Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Papayas by the Sea...

Recovery swim...
My get-away on the jetski...
Looking into the blue...
Amigo Favorito...
My last hours in Cozumel were spent next to the sea, colors of blue surrounded me, the sun was shining down, children were playing in the sand, and I had a papaya in my hands. Such a beautiful life is all I could say over and over, about my life. I wanted one last look from the end of the pier so I left my Argentina amigo in the sand tomando el sol and I was alone with my thoughts. Of course my thoughts were soon interrupted by a man on a jet ski that was riding waves.
.
My 2 thoughts were to jump off the end of the pier and pretend I need rescuing as to get a ride or wave like a crazy lady in need of his help. I waved like a crazy lady and the jet ski soon came to meet me at the end of the pier. After reassuring him I knew how to swim I dove into the sea and was soon on the back of a jet ski playing in the waves. The moment reminded me of a woman in love getting rescued by her prince charming then riding off into a beautiful sunset…but I wasn’t in love with “Hernando” and I didn’t need rescuing from my life, I just wanted a fast ride in colors of blue.
.
The ride ended up with a nice walk along a sandy white beach. This time I got to enjoy my thoughts. I thought a lot about triathlon and how I invest so much into it all out of the passion I have for it. Then I thought about how this season I would have felt so unsatisfied with my race results if I hadn’t come to Mexico for one more effort, one more chance to push through, one more round. Eneko Llanos was telling Pablo that when his races, or season in sport does not go as planned, he continues on as long as he is enjoying it, and if a day comes he isn’t loving it then it’s time to move on. As for me, I am still crazy in love with this sport, crazy about figuring it, crazy about how it makes life better for me and my son.
.
With that, I was content and could put this season at rest. Time to enjoy the holidays, the simple things I love, more beach days with Kainoa, running just to run, and whatever else life has in store for me. When coach gives me the green light to make my 2010 plans I will be ready. I’m going to put my peso payday in the bank with a smile, thankful again that at this time in my life, this is my career.
.
During the flight I finished reading that book, "The Last Lecture", you should read it... it's amazing how easy it is to be content with the life you have when you realize time is all you have. It makes you want to just live fully alive, take chances, make a move, risk nothing, dare to dream, and of course never settle in a moment when you know you can make the moment better. The part that hit me on the way home was when he said, "Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted". That pretty much sums up my entire life, all areas of it this season. Sport, love, family, finances, I got a lot of experience in all those areas...and experience when met with opportunity is when dreams come true right???
.
Okay, Kainoa and I are off on another Floridian adventure. As long as no gators are involved I'm sure it will be a nice day. And of course, my bike, lost in the USA. Looks like I might really have an "off season". Enjoy the day!!
Bree


15 comments:

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Coming back here, huh?
drop me a line and I'll introduce you to the SunCoast Parkway this weekend. Lot's of safe scenic riding (if you are doing it for the first time)

Teresa said...

A few last days in Mexico seem like they were the perfect thing for you to wrap up your season. What a year! Congrats and happy holidays!

tn

t-odd said...

What is Mr. Washboard Abs carrying in that small satchel around his waist. Oh, wait, that's his SWIMSUIT!? Dear god how did you avert your eyes to get that photo.

I really am amazed at how centered you are this year. Enjoy your off season. Hug that kid. Get ready for 2010. You deserve your wonderful life.

Coach Liz said...

I am glad that you are happy with the outcome of your 2009 racing season.

I gained a whole lot of experience on Sunday's run. At times it was really miserable. But in the end, I am satisfied. I had some fantastic highlights on Sunday and was taken care of so well by the people of Cozumel and Mexico while in the Med Tent. No one said getting a PR was going to be easy. As I slept on that cot in the Med Tent, I had a dream about the dolphins at Chankannab and I woke up feeling much better and with a smile on my face. My tears had been replaced with satisfaction and a little pride in my effort.

Have a great time with Kainoa in Florida and safe travels home.

MM said...

What a great book. I read it last year. Have a happy off season.

Jenny Garrison said...

Bree, Congrats on a fantastic year. It nevers matters the outcome but always the journey! You always have great journeys! Have a wonderful holiday and hope to see you next year.

Shelley said...

Have a wonderful rest filled holiday. It has been a pleasure to follow your blog this year and it has been such a huge inspiration to me. Thanks for the book recommendation, I will buy it for sure.
Take care and hope next year is just as much and MORE fun filled for you!

Christi said...

Have a great holiday season Bree!

IAN said...

Congrats on a great season Bree. I know you don't think the "results" were great but the real results are in the experiences you had and the knowledge you gained. Enjoy the off season, you earned it. Can't wait to race with you next year!!
Aloha

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Beautiful post Bree! So happy for you.

Pablo said...

Me encanto este post Bree!! Eres unica! Lo que contas es tan real y me pone contento saber que te apasiona tanto este deporte y esta frase es la mejor:
"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted"
Un beso

Beth said...

Great thoughts Bree. And congrats on a great year!! I always think - if we reached all our goals and got what we wanted, what would keep us coming back? :) Looking forward to following along on more of your journeys next year! :)

Lisa said...

What a beautiful end to your year! I am sure you will have even bigger and better adventures in the future! Look forward to reading about them :)

GoBigGreen said...

OMG this cracks me up. Bc one time long long ago ( well not that long ago, but years..) I had to rescued by the Jetski ( David Hasselhoff meets Hernando) bc I couldnt get my windsurfer back to the beach in Coz and I Was headed to the mainland! HHAHAAHAA!

Enjoy the holiday Bree! Coz is my favorite:)

ADC said...

Definitely a great season Bree and I kind of, in a weird way, felt part of it I was religiously reading your blog and following your adventures. Enjoy the offseason.