Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A Different Holiday...

Today was just a run, but it was a really good one. After pretty much very little or no training for 3 weeks, a run of ONE FULL hour was on the plan and it felt SO GOOD to go. Dear Training, I've missed you! I'm so ready to get going again...the bikini's are getting way too tight! And there are so many new fun looking races all over the map for 2010! Patience Bree, patience...enjoy the recovery just a little longer...
.

I've been packing away for Nicaragua. That lead me to browsing a friend of a friends fotos of Nicaragua, near the city I'm going, however he only had fotos of the towns and homes. The images he captured didn't surprise me and I'm not expecting a first class trip to a beautiful resort. I signed up for life with the locals and after being reassured they are happy to have me and I'd be safe, (including to run and swim and borrow a bike), I trust them...
Managaua, the bus stop that will take me to San Juan Del Sur....
A view of a local family's kitchen...
A living room...
Bus from Costa Rica, how lovely, a short 20 minute bus ride to Costa Rica
.
Kainoa helped me with more packing today. We started to pack things for the children. I appreciate all the offers (including you Claudia), to send me with clothes and things for adults, however, this trip is just for the kids... school supplies, tooth brushes, books, clothes. Kainoa keeps begging to go. He loves to see the fotos and it makes me smile how he does not even recognize that they have on no shoes and their clothes are dirty with holes. He just sees their smiles. He wants to go share all his books too. And the kitchens and bathrooms, he just notices they have a sink, not that it's so small and very simple. I hope he never loses that sense of appreciation and his big heart. I promised him when he gets a little older he can come with me to share with all the children...he would love it.
.
Today Kainoa was home sick from school. I've never seen so much throw up in my life. To make him feel better we celebrated Christmas today! We turned on the Christmas lights, opened the gifts under the tree, even the stockings! We stayed in pajamas most the day too. It was perfect.
His only adventure out of the house was Taco Tuesday and Orange Tree with the Kiwi boys, Dave, and Wendy. Oh we gave everyone a show... Tacos everywhere! Orange Tree didn't go any better...
Wendy did her best to let Kainoa know it's okay... he was so happy to be out of the house and around friends after being inside with mom all day. However, his tummy wasn't ready for burritos. I blame the Kiwi's.
.
Kainoa is now sleeping so peaceful, this will be a Christmas holiday I will never forget...
Happy Holidays!!
.
Bree.

14 comments:

Missy said...

Poor buddy! The ick is so bad right now. I feel for him. I lost 5lbs recently on the get the ick diet.

Amazing pictures. I'm very interested in that bus ride...

Amanda said...

Can't wait to hear about your adventure. You have such a big heart!

Good vibes to Kainoa to get rid of that bug. Ick!

Coach Liz said...

The amazing thing about being a parent is that you can handle your kid's barf and other bodily excretions without a shudder and with compassion and caring.

Anyone else's barf and poop is gag inducing! I cannot understand how so many people could not hit the target in the port-o-cans in Cozumel. Gag!

chr15 said...

I was gonna joke about how it wasn't fair to blame the New Zealander's for the cardinal visiting poor little Kainoa. Thinking you meant that he'd eaten too many of the little furry buggers, kiwi's and burrito's, i'd have blamed the mexican's everytime.

Awesome work with kid's Bree! :)

Jill Costantino said...

ahhh - hope your little Dude is feeling better soon.

you trip sounds fantastic - and it is so great that Kainoa wants to go a long.

Merry Early Christmas to you both!

NJ said...

Poor little guy!

Your pics make me feel a bit homesick for Mexico. When I was 9, we lived down there for a while doing mission work in Catemaco - about a 3 day drive from the Texas border. The people were happy even with so little. The pictures look just like a home we went for dinner on a few occasions. 16 people lived in this tiny one room hut but they were so happy! Have fun on your adventure...I can't wait to hear more about it!

Nibbles said...

Bree,

How generous of you to give so much to the Nicaraguan kids. I hope you have a wonderful trip, and also that Kainoa feels better soon. Those pics are gross. Poor buddy.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Sure hope the little guy is feeling better today - it sucks to be sick.

Love your Nicaraguan plan!

Regina said...

Ok, that last photo...I think I dry heaved.

I hope the little man is feeling better. I think it's great he is so altruistic at such a young age.

D said...

That poor kid gets sick way too much! It's like he has the immune system of an Ironman ;)

t-odd said...

The stomach bug is the worst. I absolutely hate to throw up. I have gotten better about being around people throwing up - kids'll do that to you.

Have a safe and fun trip.

Jessi said...

Nicaragua - my most favorite country to visit ever. Spent some time in Granada and then took the bus to San Juan del Sur, except it was first a bus to Rivas, and I can still picture the driver hanging out the door of his bus yelling "Rivas! Rivas! Rivas!", and then 6(!!) of us in a cab to Playa Maderas. Love Nicaragua!! Have fun! Oh, and happy birthday. :)

Christi said...

I hope Kainoa gets better real soon!

Laura from NY said...

What an exciting adventure. Can't wait to read your blog posts about the trip to Nicaragua and what it's like living and training there. Buen viaje!