Monday, September 21, 2009

Shaka Like This...

Life has been really beautiful in the Land Of Aloha... it's been a lot of training, a lot of smiles with friends, and a lot of learning. In fact, it was when I finally realized after 29 years that sometimes it's better to not fight the current, not feel the need to go against the rip tide, that often, it's better to just set sail in the direction of the wind and sea and go with the flow...
.
I told coach, "I'm sorry, you were right, I was wrong", and now I am a triathlon machine...just full bloom in sport, (of course sprinkled with my kind of balance that we agreed I could have). It's all good now. Really good. And September 30th it will be more fun because coach will be here to help me get ready for the big day. He said he will even run with me, (as in me run, him ride the bike next to me...).
Today was VERY cool. Kawika came over with a BUNCH of bananas fresh from his tree... that will turn into Weezle Bread and dehydrated bananas, woooohoooooo! Betty Crocker strikes again! Perfect timing as I need a few more bribes for the training partners :)

Today was also a record smashing day for SUPER MOM... I got Kainoa to school ON TIME today!! Of course I smelt like chlorine, but we made it! In the pool it was a smashing day too! I love my lane mates so so so so so much. It's always good times with them and today was great times. The main set was 25x100 free doing our goal pace. Monroe took the lead, Andy hot on his feet, then this momma, then Bruno from Belgium (we really like this new pro on the block), then Ben, Jason, and Pablo. Andy and I agreed to take the lead from Monroe when he started to "feel it". Andy took over, then it was my turn to lead, and it was just one of those days where they were cheering you on and you went with it. I was so happy to help pull in the pool and then discovered if I move really fast I can maybe catch Pablo (that happens when the lane is full)...I know, always some fun to be found....
Mahalo lanemates... I love you guys!!
More shaka shaking was yesterday's Peaman.... YES THE LOCAL BIATHLON! Coach let me race and it was of course the highlight of the weekend! Some camaraderie with the training partners in a low-key race setting is always exciting to me! Monroe & Andy are my challengers in the pool and we duked it out in the ocean yesterday... but yet again Andy swam to Maui with a crew including Pablo on his feet (gotta love when they go off course)... leaving Monroe, then Bruno the Belgium Pro, and I within draft distance of the high school fish, I mean boys.
.
This left me chasing only Bruno! The past few weeks Luis and Pablo have been giving me all their run help and I tried SO HARD to use it, (even if it is only a local race). I know very well Luis can easily run sub 5:30's for the 4 mile run (and he easily did), and I know Pablo can too, and he did. So I was just hoping for sub 6's and a big enough swim lead. Mile 2 Luis got me, mile 3 Pablo got me... The sub 6's happened and I smiled about all their help coming to good use...however it was no match for their 5:20 pace and I am convinced that my training partners will always be faster...Nice Job Boys!
.
From there it was play in the ocean (for only 20 minutes coach!!), then off to breakfast with some friends. Sundays are the greatest... and Sunday night got even better... we went on a sunset cruise! I LOVE LOVE LOVE being on the water, in the water, near the water... so this hit the spot!
It took 3 men to pull up a 140 pound marlin. I won't say how long, but it went from sunset to very dark by the time the marlin was on the boat and in ice. For sure it was a lot of laughs and good memories in the making. We were also greeted by the dolphins dancing in the boat wake-I LOVE them so much! Ben, Pablo, and I thought about jumping over board to play with them...maybe next time!
Kainoa had fun too, he liked poking the fish eye!! It was pretty exciting seeing him get all happy over this fish, it's by far the biggest he ever saw up close.
I liked the fish too... but the sunset captured my heart even more! What a night...
Today was an easier day. Training looks be getting a little less in load. Ironman is just around the corner and I can hardly wait!! I think Kainoa and I are off to watch the sunset...again tonight...
.
Aloha Ahiahi (night)!!
Bree
.

14 comments:

kerrie said...

save me some of that weezle bread :)!!!! two more weeks and we are there. i can hardly wait!!!!!

ADC said...

You really are a triathlon machine :)

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Thanks for sharing your adventures

Mel said...

Keep smiling and living life Bree....awesome, fun photos!!!!

Sherry said...

You are such a tough girl... with such a bright smile! Keep up the amazing work (and cooking), Chef Bree!!!

Cricket said...

Love the post and all the pictures- Your life is really coming together and it shows in your smiles:)
Love you and as always proud of you!
Aunt Cricket

Missy said...

Hahaha, my HS team mascot was the Marlin - the Mercy Marlins. Yep, we were a strong on the swimming and diving with a mascot like that!

BANANAS! I can't help it, I just think of Gwen Staffani.

t-odd said...

You can't wait for Ironman?! I can't wait and I will only be watching from the interwebs. My bookie says you have some long odds, but I told him, "Don't worry she'll cover the spread and the over/under." (Dang it! That sounded so naughty and it was not at all meant to. Oh, and any gamblers out there will see immediately I have no idea what I am talking about regarding gambling.)

Congratulations, too! Getting that kid to school on time is a big event. Don't make it a habit though cause then the novelty wears off. (Ha) He is a damn cute kid!

Keep working the plan!

Regina said...

Oh! Still have to try that weezle bread recipe. I promise soon...

Getting anywhere on time with a 3 y/o us ab accomplishment.

Took the hula girl out today for her inaugural ride. She is very good company! thanks!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Sweet bajeebas woman, we need to find you a guy when the dead fish starts looking good!! :0

Looks like the training may have peaked at the right time... you deserve it!!

Coach Liz said...

Is weezle bread anything like monkey bread? It sounds interesting.

Loved the picture of Kainoa poking the marlin's eye. My son would have done that at his age.

Your training partners are just goofy fast. GOOFY FAST!

Teresa said...

Gorgeous sunset! Love that you are going with the flow...that is the best with Ironman right around the corner. Coach will be so proud of you and your uber-dedication! I think you should make him run a bit with you!

tn

Mama Simmons said...

I just showed the pics on your blog to Moana (she's almost 11 months) and she totally smiled and laughed at the dolphins! I think she might also have a little crush on Kainoa... :) I told her she'll get to go to Kona soon and see that sunset in person... thanks for the inspiration! :)

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Kainoa is such a cutie-pie!