Wednesday, January 20, 2010

7.5...

Big 7.5. I'm not talking about the size of the waves around here, I'm talking about my training week....a whopping 7.5 hours! Coach said it would be challenging and I would struggle with this more than having 40 hours a week (which has never happened swimbikerun), and midweek-he is right! Monday was the Ironman swim, nap, nap, movie. Tuesday was a ride. Today was a run and soon I'll go swim. The rest of the week is similar, including a FULL day off.
.
I'm not sick, burned out, injured, or unmotivated, thankfully none of the above...I'm on "RECOVERY WEEK". Feels like a taper since I don't get to fill my time with adventures, instead I'm doing the exact opposite of training, I'm recovering, rebuilding. Coach is teaching me this season to focus on this "other equally as important" area of sport.
.
The feet have been up, not even experimenting in the kitchen this week! Movies are my friend, I've been watching a lot of Tim Curran (the man in the foto) and Kalani Robb flicks (they are my favorite surfers). I've slept during the day too! Truthfully I feel lazy and this is discipline if ever I met discipline. Tomorrow my training partners are riding my favorite South Loop, 3-4 hours, I get to spin easy for 1 hour of it.... oh boy!
.
Here are some recovery links I've discovered while "recovering" , I just skimmed and scammed them, some useful info, I'm just trusting coach on this one.
Exercise Recovery
Sports Performance Recovery
Enhancing Recovery
.
The bright side, I've gotten to see the whales breach, catch up with my mom on the phone, organize Kainoa's baby book (finally!), and I'm learning to chill out. Hope your training and your recovery is going well!
.
Bree

18 comments:

TriGirl Kate O said...

Any day you get to see whales should count as an AWESOME day. They intrigue me so! Your recovery week is my average week. Ack.

CoachLiz said...

At least your recovery is not forced on your because of an injury. Enjoy watching movies and kicking your feet up. I have been kniting a hat on my recovery week.

D said...

Good girl! I <3 recovery. I'm starting to think my job seriously hinders necessary recovery, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. Well, except getting paid to watch movies ;)

Mama Simmons said...

Oh I bet regular recovery weeks will enhance your BIG training like never before! Good for you. :)

MM said...

Do you get to surf during your recovery weeks ?

ADC said...

Just enjoy it and do stuff you don't normally have time for. But all with keeping your feet up :)

t-odd said...

Yeah, "Recovery Week"! I think I have one of those coming up soon. Keep enjoying your "feet-up" time and it will be interesting to see the gains you make.

Amanda said...

Wow. looks like this is a year of learning balance...and learning to slow down. some days, i read and i wonder how you do it all - swim, bike, run, raise Kainoa, surf, cook, lift, AND play! Hope you enjoy the down time...and rest up for what is sure to be another great training block!

ShirleyPerly said...

Yeah, I'm often chomping at the bit too when my workout hrs drop below 10. But in Hawaii I think it would be even harder. I need to get back to playing piano or reading or something ...

Happy resting & recovering!

Jill Costantino said...

Ah Recovery! There is something so blissfull about it! Mines next week and I am looking forward to it!
Enjoy yours:))))
Oh - I am with you on catching up on the baby book too - I haven't gotten any pics developed in 18 months ouch!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

I need to try that.... in reverse..
My training usually goes... recovery week, recovery week, recovery week, semi inspired week, recovery week, recovery week... you get the idea.

Enjoy!

Alex said...

Great articles on recovery!

Regina said...

Ah.....recovery, like music to the ears. Mine is next week...It's like waiting for Christmas to get here when I was 5.

Go Gammie said...

Awesome surf photo!! Nice to see you are getting recovery weeks :) Always great to look forward to and enjoy.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Maybe you and I can cross-coach each other...I'm a genius at recovery - not so good at the training :-)

Kiet said...

Bree, please tell coach no recovery week stuff for Feb. 2-16. You'll have a faithful partner for all of your workouts and I'll push you as best I can. No work, no play, just dedicated time to being your humble sherpa!

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

YES - you CAN do it! Enjoy the recovery week, stay strong! NAP! Have fun...recover! :) And then return stronger than ever!

Teresa said...

Enjoy, dream and soak it up....I am sure he has some grand plans in the upcoming weeks. I count down the days to recovery weeks. ENJOY.

tn