Monday, November 2, 2009

Another Day, Another Sandcastle...

I have discovered a sandcastle pretty much sums up the past few weeks/months of my life. It was all sorts of building up for Ironman, stacking loads of training, decorating with some amazing moments, some digging deep, some smoothing out the surface, a lot of focus and attention to my castle. Much like a giant wave that comes in the night to wash over the castle, Ironman came and went like the sweeping of the sea over the sand. It's kind of funny, but it is so similar. What's left is a bit of a mess, sand clumps here and there, and other clumps that were swept out to sea. So Ironman is over (the castle is down), and some clumps are here and there (my everyday life in Kona), and some parts are out to sea (the friends from other states/countries that went home).
.
At first it was a little sad. I enjoy the building of a castle so much, I am beyond thankful that my life gets to spend so much time training and enjoying all sport has to offer. Then it was back to reality, looking at the clumps of a wave crashed castle (or seeing all the things I neglected, like cleaning my house, mail, chores, ect.). The most difficult was knowing some chunks washed out to sea (as some friends went home and others on the island had to get back to their lives too).

.
Today feels the most normal life has been in months, literally months. The town is back to it's little small coconut wireless vibe (except for a handful of pros here training for IM Cozumel and IM OZ), and my mail is almost all stamped and in the mail box. The hardest part is missing all the get together's we had morning-noon-and night. Everything is quiet again. This has left me with a lot of time to stop and smell the plumerias...
Yesterday was our Mango Post Ironman Triathlon... it was fun as ever to smash your local friends into the lane lines and tug on feet. Of course, some things never change, I was not allowed to play with IM Cozumel coming... however... I just happened to be at the pier that morning. Coach said to ride a mountain bike for 2hrs. I don't have a mountain bike...so I jumped in and did the swim, far left, swimming with the Mango crew is exactly like a mountain bike wipe out, you get smashed on all sides!
Today my sporting life feels more normal too. I got to jump back into action with the Kona Aquatics where my lane mates had me laughing till my sides ache. Even after all the Ironman frenzy went home the lanes are still filled with 7-8 people. The highlight was Andy saying next workout he would be doing pedicures, since he was on feet all morning anyways... and Jason slacking and asking if I have a matching purse to go with my pink cap... it was so good to be part of their nonsense.
.
From there it was a nice longish run. However I could not take myself seriously with the neon 1980's nail polish left on from Halloween (note to self: remove before Mexico). And of course, a little recovery at the beach... where someone (no names) was having a bit more of a struggle then me getting back to life post-Ironman! ha ha ha, not sure the umbrella ever opened!
The sun is now down... another day and night on the beach and another sandcastle (IM Cozumel), is being built in my life...
.
Que duermas bien! (Sleep well)...
Bree

8 comments:

ADC said...

Sand castles? Interesting but kind of makes sense. Have fun building that Mexican castle.

Ordinarylife said...

Very good analogy!

Good Luck building the next one.

Kim said...

Love the comparision and the way you're looking at this season and what's to come. Just think of the sandcastles yet to be built.. they will be even more elaborate and detailed than the one from this year! Loved your costumes - Elmo was sooo cute! Enjoy you're little break from the structure! Excited to see you race in IM Coz.

Regina said...

The thing about sandcastles is they are so fragile, so listen to your coach!! lol. Great metaphor.

beautiful pics once again, making me wish I was there instead of here. Well, at least it's fall, my favorite season.

Good luck building up!

PS: halloween photos are up

Pedergraham said...

Wonderful metaphor. That one has stuck with me all day!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Love the sandcastle metaphor. You write beautifully.

Trishie said...

The sandcastle analogy is a good one. I hope I get to meet you in Cozy! (I told my husband that you commented on my blog -- I was so excited!)

CoachLiz said...

Thank you for the reminder to change the toenail polish before Mexico. Mine is all chipped and ugly.