Monday, November 9, 2009

Dare To Dream...

This is dedicated to all the kids that said, "When I grow up I want to be a veterinarian". That is what I wanted to be. Really bad. Remember in 3rd grade when the teacher handed you a paper and said to draw a picture of you in the future, you can be anything, and to write why you wanted to be that or do that...
.
It's funny, as 3rd graders we got all excited and started shouting around the class wild and crazy dreams! Doctor, movie star, astronaut, teacher, professional football player, ballerina. We wanted those dreams and we believed we could have them, no matter what, nothings impossible. Of course our little 3rd grade minds didn't logically think about going to college, paying for college, having the talent to do certain professions, nothing stood in our way. However, one day, somewhere from 3rd grade to whenever the dream ended we changed our minds. Not necessarily us, maybe someone else changed our minds. We were laughed at, or told we would never have that much money for college, we ended up changing our minds, or life just dealt us a different path. In my case, the Math and me didn't get along, so I made a few changes, to Marine Biologist, to Child Psychologist, to finally a school teacher...



Maybe our teachers knew all along that what were dreaming about would not be as simple as we imagined, but at that age they taught us to dream and to reach for goals, even if the goals land us somewhere else.
.
Yesterday one of my friends made a comment about this "kissing the dolphin" foto, he said, "In my world that would be impossible". Okay, so he doesn't live in Hawaii, it might be more challenging, but not impossible. Then I got another message, "Bree, I want to move to Hawaii and become an Elite Triathlete, can you tell me what I need to do?" He was serious as serious could be, no joking, he was like a 3rd grader who just decided he wanted to move and toss away his accounting job to race triathlon. I'm not sure he was considering all that happens when you move states, let go of a consitant paycheck, or where his sporting talent might or might not be. He just wrote me the note (like I was the 3rd grade teacher). Brave my friend, very brave...and I admire that! As an adult he is daring to dream!

Today, I am going to pretend I am in 3rd grade (however, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my life, no changes wanted), but for the sake of daring to dream, I am redoing my assignment to my 3rd grade teacher. Mrs. Woodward, here ya go...
.
When I grow up I really want to be a mermaid. It's my dream to spend most my day underwater diving deep and chasing fish. I want to race the sharks, swim with sea turtles, and explore in coral caves. I'd be fine with eating seaweed and fish everyday too. I want to watch the sunrise and set over the ocean and hide from boats. And one day I want to kiss a dolphin in hopes he will turn into my prince charming. Today after swim practice (in the pool), a group of us went to the ocean for a second swim. All swim long I couldn't help but wish I could spend all day there and hold my breath for as long as I wanted. Looking back at my feet I noticed they are still feet. Maybe this life in Hawaii is as close as I will get to becoming a mermaid, but you better believe next time I bump into my 3rd grade teacher I'll be sure to tell her I changed my mind, I want to grow up to be a mermaid....
.
Keep dreaming!
Bree
PS..... if you have a crazy ocean habit like me & need a new swimsuit, SPLISH is having a major Friday the 13th sale! Check it out!! Get a new suit


.

14 comments:

Erika said...

Love this post!!! You do look like a mermaid! :-)

ADC said...

But you are a mermaid.

Ordinarylife said...

I am sure glad my 3rd Grade dream did not come true. I wanted to be a long distance truck driver....

I think I would also like a do-over. What would I say now?

Randy said...

Cool post Bree! If you're going to dream, dream big, right?

Oscarjet said...

hehe...i´m 36 years old....but i wanna be veterinarian........
nice post...nice first pic.
adios!

Missy said...

You know what, I DID dare to dream and it happened, I made it happen. It may only happen once and may never happen again but I worked at it and got 'it.' You gotta dream or life would be so dang boring...

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Missy dreamed of stepping on the podium and if you didn't hear about her B2B race this weekend, the dream became reality.

I used to dream of Kona, but those dreams have changed. Now it is to do one IM per year until I can't anymore, and when that "can't" comes... step back and re-analyze because the "can't" word is way over used.

Kat said...

I love this post- thanks for sharing! I'm getting my Ph.D. in child clinical psychology, but as an ultrarunner and triathlete I often wonder if I should switch to sports psychology or kinesiology. Then I think back to my third grade dream of being a doctor or a teacher or anyone who could help someone and I remember very quickly that my #1 priority is to make a difference in someone's life- something I can do as a clinical psychologist. Not to say that I couldn't help someone PR or overcome a mental block if I switched careers, but to me it is most rewarding to help understand adolescent drug addiction and how it can be prevented. Thanks for reminding me why I love what I do :)

Jill Costantino said...

Hopefully I am not embarrassing myself too much when I write - keu ā ka uʻi; nani kōkī - math was my strong subject in school! Dare to Dream!

CoachLiz said...

I guess in 3rd grade I wanted to be a ballarina. I danced for years and even had toe surgery on both feet because I mangled them up. Something about moving to Texas mid-way through high school changed me into an athlete. The pool, the swimming, the competitiveness of it all.

There were things that distracted me from time to time, but today I am a jock and I LOVE IT. I get to make money working out and making other people sweat. I get to wear spandex and Cool Max every day and I don't have to wear cosmetics or style my hair other than to pull it back in a pony tail.

My dream now would to be still running, pedaling my bike, and jumping in the pool when my grandkids are old enough to join me. I guess that means I better get over to Splish and get me new suit because I am going to be swimming for quite some time.

Gotta go with the Koi Sunset one!

Trishie said...

My third grade dream was to be a paleontologist (I had to look up how to spell that!). Now I'm a prosecutor and I love my job.. I love that I get to help people - both victims AND defendants - and make a difference where I live.

I would, however, like to swim to dolphins too :)

gearcheck said...

I have so much respect for people who are living their dream - no matter how silly it may sound to others. My wife does and she's my hero because of it. My dream: to one day live my dream...

Cheers, Dan Robertson

Yasi said...

I wish I could re-do my career path! Being a mermaid would be so fun.
Thanks for the heads up on Splish! I was literally looking at one of my Splish suits about an hour ago thinking that I should get a new one, but until I read this I forgot that I said that and never went on the site! Maybe getting a new suit will also give me more inspiration to keep at it in the pool during off season!

Samantha said...

Great pics....Great blog!!!