Monday, October 12, 2009

It's All Good...

Today my head is spinning as if a few coconuts landed on it (and not because of the K-Swiss Party last night). Life is back full swing ahead and it is a beautiful place to be. When you pour your heart and soul into something you really care about and you wake up the next day wishing to do it all over again it really helps having "more to life". I'm not mad about how my Ironman unfolded, even if (to me) it was darn ugly, I just really want to do it again right now because I still feel so ready to go...but like I said, there is more to life and that "more in life" makes it easier to embrace the "other days" in life...

I love racing... good day, bad day, I love it. Ironman day was a day that the love I have for my sport was the only reason I kept going even though it wasn't the way I wanted to go...
The emotional swim start, simply put-AMAZING! Being part of something so big is beautiful!
And of course the emotional finish... the start and finish are always good spots, it's all the places in between that really define us as we have to battle, wrestle, and ride through all that happens between the two points...As a matter of fact, my last mile was a 6:50, what the piss I thought to myself, I was ready and I-BREE WEE messed up in between my start and finish...
And like my mom always tells me, "Where the ocean meets the sky, I'll be sailing". I think it's from some 80's song. BUT she is right, a post race trip to the beach hit the spot!
20 of us planned to have a picnic, 10 of us actually showed up... it was refreshing to have more than the "20 minutes" coach was allowing me pre race... beach days make EVERYTHING better! Summer never ends in Hawaii...
To keep the laughter on full force we even broke out a few games of MASH. Pat is going to marry LeAnn! A few of us cheated and played over and over until we got our dream life... I am pretty sure I am already living mine...

Lava fields are a girls best friend and the perfect football field! ha ha ha... what a way to remind ourselves that there are far better good days then a day that didn't go as planned...
If you think playing catch on a lava field it absolutely dangerous, you should have seen the evening... It started with awards, then rain, then the K-Swiss post Ironman party, and from there, my lips are sealed and pictures are deleted from the camera. (it's for your protection, not mine).
Okay, back to Pablo's Ironman (because it will remind you that if you think your Ironman (or life) is rough, someone always has it a little more challenging) After a solid swim and a 5hour ride this is where Pablo landed, covered in vomit...It was ugly and smelly (not that I saw it till the fotos).
But he got lucky, at mile marker 23 he found a chair from an old beat up car on the side of the road, nice for napping??! If you can read Spanish his story is here.
Kona town is calm again. Most people have taken a flight back to wherever they came from. Some with awards and fantastic new records to celebrate. Others with a broken heart and a bad sun burn. At the end of it all, it really is good to have more to life...
.
K-Swiss makes good shoes and good parties...
Bree
.

28 comments:

Red Rock Chica @ Red Rock World said...

Hi Bree...you did great!!! :-)
The best part: you have the incredible gift of being able to kcik butt out there (worldclass athlete...you rock!!), chick tons of guys...AND keep a smile on your face, friends by your side and great perspective in your pocket! Cant wait to watch you just keep getting better AND making us all smile. Cheers chica...red rock

Oscarjet said...

Gracias por las fotos ! me encanta la del beso a la tortuga...!!
Me impresiono mucho ver a Pablo...un abrazo para él !!!!Finisher macanudo !!
Abrazos Bree,sigue sonriendo !!!

D said...

Oh, poor Pablo. But (so far) he has won the award for the best race photos!!! And good to see him smiling the day after ;)

Marni said...

Hope Pablo is doing better! Looks comfy on the side of the road, however.
Congrats again. You have many more races in you to achieve your dreams!
-marni

Libby said...

hope pablo is feeling ok. poor guy! Even though it didn't go as planned, I love your attitude and 18th pro at your first professional IM is pretty amazing to me. Looking forward to following your progress in the future, you will have that amazing breakthrough race you are capable of and blow everyone away. In the mean time, I enjoy following your fun exploits in hawaii!!! congrats again and here's to the future :) cheers!

tri-ing races not cases said...

Bree. Even on your tough days you are an inspiration to lots of us. Your positive and tough attitude and love for this sport is contagious. Love the photos. Hope Pablo is recovering.

LeAnn said...

oh man...I miss you guys.

ShirleyPerly said...

Just catching up on you after a big training weekend that did not go as well as I'd hoped and am loving those words "there's more in life." So true ...

Congrats on a strong IM finish despite your bike bottle mishap. You are a ROCK STAR in my book regardless of what goes right or wrong in a race. Love you and hope to see you in December!!

Regina said...

Poor Pablo. How in the world did you (he) manage to get those photos?!

Despite you feeling disappointed about your race I, for one, am thoroughly impressed. I think a big CONRATULATIONS is in order. Nice to see you enjoying the spoils of victory the next day.

By the way, that line your mom always says is from a Rod Stewart song called "Rhythm of My Heart". Yep, from the 80's.

Christi said...

Poor Pablo! I hope that he is feeling better!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

OH crap!! Pablo looks dead!! I hope he is alright (because I can't read Spanish)

Dead swordfish and now a live turtle... I truly think you can do better Bree.. :)

and... I hope I look as great as you do the day after IMFL. My goal is a beer on the beach with the ability to actually walk that evening.

oh, and the K Swiss, I love mine!!

Deborah said...

I watched your finish on universalsports. Loved the bow at the finish back to the spectators? the course? Right about the time you finished a man crossed then picked up his child and carried her back to the finish and didn't *quite* recross the line with her but sort of leaned back so she could see the arch... interesting technique.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Big fun and beautiful thoughts Bree!

t-odd said...

OMG - the pics of Pablo are hilarious. Horrible looking, but hilarious. I hope he got a tetanus shot after lying on that old car seat. (I am glad he can smile after that - he actually finished pretty well.)

Endurance athletes must have the shortest memories in the world. We always want to turn around and brutalize ourselves again and again. I LOVE IT!

Great race, great pics! Take a nap, will ya?

Kelly said...

Bree, I watched in awe on Saturday. Top 20 is totally inspiring, and I know you will just get higher from there!! Have a great break!!

Jill Costantino said...

OMG Pablo WTH! The poor guy, I hope the person who took the photos offered to help him.
I LOVE that you want to get right back out and do it again. You will have your opportunity and many more. You are by far one of the BEST athletes to watch, because you are SOOOOOO much more than just an Ironman Triathlete. As much as you are thankful to have have your sponsors, I'm sure they feel the same if not more that they have you!
Take full advantage of your BEACH Days!

greyhound said...

K-Swiss makes good parties? No pictures means it didn't happen.

BTW, I threw a post out there about my upcoming swim conditions if you want to weigh in after a right proper rest.

Speed Racer said...

read Pablo's RR. effing HILARIOUS! Thanks for sharing.

Renee said...

Enjoy the sun Bree! You did great and enjoy life again. You are fantastic!

TriGirl Kate O said...

I can't believe he was able to get through the whole thing if, as he says, he was unable to keep anything down after 2 hrs on the bike. Ouch. I hope he got a couple of IVs at the finish line, and a couple of beers later (MUCH later!) Congrats on your finish. Damn, girl, you rock!

Kim said...

looks like you have the best time out there no matter what happens. congratulations on a really strong showing! and geez, poor pablo - hope hes feeling better now!

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Still an excellent race, and no need to be disappointed about it. I had hoped that you might make the top ten, but there's always the next time. I always used to think that the women's race was "easy" compared to the men's - but no longer. Chrissie and Mirinda and others are constantly raising the bar.

Maria said...

Bree...wow, you are a fighter...way to push through the race...It's been so great reading all about your training towards this race--what an awesome journey you've had... I hope that next years' is even better :o) Congrats on conquering Kona once again...

Coach Liz said...

Poor Pablo! What is kind of amazing is that while he is napping at mile 23 the sun is still up. It would be dark if I was passed out at mile 23. What an challenge that must have been for him.

You are a fighter! Many of us will never get to where you are in the sport and we respect all of the hard work that you have put in over this last year. Things always happen for a reason and there must be a race out there in the future that you are destined to win and what you dealt with on Saturday will be the fuel to your fire to take you to the next level.

Now it is time to kick back with your kiddo, swim with the dolphins, and have a burrito!

Haley Cooper said...

. . . and some with just really ugly tri-short tan lines that will last all winter who then get to spend the night in the san fransico airport because someone forgot to remove the tow bar from the plane before we started to taxi . . . you're so lucky that you get to stay put. good luck with whatever is next!

Dolphin Boy said...

What's all this poor Paublo stuff? What about me? I gotta marry LeAnn? come on B- you have to announce this to everyone? I'm glad you find this amusing!!
Silly chica...

Tawnee said...

Congrats, I loved seeing you racing! You looked great, no matter hoe you were feeling.

And is was lovely meeting you at the K-Swiss party. That was quite a party... stoked I got to be a part of it!

I miss Kona already... I want to move there.

Ange said...

oh no poor Pablo!!! You know I saw that seat there! I remember "running" by it thinking,"is that a car seat?" oooooh...poor guy.
Your party sounds fun....Had a great time in Kona--that race is all about the experience I think. I love reading about yours..
great job