo your boyfriend? Aaaahahahahahahaha :)

MJ said...

Great job keeping everything on track... only two weeks to go and you seem to be in the perfect headspace.

That hike after sounds like a great way to unwind... beautiful!

Cheers,

Teresa said...

Love that you are "highlighting" with a grey marker! With such straight lines too! Glad you are focusing mentally! It will help a ton. It is often the missing link and you are doing it! Keep it up!

tn

Swimming for ME said...

Always jealous when I read you blog! Way to live Bree!

Kim said...

That looks amazing! The mind training sounds perfect and just like what you need. Way to stay out of the sun and keep that energy high and focused! You're almost there Bree! Way to hand on with the big boy bikers for a great ride!!

Coach Liz said...

Beautiful photos! I need a little jar of that black sand to put on my shelf with all of my other shells and beach rocks I have found on all of my travels. One of these days I will make it to Hawaii

Chloe said...

Yes! The hula girl :) Wonderful photos. Good luck getting your 'focus on' - feel free to share any tips you might come across!!

KO said...

Hey I just came across your blog, I love the look of it and the content, I myself and just starting triathlons, how did u get your blog to look so good??
kenny
www.apolicemanslife.com

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Great plan Bree! Love the photos too - I always feel happier after seeing your pics - you must inject them with happy juice :-)

Marni said...

You should have written...I love TAPER!!
What a cute pic of you and pablo! Keep staying healthy and happy and FOCUSED!!
-marn

Christi said...

Way to get focused!!! I will have to remember that kind of training for my mind!