Thursday, December 31, 2009

Here We Go Again...


Last night in Nicaragua I was walking home and I heard a little girl say, "Un arco iris", in English, "a rainbow". Never in my life have I seen a rainbow in the night sky! There it was, just like the ones in the day sky, a real rainbow going from moon to cloud! It was the most beautiful display of colors ever in an evening sky! That little girl was beyond beautiful for noticing such a sky at night. And I was beyond thankful to see it, rainbows always remind me that at the end of everything, storm, hard day, tears, comes something beautiful...New Year was barely here yet and the start of it was already amazing!
.
A few hours of sleep, up with the chickens, my last morning in Nicaragua was here. The tooth brush, tooth paste, KSwiss slippers and run shoes left behind, my bag 12 pounds lighter, it was time to go. My Nica mom and I sat waiting for Victor (the school bus driver) to take me to the airport. He was naturally over 20 minutes late, on Nica time. Tears flowed saying goodbye to my Nica family, they were beyond words amazing in so many ways. Already I was missing school, new friends, my teachers, all of it and before I could wipe anymore tears Veronica, (the school director) jumps from the bus, followed by Amanda, (my profesora) and her daughter! They were all laughing, smiling, crying, and said they wanted to go with me to the airport, their last moments with Bree! It was 5am by the way, it meant more than imaginable that they woke up to make the 2 hour trip with me. My tears were now hard laughter and huge smiles. Then walks around the bus, after I didn't think the morning could get better, was Danilo, my Nicaraguan Guardian Angel! He was smiling and laughing too and I ran to hug him the biggest hug he ever got in his whole life!
.
Let me tell you a bit about Danilo, he is not a hugger, he is one of those guys that would give the world, the shirt off his back, and his last fork of rice to anyone, but hugs-no. He also won't dance, and I'm pretty sure he's never kissed a girl. Even spending time alone with a girl is a huge deal. Every time I asked him to pal around with me he would ask his sister or brother to come too, except our 11 hour bus adventure, where I'm sure watching over me alone was more than a handful! It's the way he is, he was sold out for the woman of his dreams, his future bride, and he was so indescribably respectful to women. Once again, my ninera (babysitter, Guardian Angel) was there for me on that 2hour drive. The jokes with him and the teachers were endless. I loved to tell him how I was going to make him dance with me, he would blush so big. And I would always hug him and kiss his cheeks (everyone kisses cheeks in Central America when greeting), he was hilarious when I was around and he made me feel like the most beautiful woman in the world the way he treated women. How refreshing to see men like Danilo enthralled by the beauty of only his wife, even if he has yet to meet her...it gives me hope...
.
It is now New Years Eve! Moments of happy endings wrapped in new beginnings. My run this morning was under the most spectacular full blue moon! All 8 miles lit by the moon alone, not a single street light and no sunrise. Did you know the last time there was a full moon on New Years was 1990? The next time we will have a full moon on the New Year again will be 2028, so go look at it tonight! AND it has been 200 years since it was a full BLUE MOON! After Nicaragua, meeting Danilo, the night rainbow, the blue moon and full moon, there is no doubt the new year is going to be a favorite year of my life! The best part is having Kainoa on the last day of the old year and the first day of the new year! We spent today shopping at farmers markets and making a huge pot of black beans (I know, seriously, more beans and rice!). Tonight is Nicaraguan dinner at my house, plantains in coconut oil, fresh slow cooked black beans, pico de gallo, aguacate, and empanadas... .


video


MOST happy New Year... live it up, love it up, tear it up! Hope 2010 is fantastico for you!


Bree & Kainoa (he's sitting here drinking milk, not from a plastic bag straight from cow udders).

9 comments:

Regina said...

Happy New Year to you and Kainoa!!! What an adventure!

Ange said...

I was under that same blue moon this a.m. too...amazing. Here's to you and Kainoa in 2010!! the little ones make it ALL ok!

runningyankee said...

what a beautiful country! safe travels home.

DR said...

i love you photos! they are always so colorful and full of life! have a great year!

Kim said...

So glad you had an amazing experience. You soaked every bit up and took it with you in your heart for the new year. That's awesome Bree..glad you're back with Kainoa and I know 2010 will be a great, spectacular, awesome year!!

TriGirl Kate O said...

What an amazing trip you had! And now you're home with your little guy. Happy New Year, Bree. I hope 2010 is one of your best EVER.

Cricket said...

Beautiful Post Bree- Happy New Year! Love YOu-

CoachLiz said...

Glad to hear you made it home safe and sound. I think you have convinced me to soak a pot of beans tonight and cook them up for tomorrow.

Happy New Year!

Rosario said...

IT was so touching how the town fell in love with you. your ability to laugh at yourself and be honest is what makes it so easy to relate to your experiences.
I hope you have a great year for you and your little one.
take care
rosario