Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Lana'i...5 Stars...

Like I said, Costa Rica, camping under only the stars, sleeping on a futon, eating only beans and rice, never having to dress up, are fine for this girl. In fact, it's preferred... The 5 star life going on Lana'i is so VERY different. Today my mission was to "go with it". This morning when the sunscreen boy came around (after pineapples, cold towels, umbrellas, waters, ect.) I went for the "5 star spoiled treatment...I got sun screened!

I even took the umbrella (just not that foo foo lawn chair). The umbrella actually created the PERFECT shade for my hour of reading and writing :) Today was going to be a good day, I could tell...
Before I even begin this post, MAHALO to Pat and Mark for making such an incredible island hop so completely possible! What a blast...5 islands down, one more to go! Molokai anyone???
Today's plan was a swim, no problem! The water here is so different than in Kona. It's a sandy bottom with only a few coral beds. The bright white sand created the most amazing twinkle in the water. It was like an electric blue with the sun rays piercing through it, stringing shades of green! Oh it was captivating, alluring, and totally refreshing! Back and forth in a beautiful ocean of blue...



Today's discovery, other than the beauty of Lana'i, is that everywhere is beautiful in it's own way if you are happy with the company you keep. For example, Florida. I'll be honest, hoping Floridian's don't hold it against me, Florida is one of my least favorite places on the map to visit. I do my best to avoid racing there, to avoid traveling there, to just not be there. However, the very moment I step off the plane and see my mom waiting for me at the arrival gate Florida feels like the best place in the world! Hawaii and all the other lands I love drift away and I'm totally at peace in Florida, it becomes the best place I know.
.
Then we get to my sisters house, my aunts home, my parents, my grandma's, and Florida becomes like A DREAM land! Truly, the world is FULL of beautiful places, amazing views, and unforgettable horizons, (I know, I've seen lots of the world). However, it really isn't the beaches, the tall trees, the mountains, it is the people....the company... that make all the great places in the world so great.
.
Once I went to one of my most favorite little towns in Costa Rica and for a couple days of that trip it was so ugly to me. I wasn't fascinated by the beaches, the cute little towns, and even the beans and rice in that town tasted boring. That trip, I was traveling alone and I hadn't met any strangers to share the experience with. Soooooooooooo, after all this travel, and this trip to another Hawaiian island, I am convinced without a doubt, that really it's family, friends, and the people of all these places in the great big world that make the world beautiful...






After the beach we went to the country... ha ha... Lana'i is 2 very different worlds! Away from the beach you would have no idea (by looking at fotos only) that Lana'i is an island, in the Pacific, created by a volcano! This place is MAGIC like that! In fact, my friend Robin just filled me in on some Lana'i info. A few hundred years ago the edges of Lana'i fell off into the ocean creating the biggest tsunami ever to hit the islands. The edges of Lana'i are now some of the most tall, steepest cliffs in the world. AND I agree, I stood on the edge of a few of these cliffs, looked over at the ocean, and nearly shook out of my skin with fear! It's unreal...

The sun has now settled into the sky for another night...the stars are beginning to fill the sky. Turn down service just happened (chocolates included), and it's time to enjoy a little more 5 star living...the hot tub (under a sky of stars) is calling my name! A girls gotta recover from all this exploring right???
.
To all the people that make my life beautiful, thank you! AND mom, no offense about the Florida thing.
Bree

19 comments:

MM said...

Is getting sunscreened similar to what they do as you are running out of T2 in an IM? I'll try to imagine I'm at a 5 star resort next time.

ADC said...

Oh it looks beautiful. And I would happily enjoy the five star service.

Coach Liz said...

Hey, where was that guy when I needed sun screen applied to me in Cozumel at the change tent???

Looks like a beautiful trip!

t-odd said...

Sunscreening still seems like one of the worst jobs ever - at an IM or at a 5 star resort.

Lanai looks amazing. Enjoy the rest of the trip.

Jennifer Cunnane said...

Gorgeous, just gorgeous thanks for sharing especially for all of us on the mainland experiencing sub zero temperatures!

Jennifer Cunnane said...

Gorgeous, just gorgeous thanks for sharing especially for all of us on the mainland experiencing sub zero temperatures!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Ahhhhh sooooo jealous, (snowing out here)

greyhound said...

Sunscreen guy's job prolly isn't so desirable when triathletes in bikinis are not on the beach.

But bikinis aren't even your best feature. I envy the way you see beauty around you and would seek to emulate it.

Jill Costantino said...

so beautiful! Totally understand the Florida thing - mine is Sarnia - have you ever been there? They have 2 bridges (I must admit though - fantastic people) LOL!! Florida has Disney World - the happiest place on earth!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

You are so right about the people thing - for me it's the animals too. If I'm around my horse all is right with the world.

LOVE you in Jeans!! I think that's the first time I've seen you dressed like that.

Adorable, as always!

Jamie said...

Something seemed strange about that picture of you in jeans. After a minute, I realized that with the millions of pictures that you've posted, I'm not sure if I've ever seen you wearing pants! HAHA!

I completely agree though. It is not about the places you go, it is about the people that you share your travels with.

Have fun out there!

MaryMaryMyers said...

Wow, I know what you mean about FL... It's the last place I want to go but as soon as I see Linds and Grace, I feel instant happiness! I am excited to feel the sand of Siesta on my feet in a couple weeks. I wish you would be there, we could race each other to the water....ha ha ha!
P&L sweet Bree!

Christi said...

Again, I loved the great pictures! I think I will use one as my wallpaper because all I am seeing outside is frigid cold and dirty snowy streets! Yea, I am jealous!

Jenna said...

Nice to pop in on you and see all your fabulous photos - sigh. It is minus 50 million here in the canadian nowhere land. Sound slike you have doing what you do best, LOVING LIFE!!! I always feel energized when I come here - and now I must go book a vacation some where HOT.

Sherry said...

Breathtaking photos, Bree!

You are so right. 'People' make all the difference in the world! :o)

Iron Krista, "The Dog Mom" said...

As soon as you described the service I knew you were at Four Seasons :-) I do marketing for them & send out a lot of promotions for Lanai.... The pictures make me so jealous!

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

At the swimming pool I go to most days, they provide free towels, a heated outdoor spa, exclusive use of a 50m pool just for me, hot showers, shampoo, etc. I bring my own fruit and sunscreen! It is part of a 5-star hotel complex. I'm just getting used to living like a VIP so that it won't seem strange if one day I move to somewhere like Lanai! You are someone important and special, so it may be time for you to start living the "high" life. Maybe you need to visualize yourself as someone who can walk around with a credit card knowing that you can spend whatever you want and never have to pay the bills. I've come across those kinds of people in Hawai'i (with rich, doting grandparents), although I've never met a happy one, so I guess having the daily struggles to make ends meet, and the pollution, etc. makes life a bit more meaningful. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Wallace said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wallace said...

Sorry to be a buzzkill, but, you're not supposed to touch the coral. It has a tendency to kill it.