Saturday, October 3, 2009

7 Days...

Today, all day long, is ONE week till the BIG DANCE. It was a really good day. Kainoa and I took our usual Saturday walk across the street and to the pier...very nice. The crowds were in full bloom, compression socks of every rainbow color, speedos with less material than my underwear, and of course running shoes that look like they came from the 1980's, gosh triathletes look like a bunch of nerds! But I do indeed L.O.V.E this time of year!

Coach Paul is also EVERYWHERE, at least it feels that way. My friends are scared. He has shown up to all my pool swims and now my team won't talk to me, they fear him. He rode 15 miles on a bike next to me while I ran (holding my heart rate), and push-pull-tugging me through my last challenging run Thursday. This morning I chased his kayak, then ran Energy Lab ins-and-outs with his hoots and hollers. He reminds to "get home", "get sunscreen", "get hydrated". I can't believe I am about to confess this, but I like it! I have worked SO SO SO HARD this season, trained my best, rested my best, and played my best. However, I have yet to put anything together because of "balancing" my play time and most all my races have left me boooo-hoooooing. Now, he is here to help me not mess it up (because taper weeks are the BEST time to mess up all that hard work and I am usually good at that). THIS time, NO. Today the pier was the most crowded yet. Every AMIGO from EVERYWHERE was there. My friend calls it "eye candy", she likes it better than Christmas time! It is a lot of culture, a lot of different languages, a lot of attitude, and a lot of fun! Sort of. For me it's practice learning to stay in my own zone. Usually I avoid the traffic, this year I am trying to dip my toes in it that way on race day I am not a complete mess seeing it for the first time. A little exposure...
Today's swim was another beautiful one, not that you can tell by this horrific foto coach took. Sheeesh, it's called FOCUS, like you are teaching me to do...
The Corbinator and I...

Since I have been banned from the beach during the day, a few sunsets have landed in the palm of my hands. A group of us even had dinner in the dark at the beach one evening! In fact, most adventures have been dinners...the Argentina amigos cooked dinner for Kainoa and I last night...
I am also STILL very convinced that Marino "Bink" is very cool. I'm still in that "cool, a nice pro, let's get a foto with them (or autograph) phase". The total nerd in me still has not worn off.
AND in "food news", WE FINALLY got frozen goji berries at KNF!!! They cost more then gas, but they are amazing and my recovery smoooooothies never tasted so good and healthy!
And ALL those missing hair ties from this season were discovered... on my water bottles! Every water bottle I own has a few wrapped around it...
My favorite hangout is still Bike Works, some things never change, I was there 2x today...
IN SUPER cool news, I finally met Erik in REAL life! One of my best sponsors (K-Swiss) has arrived on the rock! I also got to meet up with Guy from Blue Seventy (and LOVE the new fast skin). Catching up with them is a real treat as this entire season has been made possible because of my supporters! UNBELIEVABLE people! Tomorrow the Argon 18 crew arrives...wooohooo!Oh, back to K-Swiss, they put their athletes on the menu at Lava Java... so now you can go have your favorite triathlete for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. I had Lieto yesterday....ha ha ha! Granger is going down tomorrow!
That's all I got. This taper thing doesn't lead for much of an exciting life, unless I sit at the pier ALL DAY and people watch, that could be a TON of fun writing... however, that is also the beach and coach would find me and kill me... so life for me has been movies and feet up. I have officially watched 50 First Dates 50 times and Madagascar (for Kainoa) at least 20.
.
Good Night from an island filled with speedos and compression socks!
Bree

17 comments:

Marni said...

My water bottles look the same way. I laugh when Karel is racing and I see him sipping a bottle with pink hair ties on it :) I LOVE the names of the items on the menu. Looks yummy!
your pics make me want to be there..so much energy, you will do great!
-marn

Sherry said...

I swear, I can totally feel the Kona energy coming off of the computer screen. It's thrilling!!!

GO, BREE!!!!!

Ange said...

ahhh,my heart is racing. I hop on the plane tomorrow.
you're gonna rock and I get to see it! woohoo

Libby said...

hey bree-
been following you along this season, love your blog. Gotta chime in that I'm so excited for you. You are going to rock it and I can't wait to follow you online!! Best of luck to you and enjoy taper week!

Jamie said...

Hey, there is nothing wrong with geeking out and asking to have your picture taken with Pros. :-)

Missy said...

I'm still a huge geek! I'll forever be a geek, I'm certain of it. So very exciting. I would just love to be there..right now would be my kind of vacation.

Regina said...

Kona is going to be "crackalackin"! (in homage to your-Kainoa's really-movie watching).

I'm feeling the energy all the way on the east coast. Love the menu items. Wonder if they deliver?

Jenna said...

Lots of energy!! Sounds like very entertaining people watching and eye candy. I so wish I could be sitting down near the action taking it all in.... enjoy your time out of the sunshine, bank all that time out f it so you can really shine come the Big Dance!!! Whhhooooot whooot!!!

Chloe said...

Ahhh...the eye candy! I can't wait until this time next month here in Panama City Beach!! I'll have to work on my stealthy I-phone photo skills!!


Does Lava Java deliver? Lieto for breakfast? Yes please!

Oscarjet said...

7 days !!wow !! :DDDDD
i will send you energy every day for the big dance...
i looking forward to see you racing !!
Big hug AMIGA !!!

LizE said...

Please never lose that "total nerd" in you. It's what makes you so charming and likable! You're one of my favorite pro's because of it :)

Mama Simmons said...

Love that Lava Java menu! Can't wait to see you out there, Bree! :)

Caroline said...

Can't wait to pack it up and get to the rock tomorrow! Hope to see you amongst the craziness this week!! And would love to hit the town with you post race :)
Wow...less than a week!

Coach Adam said...

Bree,
So bummed I couldn't co-host when you were interviewed on www.triathletescoffeeshop.com. I finally got around to listening to it today on my run. Your passion and energy is contagious. One suggestion: It's ok to troll around as the social dog with your supportive pack, but come race day, finding your feline side will help you to treat everyone else out there as irrelevant to your own experience. Focus on you! You'll be great!
-Adam
twitter.com/coachadam

KO said...

Hey,
Kenny here, I am new to the triathlon world, I was looking for a site that had alot of triathletes blogs on it, I couldn't find it so I started putting one together....
I have your site there, if you don't want it there let me know..

Thanks
Kenny

www.triathlonblogs.blogspot.com

Yasi said...

Madagascar is a great movie. I watched Finding Nemo 6 times in one day a few years ago because my baby sister absolutely loved it.

Coach Liz said...

All of my hair bands are on the stick shift of my car. I never thought of putting them on my water bottles. You look like you are having a great time. Enjoy this last week!