Monday, December 28, 2009

Lo Que Siempre Sonamos Ser...

A beautiful morning, only 3 days till my son is in my arms! The faces of the children here have brought me many moments of laughter, compassion, tears, and joy. They have kept me company and given me hugs to last a lifetime. They have been my children during the holiday and have me more than ready to return to Kainoa...
Sunset on the beach, studying for my final test tomorrow. My profesora is giving me off tomorrow morning so I can prepare. My exam is from 1-5pm...estoy lista. I have learned more than Spanish, I have dove head and heart first into this experience. Letting go of as much of me as I could and living, embracing as much of this culture, as possible...
The joy that lingers throughout this tiny town, the smiles that shine through poverty, and the thankfulness that is felt during another beans and rice dinner has been discovered. The friends I have made have shared their secret to happiness in this life, and it's not that their life is so much better or worse than ours, its just different, very different. They have taught me that the sweet spot in this life is to be able to enjoy where you've been and where you are going. Where you've been (good, bad, or challenging) is finding appreciation. Where you are going, is hope...
Several runs in a row with the same socks, a dirt trail, and my dusty KSwiss. I learned I am blessed to even have socks and even more blessed to have shoes. These socks will run all my runs till I am back in Hawaii, these shoes will stay in Nicaragua.
At dinner tonight, a young girl and her aunt walked over to me. The girl grabbed my water bottle and just started drinking as if she has spent days with little or no water. Her aunt grabbed my salad and began to eat, off my fork, without hesitation or asking. Speechless. What do you do, what do you say in a moment like that. I've never seen or met the girls.
After yesterday's adventure, Danillo came to check on me, he has no idea how I have made it this long in Nicaragua without him. He watched over me all morning at school, and walking through town, and even on a field trip with my profesora. He was so serious making sure the crazy American girl stayed away from trouble, the thing is, talking or even smiling can get you into trouble with the wrong person at the wrong time. Look how serious he is, all business. In a moment like this I feel thankful for those who care about me...thank you Danillo, I promise to be safe and stop walking around by myself...
.
Lo Que Siempre Sonamos Ser...what we always dreamed we would be.
Bree
.

7 comments:

Xavi Garcia said...

Nice and beautiful posts and pics!

"XTB" Xavi from Hong Kong!

ADC said...

Home soon!!! Yay! Now enjoy your last few days in Nicaragua.

Ange said...

You live an amazing life Bree. love reading of your adventures....glad you'll be back with Kainoa soon too.

Jill Costantino said...

3 more days woohoo!!! Rock your test today!
Fantastic pics!
3 more days!

Charisa said...

What a great trip and such good learning! So happy you get to see your son soon :) Thanks for posting all your pics and memories!

Coach Liz said...

Danillo and your Profesora look like all of my relatives in Mexico when they take pictures. All business, as you say. Hope your test goes well.

Oscarjet said...

AMIGAAAA ! que dias mas divertidos ! cuando te retires del triatlon......hazte fotografa !! haces unas fotos muy buenas !
Abrazos de tu amigo da SPAIN !!
p.s :next race?????