Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Lana'i..."Turn Down"...

Like a little girl at Christmas, I was in awe, wonder, and totally amazed! Could this be real? A trip to Lana'i on the littlest plane I've ever seen, flying over the Pacific so close to all the Hawaiian islands, so close I wanted to reach out and touch them! It was a dream...and I am now listening to the ocean, amazed at my day, and feeling pretty happy...

I've never been in a private plane so this was pretty spectacular to me. We got to wear head sets that made me feel like Tom Cruise in Top Gun. However, I was too speechless to really take full advantage of mine.
We were on our way to Lana'i. From the flight I was able to get a birds eye view of the island of Kahoolawe!! This is perhaps the island I want to visit most, however being a nonHawaiian girl I have a better chance of swimming there then a plane ever getting me there. For sure this flight was the closest I might ever get, it was good enough...not much to see on that island...

Soon Lana'i came into view... population just over 3,000. It was beautiful from the sky. Soon enough I discovered it was beautiful to run around too! Roads and trails of red, a lot like Kauai. I love running in new places. The simplicity of only needing run shoes makes it all so worthwhile to see-what-you-see....
What a beautiful run, I better say that again like I mean it, "WHAT A BEAUTIFUL RUN!". A little trail along the coast, the most perfect 70* temperature, it was all the good things that running is...this is my life! Totally in shock, totally pinching myself that I took a little plane with some friends, to a little island, and was spending the day running around like this...

The beaches were nice too. However, I needed to escape the comfort of the beach resort. The hotel we were given is $800 a night kind of place. Never have I been in a place like this, it's not fully my style, but I did my best to act like I belong. After pineapples, waters, cold towels, umbrellas, and sunscreen were brought out by the hour I needed to get back to my reality...so I took a nice walk away from it all...to a quiet spot...like the kind I know....
.
I'm not saying I didn't appreciate it, it just felt weird. And I have another story... tonight I was home-alone or hotel-alone, watching Snowman on TV when I heard a knock on the door. I thought it was Pat so I shout for him to come in. More knocking, so I get up to get it. It's an employ of the hotel telling me something about turn down. She repeated, "Time to turn down". I told her I was so sorry, I love Frosty The Snow Man, I didn't realize my TV was so loud, I'll turn it down. She came in, told me, she would do turn down. Then she gave me waters and was heading for my messy bed. I told her no need, she told me she wants to "turn down" my bed... ha ha....... never in my life have I been so spoiled in a hotel, hilarious! I wish I could say I could get use to this, but again, not my style, except getting free waters!!



Tahiti! My dream trip! Again, this might be as close as I get to this island, nah, I think I'll get there one day :) You don't have to be fully Hawaiian to visit, like Kahoolawe. Yes, I did find a stray cat, loved him!

The thing I noticed most about this island is that it's far from "tropical". In fact, it felt like I was in the country somewhere most the day. Lots of farm area, horses, not much beach at all, and I only saw 3 cars, all the rest were huge pick up trucks and tractors. Not to mention, it's very cold here. Even at the beach I had to have my beach blanket on! Now it's bed time, a sky full of stars are above me, waves crashing outside, and pineapple in my belly. Ahhhh, life is good. Tomorrow is a swim, where I hope to discover the beauty under the sea!!
.
Good night from Lana'i!
Bree

16 comments:

ADC said...

I was just about to say that the island does not look very tropical. It is beautiful though.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Wow, those pics are great!!!! And the sardine plane would scare me a little.

Coach Liz said...

You cracked me up Bree! "Oh, I'll turn the TV volume down..." Did they give you little chocolates with the turn down? Some chocolate covered dried pineapple would have been good. Yum! I have my first run scheduled this morning and it will not be as beautiful as your run. At least I will have some sunshine.

Enjoy your mini vacation!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

What a wonderful holiday adventure for you! Love the pics!!

Dave said...

You should ask to sit in front on the way home and fly a little bit from the copilot seat!

Teresa said...

Beautiful photos and so much fun. Mark would have died on a plane that small :) Never understood that turn down thing, only happened to us once, put we did get some chocolate out of it! Enjoy the rest of your trip!!!

tn

Julia said...

so beautiful!
I'm so jealous.... its so cold here!

Tim Kasparek said...

Amazing!

Beth said...

What an amazing trip!! I totally wouldn't have known what the hotel employee wanted with the "turn down" either...so don't feel bad. :) I had no idea there were parts of Hawaii that you couldn't go to unless you were 100% Hawaiian either! Geez!! Hope your under the sea adventure was great today!

Regina said...

Beautiful! what a great place for a run or a sit, or nothing.

Turn down..? that is too funny, you had me rolling. Even funnier is you sitting and watching snowmen in sunny Hawaii.

Lisa said...

Oh my - what an amazing experience! Your photos are awesome :)
hehe and LOVE the 'turn down' confusion!

Julie said...

I worked for my aunt and uncle at their fancy schmancy B&B (read: big HONKING mansion!) one summer...They offered turn down service as well -- otherwise I'd never know what it was either. Hahahaha!

That total pampering thing is so not my style either -- but sometimes it's good to get out of our comfort zones eh? :) :)

Trigirlpink said...

Really enjoying this as I sit here in 36 degree temps with an icy/snow mix outside. Pictures are way cool.

Take kitty home? :-)

Jen's World said...

very cool. Thanks for letting us share in your 'island adventures!' :)

Jen

Mango said...

My wife and I had the same experience at a fancy hotel last year. I thought it was some creep trying to get in out room, so I said no way and closed the door. I had never heard of a turn down service.

keep the stories coming!

-Mango

Christi said...

Wonderful pictures Bree!