Saturday, October 17, 2009

Kainoa & Bree's Excellent Adventure...

It's amazing, simply amazing. Each and every time I have a mindful of things that need my attention I get a rainbow! I am absolutely positive it is God's way of telling me that EVERY LITTLE THING will be okay and that I have to follow my heart...have some faith...and trust...
.
Today, Kainoa and I got 6 rainbows on our excellent adventure around the island! Perhaps every little thing will be alright... Today I looked at my son different than I have ever looked at him. He is growing into a little person before my eyes. Once the little poop machine that had me covered in spit up and crying over milk in the middle of the night, he is now my best friend. Today was so different, rather than "dragging him along on my adventures" he was with me, next to me, front seat, holding my hand, my partner in crime.
.
We were like real friends, buddies, chums, pals! He kept me company, we had real conversation, we laughed at jokes, I told him all about when he was little and how challenging motherhood was for me, but that it was so worth it to have him in this life and I would never change a thing...
About 2 hours into our trip, almost to Hilo, we meet a man needing a ride, I am sure many of you reading are cringing to even consider picking up a stranger...I'm not sure why but I love to pick them up. In college I once read that helping strangers you are really entertaining angels...besides, I am pretty sure my driving & singing keeps them fearing me more than I should fear them. So we make friends with "Kee-lee-ahu", not sure how to spell it, it's Hawaiian for something like, "with God". He was cool, he said he held his breath when I took corners on 2 wheels and he enjoyed stopping 4 times to take rainbow pictures...we got him safely to his place in the world...
The views around the island were breath taking. Everyday I remind myself to take nothing for granted and what I see everyday is part of that... it still takes my breath away and sharing this life and these views with Kainoa makes it even better. I want to teach him to appreciate the simple life, loving and caring for others, and enjoying life as it is without asking for more than we are given...

Kainoa getting comfy, "Mom, we don't need slippers for this right?"
Kainoa reading his "map". "Mom, we have to take the next left...."
Kainoa making a list of all the places we should stop, "Mom, we have to stop at the waterfalls, the beach, the farmers market, every fruit stand, stop to look at horses on the side of the road, get out in the rain in Waimea, and count tractors..."
"Mom, can I eat all the fruit we buy before we get it home?"
"Oh Mom, stop that horrible singing now, mom PLEASE, this is embarrassing"
"Mom, I need a little nap, 7 hours is a long drive..."
Me and Kainoa, the open road, a Saturday with nothing to do but spend the day together around the island. No watch, no plan, just cruising...
A stretch break, we wrote names with coral on the side of the road...

One of 4 bathroom breaks...he goes more than my grandma!
"Mom, I have a BRILLIANT idea, YOU give me your camera, it is my turn to take pictures!" This is when I discover Kainoa really is totally a little me...he LOVES taking photos just as much. After an hour we were fighting over the camera like brother and sister! 73 fotos later he got 2 of something other than my knee...

Nice job son! I think I know what to get you for Christmas...
About a 1/4 of a Saturday later we found this! (see above). I know, a new taco place! I LOVE Hawaii... I already made reservations! wooooohoooooo! Well, I can't let this post let you all think I am SUPER MOM just yet, it's still a work in progress for me, I'm still trouble...
See, skinny dipping still happens, sort of...
.
Kainoa, thank you for the best day! Good night from Kona, go entertain some angels!
Bree
.

14 comments:

Lynn said...

I was on the Big Island last June/July so LOVE looking at your pictures! FUN, FUN island!

Regina said...

Since my son and yours are about the same age, I completely understand your sentiments. You just look at them one day and they suddenly seem so grown. They're capable if holding a conversation and enjoying things with you.

I'm trying to really cherish these moments before he turns into a moody teenager that wants me to drop him at the corner so his friends don't see him with his mom.

Glad you two had such a great day.

Leah said...

Love this! I feel the same way about my daughter. I can't believe how blessed I am to have her as my friend. You look so happy in the picture Kainoa took. :)

Oscarjet said...

Cuantas ganas de hacer lo mismo con nuestro BB !! que bonito dia Bree.....que bonito ! besos y abrazos !!

Melissa said...

Beautiful pics and lots of fun Bree! Have you heard the G Love song "Rainbow"? What you say about the rainbows you saw made me think of that song, check it out! My fav song, brings tears to my eyes b/c of the most spiritual r'bow I saw years ago. :-)

Yasi said...

I love your outlook on life and your constant positive energy. Kainoa sure is lucky to have you as a mother, and he will grow up to be just as wonderful as you!

Charisa said...

LOVE that you picked up the hitch hiking man and got him to his destination! Your son will grow up with so many wonderful memories - keep enjoying it all!

Heidi Austin said...

awww you two are adorable! Un-planned adventures are always the best... But keep up the good work~ you a are a great mom!

Scott said...

Hawaii state law requires that all children under age four be restrained in a federally approved child safety seat. A new law, in effect as of January 1, 2007, requires that children ages four through seven ride in a booster seat or car seat any time they are in a vehicle. The only exceptions are for children taller than 4'9" or those riding in vehicles with lap-only seatbelts in rear seats.

BreeWee said...

Dear Scott, Please look at the foto where Kainoa is coloring (making his list). You can clearly see a child safety booster, 100% leagal in the state of Hawaii, bought in the state of Hawaii, appoved by the state of Hawaii and leagal to have in the front seat (I asked a cop) AS LONG AS THE FRONT AIR BAG IS OFF, and it is. Thanks for your concern, I'm no super mom just yet but I know what a child seat is and YES HE IS 40lbs and leagal for it- asked a police friend of mine that one too... just wondering, have you ever driven while on the phone or texting or looking at a map (that means your eyes are reading not looking at the road), well, then you have to worry about that and not my 3 year old in his Hawaii booster seat.
Cheers!

Coach Liz said...

What an excellent adventure! Sometimes having no schedule and no plan yields the best experience. Be prepared for more excellent adventures as Kainoa gets a few years older and you two can ride bikes. My best adventure with my son was doing a 40 mile bike ride in Austin, TX when he was 8.

Bob said...

Nice bum.

Monica Kvas said...

Awwwww, what a great post Bree! Kainoa is getting so big!

MJ said...

It's awesome when kids get old enough to become "partners" on days like this.... Sounds like fun!!